Folder under lateral force

Cliff Stamp

BANNED
Awhile back on the Buck forum you posted the torque spec's for the Buck/Strider folder and they were fairly impressive. Combine these with the blade shape and it looks very solid. My only question is how does it react to lateral force, like prying with the flat of the blade. On many folders this is a large weak point and you can pop them apart fairly easily.

-Cliff

With one inch of blade in a vice, I used my body weight (185lbs) to bend the knife. I first bent the blade to about a sixty degree angle. Removed the blade and checked it out. No visible failure. Next I bent the blade back and forth like a rabid dog, achieving at least a 60 degree angle in each direction. I did this for about a minute. With no failure. It was obvious however that if I had wanted to I could have bent the knife to failure.

I will look further into this and get some hard data with the Buck Knives knife mutilator and measurer.

Talk to you soon.

MS

"Buck Knives knife mutilator and measurer."

This sounds like a job Cliff was born to do!! Especially the "mutilator" part...
biggrin.gif

------------------
"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm."
RFrost5746@excite.com

My Knives

is that right...the blade bent and not the handle!!!!!! isnt the blade .250" ATS?

Wow! The frame held together! Glad I traded for a Buck Strider. I thought it looked like a folder that could be depended on to back up my fixed blade. Now it looks like it can handle the primary role when a fixed blade is not an option.

Brad

No, most of the bending was at the pivot point.

The blade thickness on the Strider/Buck is .190

Talk to you guys soon.

MS

Post Script:
Tom, its sooooo BADASS that we get to see you at SOF.

Hello,
So far my folder has pryed open two windows,
pierced a steel cabinet and made a hole by prying back and forth until the hole got big enough to look into with a flashlight to see the contents within. It has also pryed two hub caps off the front wheels of my vehical all with no FAILURE. This knife puts out.

Great Tool.

[This message has been edited by Vermonster (edited 10-09-2000).]

Thanks for the info, that is far more force than I was thinking of. For example, I popped apart a Cold Steel VG, a Spyderco Calypso Jr, and a SAK just with my wrist torque, no arm / shoulder involved let alone body weight.

It seems that either you can tear the pins/screws through the handle slabs easily on the soft materials (VG, plastic slabs) or pull them out like on the Spyderco (Micarta slabs).

Of course these are not heavy duty class folders, but I have yet to see a folder which is claimed to be in any way suitable for that kind of work - which seemed to me to be obvious as some experimention with the blades above.

I have asked that question a number of times by the way, including to high end folder producers (Mission, which I was very interested in because of the all Ti construction) this is the first responce that was actually specific.

-Cliff

Back