Folders (non Busse)

littlehoot

Gold Member
Ok guys, I need some recommendations for good folders for a coworker. (No fixed blades on person in the plant)

A coworker friend is enquiring, and I have little knowledge in this area.

C6312111-019E-48DA-BCBE-700C3C8A4479.jpeg

Benchmade 275 . It’s about as strong as a production folder can get . It’s the only D2 blade I’ve ever really liked .. takes a beating.

Ive had the black one in the pic since 2011 ( I think ). That knife has proven itself so far. Im not really a benchmade fan , or a d2 fan but that one is done well.

Last edited:
Well I like to have a Benchmade Adamas available 24/7 its usually stowed in an EDC bag, I found the Benchmade Griptillian to be a good pocket carry knife I usually go for the Wharncliffe style of blade as its less pointy and stabby looking, when considering other people around that might freak out. Well I am assuming your coworker doesn't want to spend lots of money I would say try either a Buck 112 or a Spyderco Delica.

Custom I think the best bang for the buck is Dave Curtiss. Amazing consistency, quality control and totally underappreciated. I think those tides are changing recently as second hand prices are on the rise but you can still find his more plain ones with little to no use for the $500 range +/- $75. That's for a custom folder with all the modern amenities, made by one man in one shop. He even makes the pivots and screws. I have 2 mediums & 2 larges one in each blade style. In my opinion the wharncliffe he makes is more practical for EDC, nice belly, nice enough point and a nice slicer.

If he doesn't mind foreign Shirogorov is excellent, maybe falls just short of the hype but really nice knives. You'll have a few more hondos in one of those.

Reate/Begg/Liong Mah is flat out amazing quality for the money if he doesn't mind Chinese. They are legit Chinese as far as that goes, using a lot of US sourced materials and protecting designs. Example being he only added the Begg styled clip to his lineup after getting permission from Begg directly. Lots of mixed emotion out there about their popularity and quality for the price point. I have had a lot of them pass through my hands and they don't disappoint.

ZT offers a lot of bang for the buck. Not as refined as the ones above but American made and excellent quality.

On the "classy" side of things check out Enrique Pena', I really like his work for under a grand and he's a good person.

While I have 30+ folders in a box waiting for time to sell them I only have a handful in my EDC rotation, the vast majority of carry time is a Curtiss, followed by a Shirogorov 111 and a Pena' Lanny's Clip flipper for nicer occasions.

Also occasionally carry a heavily customized full-ti XM-24. If he is a tinkerer he may really like the XM's. I think you get a little less for your money with them than other options but they are cool and a lot of fun to modify to your liking.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say if he wants a tank of a blade to check out the Wander Tactical Hurricane folder. This is as close as you can get to a Busse folder without them making it. They are not readily available in the US for some reason but I have one stashed away. The lock bar engaging on it sounds like dropping the bolt on an AR15.

Agree with above about ZT offering the best value, and being idiot proof.
Disagree about the Chinese made knives though, however nice they may be it would be insulting to recommend to an American worker. They are also more expensive than ZT knives.

I can't recommend a folder without at least a desired size range. (Well, I can... but why bother?)
I've begun to prefer smaller, lightweight knives for work... but I have little to no need for a knife in my job; and what I could use a knife for, I should use scissors.
Outside of work is a different story.

Well if customs are on the table, Demko AD10, hands down. Nothing safer or more sturdy. As close as youre going to get to a folding fixed blade. As comfortable and secure in the hand as it could possibly be, with guards at both ends of the hand, and Busse-like contours. I carry one every day, and have for the past 5 years.

Last edited:
Well if customs are on the table, Demko AD10, hands down. Nothing safer or more sturdy. As close as youre going to get to a folding fixed blade. As comfortable and secure in the hand as it could possibly be, with guards at both ends of the hand, and Busse-like contours. I carry one every day, and have for the past 5 years.

If he did a collaboration with ZT I could at least afford to buy one. They do look like the busse of folders, but out of my price range.

Can only comment on what I own, and use. CRK Sebenza, Inkosi, Umnumzaan; Hinderer XM18; Three Rivers Forge Gorgon; Strider SMF; Grayman Satu, and Dua. Have a good tomorrow.

5DBD0394-EEC5-4160-A4E8-A008A26B8C4D.jpeg Non custom-ZTs are great, I have a few.

Custom, you open up a whole new realm.

My favorite custom maker is Dalibor, I have 4 (sculpted handles in the picture)

I also have a Mosier 1 of 2 Indignation (silver twill and carbon fiber at the top)

LightFoot puts out some awesome designs and has open books.

The new Begg designs are looking good too

Last edited:
Sounds like EDC in the work place...you can't beat the lock backs of Spyderco, Delica and Endura for steel choice and low prices.
The Zytel frames are light weight and offer lots of color choices. Nuttin' fancy about these knives, but bang for the buck is hard to beat for a knife you might break or lose on the job.
I have many of the other folders recommended above and carry occasionally....But the Spydies are my work abuse knives!

One vote for Emerson. Very similar to Busse in their approach to knife design. They are rock solid, reliable and heavy duty knives, IMHO.

Can only comment on what I own, and use. CRK Sebenza, Inkosi, Umnumzaan; Hinderer XM18; Three Rivers Forge Gorgon; Strider SMF; Grayman Satu, and Dua. Have a good tomorrow.

A Tanto umnumzaan is on my bucket list, beastly beautiful knife.

Absolutely!

Kid, you beat me to the punch...

On top of everything you mentioned, I'll add that Andrew is a great guy to deal with personally!

To the OP...if your friend settles on an AD10, I'd be glad to give him some advice :)...

3Ry1PHv.jpg

6eoLCTw.jpg

918NVoe.jpg

V4Tbqgy.jpg

egN558e.jpg

Last edited:
Back