flying with knives

Wilfred17

Gold Member
I'm vacationing in Colorado USA , earth. made the prerequisite stop @ spyderco and purchased a few knives. the dilemma is - do I pack the knives in my checked baggage, or mail everything home ?
thanks for any input or horror stories

Solution
I and friends of mine have had knives stolen from checked bags by TSA or whomever. Try and plead your case to the airlines - after you say the word "knife" the conversation usually drops off quickly. Personally, I'd go right to FedEx and have them packed up in advance. Do 2 or 3 day shipping and insure them. All worries taken care of...
Honestly, the way USPS has been working lately, that would be my LAST choice.

I’ve never had anything lifted from checked baggage, but it’s been a few years since I’ve checked anything valuable.

If I was highly concerned AND had the opportunity, I’d use FEDEX or UPS. Otherwise, I’d probably check them in my bags and hope for the best.

I have taken hundreds of flights all over the planet, many in the US, with knives in my checked bags without any problems.:)

Now big blocks of micarta or G10.......thats another issue!o_O🤣

I haven't had any issues with knives in my checked luggage. I typically throw them in the same bag as my hygiene/grooming supplies, that way I know where it is. If I'm concerned about someone rifiling through my stuff, I'll wrap it in a sock and stuff it in a shoe, just to make it less obvious to someone quickly rummaging through my stuff looking for valuables.

I wouldn't recommend autos and balis (restricted items) on international flights. If you have to take them, might have dissemble.

I know this is at least true for China a few years back, not sure if laws changed.

Good luck!

I fly back home to Florida for weeks at at time a few times a year, and I always have an internal debate between the two. So far I have always checked them and so far have had no problems. I instantly get them out of my luggage and put them in pocket right there by the baggage carousel. More than once I've needed to cut something or use my multi-tool on the ride home, so it's nice to have them in the pocket instantly.

On a side note, do any of you guys ever have the feeling like you're forgetting something when you head out to the airport simply because you can't feel your EDC in your pockets? It happens to me every time.

Last edited:
with "good" knives, i'd put them in a usps priority small flat rate box and mail them. cheap and reliable for me several
hundreds of times over 12 yrs.

I travel regularly for work and spent 220 nights in a hotel in 2020 during the height of Covid. To say I fly alot is an understatement.

I pack a PM2 or Manix 2 plus a Leatherman Supertool 200 in my checked bag on every trip and have for years and years. Never had an issue in the US, Canada, or Europe. They are always placed down inside my steel toe boots and I cram my socks down behind them to keep them from rolling around in my suitcase.

When working in China or Malaysia, I have drop shipped them thru the company to be waiting on me when I get to one of our plants. No issues there either.

NOTE: Do not fly into or through China with a Bic lighter. I'm not a smoker but have been carrying a Bic in my laptop bag for years and Chinese security does not like it. Not a bit. You will miss your next flight if you are connecting in Beijing. Ask me how I know...😀

If I got checked in bag - knives always go that way.

But I sent by mail few times too, but softly forced - not by my free will.

Doesn't that drive the metal detectors and scanners crazy?
The metal detectors will discover the loose blade and all the other metal objects in my luggage including my tripod and goose neck iPad holder. Not many will pilfer a loose blade. Thieves are lazy, not looking for a project.

I and friends of mine have had knives stolen from checked bags by TSA or whomever. Try and plead your case to the airlines - after you say the word "knife" the conversation usually drops off quickly. Personally, I'd go right to FedEx and have them packed up in advance. Do 2 or 3 day shipping and insure them. All worries taken care of...

Solution
Back