Flytanium 940 Scales in Titanium/Copper/Brass/Carbon Fiber

They have Bugout scales coming too, and at least those are also drilled for a left side clip. Are these for the 940, or the 940 - 2/1? I've seen other custom scales which specify the model, so I'm not sure the scales are interchangeable.

The look nice, but I'm not putting Chinese scales on my 94X knives.

I understand that but I’ve wanted a Ti 940 for a while. I could try to hunt down one the few Benchmade released and pay $600+ but this will do fine. I’ve got a set of copper Flytanium on my PM2. Those are very well-made. The Ti are Putnums.

i.ashx

They have Bugout scales coming too, and at least those are also drilled for a left side clip. Are these for the 940, or the 940 - 2/1? I've seen other custom scales which specify the model, so I'm not sure the scales are interchangeable.

They specify these will fit any 940 because they come with the barrel spacers.

Love the titanium 940 scales.Damn it,Looks like Flytanium is about to corner the market on pocket knife scales.

Hopefully they get their quality controls up, as I received a pair of carbon fiber scales with less than stellar finishing.With scratches on the flat sections,un chamfered edges and hanging cloth fibers.

Love the titanium 940 scales.Damn it,Looks like Flytanium is about to corner the market on pocket knife scales.

Hopefully they get their quality controls up, as I received a pair of carbon fiber scales with less than stellar finishing.With scratches on the flat sections,un chamfered edges and hanging cloth fibers.

I hope the copper & titanium 940 scales are nice or I’ll be pretty disappointed. The PM2 copper scales shown above and titanium scales on my 51 & 32 are very nice.

i.ashx

Is flytanium a Chinese company? What makes you guys say that?

Copy/paste from the product page for the 940 titanium scales:
-Grade 5 Titanium
-Flytanium Design
-Precision Milled in China
-Polished Stonewash Finish

Not all of the items are machined in China though. The Benchmade 32/51 Balisong scales are machined in the U.S.A.

I have a set of RSD Ti scales for the 940 but just ordered a copper set. I have a copper lanyard bead that have been waiting for this. Can't wait. :)

I ordered a Ti piece, didn't say made in china. Started noticing made in china on other items, emailed and asked if it's chinese, yes. Cancelled order.

Surely these can be made in the USA.

Installed
A few notes:
  • Yes, these are made in China. If you want titanium scales made in the US you can get them for a higher price if you’re lucky enough to snag them. I couldn’t snag them so I got a set of readily-available scales from China.
  • I love the copper scales. They have a great feel and are already obtaining a nice patina. I’m so-so on the Ti scales. They’re nice but the finish is a bit strange. It’s a stonewash but it has a light texture. I’d prefer either smooth stonewash or bead blast.
  • The copper scales came with a few dings. I didn’t mind since copper is soft and will acquire marks but it’s worth noting.
  • Flytanium provides titanium screws and stand-offs so these can be used with any 940.
  • I had issues with the screws that engage the factory liners. Only four of the eight screws (four in each kit) would engage the liner threads. It looks like the beginning of the threads on the four screws that didn’t work were not cut well. I used the four factory screws with the copper scales. I actually like the way black ones look but it’s definitely a problem.
  • You cannot use factory stand-offs with these scales; they will not seat in the Flytanium scales. See the included photo.
  • There is a bit of side-to-side play with these scales that I can’t seem to get rid of without over tightening the pivot.
  • Drilled/tapped for right-hand pocket clip only.
i.ashx

i.ashx

i.ashx

i.ashx

i.ashx

i.ashx

i.ashx

i.ashx

I ordered a Ti piece, didn't say made in china. Started noticing made in china on other items, emailed and asked if it's chinese, yes. Cancelled order.

Surely these can be made in the USA.
Sure they can, and cost 2-3x more.

Sure they can, and cost 2-3x more.

Rockscale design makes Ti scales for the 940 at about twice the cost. I would have bought them if them were ever in stock. Even when you get an email notification they're gone quickly.
The copper scales are the real winner to me though. I ECD that one. I'm not aware of anyone in the US doing them in copper.

Back