Florida Laws

antixbush

BANNED
Hey im trying to hunt down the knife laws for florida, Recently acquired an auto OTF and a SOG pentagon elite II. Not sure about the AUTO laws or the laws for knife size. The Elite II blade size is 5 inches. overall its a 10+ inch knife. thanks!

FL law on concealed folders is VERY vague. any knife "other than a common pocket knife" is how it reads. i've had (fellow) LEO's tell me a one handed folder with a clip is NOT a common pocket knife, that only a little slip joint or lockback is a common pocket knife. i know other LEO's who feel a one handed opener with a clip IS common, but auto's are NOT. personally, i wouldn't risk it and i've always argued that carrying them is legal.

here's a interesting little tid bit, though: the statute only covers carrying knives CONCEALED. so, while an auto is (arguably) illegal in your pocket, it is CLEARLY legal if open carried.

FL has NO statute banning autos, the "self propelled" knife statute was ammended for clarity. they are only covered under the concealed weapon statute.

easiest thing is apply for your concealed weapons permit, as long as you qualify. then you're good to go on (virtually) whatever you feel inclined to carry.

FL law on concealed folders is VERY vague. any knife "other than a common pocket knife" is how it reads. i've had (fellow) LEO's tell me a one handed folder with a clip is NOT a common pocket knife, that only a little slip joint or lockback is a common pocket knife. i know other LEO's who feel a one handed opener with a clip IS common, but auto's are NOT. personally, i wouldn't risk it and i've always argued that carrying them is legal.

here's a interesting little tid bit, though: the statute only covers carrying knives CONCEALED. so, while an auto is (arguably) illegal in your pocket, it is CLEARLY legal if open carried.

FL has NO statute banning autos, the "self propelled" knife statute was ammended for clarity. they are only covered under the concealed weapon statute.

easiest thing is apply for your concealed weapons permit, as long as you qualify. then you're good to go on (virtually) whatever you feel inclined to carry.

**disclaimer assume all scenarios below describe a CCW holding person**

yes, you can carry it as a concealed weapon. But I wonder if that means you can only use it as a weapon. If you are sitting in public and pull your pistol out to use it as a hammer or toss it to knock a frisbee out of a tree, then that is breaking the law. So if you bust out your concealed auto-knife weapon to cut open dvd package, is that illeagal? I suppose if you are openly carrying (normal pockt clip method with butt/front of knife showing) a benchmade griptilian "weapon", then you can still use it in public for "knife tasks" right?

What I am getting at is, what would be the differences in being able to use in public... a concealed blade vs. an openly carried blade.

actually, I think the reason you can't pull out a pistol and use it as a hammer is because pistols DO have laws regarding display and carry out in the open. Otherwise, the penalty would consist of a Darwin award for when it goes off in your hand and ventilates your chest. :D

I'll ask a few LEO friends of mine about their opinions when I get a chance, but I'm pretty sure an automatic knife is okay to use as a regular knife as long as it's clearly being used as a tool, and not a weapon.

Disclaimer: I'm not a LEO or a lawyer, but I have spent several hours perusing FL weapon laws in the past in search of knife restrictions. In fact, I was thumbing through a manual from the Orange County Sheriff's Office yesterday that covered restrictions and penalties in a broad sense, and included pretty much everything under that umbrella (yeah, it's pretty damn big.) Outside of ballistic knives, the number of times the subject of knife carry comes up can be counted on one hand that's missing a few fingers.

Oh, and zignal_zero... nice handle. :D

**disclaimer assume all scenarios below describe a CCW holding person**

yes, you can carry it as a concealed weapon. But I wonder if that means you can only use it as a weapon. If you are sitting in public and pull your pistol out to use it as a hammer or toss it to knock a frisbee out of a tree, then that is breaking the law. So if you bust out your concealed auto-knife weapon to cut open dvd package, is that illeagal? I suppose if you are openly carrying (normal pockt clip method with butt/front of knife showing) a benchmade griptilian "weapon", then you can still use it in public for "knife tasks" right?

What I am getting at is, what would be the differences in being able to use in public... a concealed blade vs. an openly carried blade.

the only statute i know of that pertains to the exhibition of a weapon is FSS 790.10

it does apply to non firearm weapons, but requires they be exhibited in a rude, careles, angry or threatening manner (exemption for SD). so (IMO) opening a box with a switchblade would NOT meet the requirements for a violation of this statute.

KennyJ, you like the handle? thanx :) my COD4 clan is named Sig5 :D

Back