Fodderwing Gets Some New Pants

What a great Sunday treat Dave, fantastic work my friend :) Nice to know those are going to Dwight :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack!

Excellent photos Dave :cool: :thumbsup:
Quick question... Do you simply dunk the leather or do you "case" it?

Thanks John its a little bit of both. I use a product called Pro Carv in my water. It gives many of the properties of traditionally cased leather to your project with out the wait. So nowadays the only time I still actually case something is like those tapaderos where there was a lot of shaping to do too.

Horsewright Horsewright -
There is nothing quite so satisfying as witnessing a master engaged in his craft. I am amazed at the level of complexity and the number of individual steps involved but now I understand why I’ve been so drawn to your work. Fascinating documentation Dave. Thank you sir. They will be cherished.

Thanks Dwight and thanks for the opportunity to share this with everyone.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks John its a little bit of both. I use a product called Pro Carv in my water. It gives many of the properties of traditionally cased leather to your project with out the wait. So nowadays the only time I still actually case something is like those tapaderos where there was a lot of shaping to do too.
You truly are a wealth of little tricks... Pro Carve and oven baking, thanks. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

Great Tutorial, Dave. I like how you show the tools up close, as it's always hard to know exactly what tool someone is talking about when they are giving instructions. The up-close pics takes the guesswork out of it.

Great Tutorial, Dave. I like how you show the tools up close, as it's always hard to know exactly what tool someone is talking about when they are giving instructions. The up-close pics takes the guesswork out of it.

Ya bet Amy. Glad that was helpful!

Another stellar thread.
Once again, Thank You Dave!

Thanks! Ah man, Sundays commute was just terrible. I mean stopped traffic everywhere:

sgfoCGg.jpg

Nothing a guy could do but adapt:

YXUJtCq.jpg

GFu7hkV.jpg

qZzXU1C.jpg

Thanks guys!! Dusty One Dusty One and abbydaddy abbydaddy and teddy1093 teddy1093

Thank you for generously providing this tutorial and all the others you have done in the past. Very instructional and inspiring.

I learned more from this thread than I have in a long time.

Dave,

Thank you so much for this. I have been wanted to try your style of carry and stitch for some time. Frankly, I plan on copying you a fair few times from this thread to learn your craft. I will always credit you and never sell these items. When I get your style down in a way I am comfortable with - I will then incorporate it into my craft.

You are a true artist and I love your work. In fact, I just sent a customer to you last week who asked for Chaps. I hope they order.

Thank you for being a mentor of mine without ever taking me on as a student.

I do have a few questions:

1) You dab your Antiquing recipe into the cut and carved sections of your middle with a foam brush? You don't have any overrun on to the pristine areas?

2) You use a deck cleaner? What product is this and what does it remove?

3) You leave a very generous gap around the finger guard for a welt and a stitch. Why not bring this closer? I am sure this was wisdom hard won over time - but I wanted to know your reasoning so that I may learn sir.

Jason

Back