Florida Ballistic Statute Update

CJ Buck

Here is an update from Rick Watson. Rick is the lobbyist hired by the Florida Cutlery Association to get the definition for Ballistic Knives, which are illegal in Florida, clarified to exclude Automatics (switchblades).

AKTI contiinues to act as a funds collection point for this effort and AKTI members continue to make donations. The FCA is responsible for all strategy development and implementation.

They still need to raise another $4000 to get them up to maximize the benchmade commitment (2-1 match on first $10k raised - 5k)

I will continue to use this forum to help them moblize any grass roots efforts and keep communication lines open.

cj

------------------------------------------------

Here's an update on the bills:

HB 1227 (Evers-R, Milton & Mayfield-R, Vero Beach)

The house bill received favorable references. We have the Criminal Justice Subcommittee and the Public Safety & Crime Prevention Committee. A request for hearing has been filed and I have provided the background packet of material to the staff analyst. The information provided to me from the 1985 Legislative Session when the original bill passed is very persuasive. Also, the letter from the Senator who passed the bill in 1985 stating that the current court interpretation is incorrect carries a great deal of weight.

Representative Mayfield has signed on as cosponsor. I expect Representative Waters (R-St. Petersburg) and Representative Baker (R.-Eustis) to sign on as well. As you know, Representative Baker handled the amendment for us last year. He owns a gun and knife shop in Mt. Dora and is now serving in Saudi Arabia. His staff has not received final word from him, but expects to hear from him this week.

SB 2256 (Bennett-R, Sarasota)

The senate bill was referenced on Friday. We pulled good committee references in the Senate. The bill will be heard by the Criminal Justice Committee and the Judiciary Committee. The sponsor has requested a hearing in the first committee. I spoke to the analyst in the first committee on Friday and provided our information packet. Our information is more extensive than she could find in archives!

To download the text of the bills, Go to leg.state.fl.us and follow the prompts for House or Senate.

Assignments from Last Week:

Winston: Have you been able to get a letter from the judge in the trial court? Did you talk to any of the Broward County Democrats about the bill?

Tierney: Attached are drafts about the economic impact which have been prepared by Microtech. Figures are being gathered, but the rest of the Distribution List needs to send me any comments. Microtech is also working on getting letters from some of the law enforcement community in their area. If anyone else can get letters from law enforcement supporting the bill, let me know.

Corn and Piergallini: Corn has donated knives as a gift for the sponsors. He is also sending me sample knives for the demonstration at the committee hearing.

Watson: I'll determine this week if we're going to have to make a grassroots push to get the bills heard. If I don't have a good indication by late in the week, I'll send an Alert to the larger distribution list.

CONTRIBUTIONS:

Contributions continue to be sent for the effort. The total raised by Florida Cutlery Association is $8,984. This figure includes a $2500 contribution from Benchmade for its matching commitment on the first $5,000 raised on a $1 to $2 basis. Thanks again to Benchmade! Attached in an Excel document is the current contribution list.

Stay tuned...

Rick

Back