Folders (non Busse)

Just watched a YT review on the AD15. Had no idea such a fine piece of machinery even existed. Lusting after one now. Tell me, lads. Any other expensive folding knife brands I should be looking at?

Oh if you want to get into custom folders, let me make you a list:

Dalibor
Mosier
Lightfoot
Direware
Fischer
Strider
Rad if you wanna get really expensive
Ferrum Forge
RSK

Here are a couple of pictures of my favorite folders and the bulk of folders I own. I have a few other Spyderco's, MT and ProTech auto's, Cold Steel's and a Marfione Sigil that get occasional time but when I do carry a folder it's one of these 99% of the time.

I forgot the PM2 earlier, it's fairly new to the mix. I modified it with Copper Flytanium scales and a copper backspacer that are antiqued.

If I could only keep one it would be the large Curtiss Wharncliffe with quilted scales, followed closely by the medium Curtiss in damasteel and jigged titanium. The large compound ground Curtiss on the bottom is hands down the smoothest knife I have ever owned or felt.

View attachment 903782

View attachment 903783

Love that quilted Curtiss:thumbsup: looks like dragon scales :thumbsup::):cool: Had a large but it was too big, maybe a medium is just right.
BTW, looks like the secondary lock on your AD-15 was removed, just curious why. Maybe to save weight? All good whatever the reason.

Higher end I have Hinderer,Sebenza,MT LUDT,Ritter Grips in Wilkens scales. Med price range it is had to go wrong with a Spyderco Para Military or CF or G10 Native. Lower than that are the tough work horses like the FRN Endura.Delica,or Native.

Oh if you want to get into custom folders, let me make you a list:

Dalibor
Mosier
Lightfoot
Direware
Fischer
Strider
Rad if you wanna get really expensive
Ferrum Forge
RSK

Fixed it for ya.....You left one out............Ron Best.....In my dreams:(

Fixed it for ya.....You left one out............Ron Best.....In my dreams:(
He does make some nice art knives, but I would never use it if I had one. I don’t believe in owning any knife/gun/hawk I would never use

I don’t believe in owning any knife/gun/hawk I would never use
Not to argue the point....BUT we don't buy "Wall Art"....We buy Knife Art. I never justify a High Dollar purchase as you stated I just Buy it cuz I want it....Having Dalibor's because they are awesome is like a Busse Gladius awesome not everyday Users. Do I feel the need for a 3K Ron Best oh yeah as an Art Knife to behold and sit next to my First Gen. Colt SAA revolver from the late 1800's...Very Cool to look at not so practical for everyday use.:cool::thumbsup:

Not to argue the point....BUT we don't buy "Wall Art"....We buy Knife Art. I never justify a High Dollar purchase as you stated I just Buy it cuz I want it....Having Dalibor's because they are awesome is like a Busse Gladius awesome not everyday Users. Do I feel the need for a 3K Ron Best oh yeah as an Art Knife to behold and sit next to my First Gen. Colt SAA revolver from the late 1800's...Very Cool to look at not so practical for everyday use.:cool::thumbsup:

Hell I carry and use a Dalibor almost every day! My Oberon mostly since I left my Unnamed in TX so I could have it there for when I’m home

I have to disagree with this. Dalibor’s knives are excellent users. Some are better suited to EDC since they are smaller than others, but they are all fantastic knives (his Phobos be Unnamed for example).

Hell I carry and use a Dalibor almost every day! My Oberon mostly since I left my Unnamed in TX so I could have it there for when I’m home
Yeah I get that...I carry my Mosier if I'm going to lunch in one pocket and a Spyderco "Gayle BradlyII" for dirty work...When I'm out checking my orchard I carry one of my Own hand made folders for testing in the "Field".

Art Knives are "Eye Candy"!!! However I tear 'em open to reveal the guts I wanna know makes 'em work so I can improve my own designs.

I have to disagree with this. Dalibor’s knives are excellent users. Some are better suited to EDC since they are smaller than others, but they are all fantastic knives (his Phobos be Unnamed for example).
I get the quality of the knife and being user friendly, but justification of not buying something a "Top" shelf Art Knife/Gun/Hawk as something "I don't believe in owning something I would never use" was the point I was making....For Example: FMV14 Nuked Option...Top Shelf Busse....Buy because you're gonna beat the pants off it..OR...Beauty as an ART Knife in the Collection:cool::thumbsup:

I agree with many people on here that folders are very personal in terms of preferences; I have gone through several dozen of them to understand my likes and dislikes. My beater is a Benchmade 940, and I think everyone should own one. My most common EDC is my Sebenza 25 that I have no problem beating the piss out of. I have quite a few custom folders that I carry regularly as well, including Dalibor, Mosier, Cobalt Customs, Grimsmo, Tobin Smith, Chaves, Robert Carter, CK, Borka, and RadKnives. I am guilty of owning one knife that I don't carry, not that it couldn't handle use, but at the cost of a half of a dozen Custom Shop MOAB's I just can't bring myself to use it. That being said I do get a great deal of enjoyment out of owning it, it's a sole authorship RadKnives mini Field Cleaver.

I agree with many people on here that folders are very personal in terms of preferences; I have gone through several dozen of them to understand my likes and dislikes. My beater is a Benchmade 940, and I think everyone should own one. My most common EDC is my Sebenza 25 that I have no problem beating the piss out of. I have quite a few custom folders that I carry regularly as well, including Dalibor, Mosier, Cobalt Customs, Grimsmo, Tobin Smith, Chaves, Robert Carter, CK, Borka, and RadKnives. I am guilty of owning one knife that I don't carry, not that it couldn't handle use, but at the cost of a half of a dozen Custom Shop MOAB's I just can't bring myself to use it. That being said I do get a great deal of enjoyment out of owning it, it's a sole authorship RadKnives mini Field Cleaver.

Yes Sir.....I hear ya...Oh my Benchmade Osborn 943 probably has more miles on it than all my custom folders combined!

Beautiful RAD Cleaver....Eye Candy!!!!:cool::thumbsup:

Appears I'm pretty late. However, I've always been enamored with Benchmade knives. And now ZT. Nowadays, even though I have a ton of Benchmades, I'm carrying a ZT 90% of the time. Have a couple of Spydercos, but I just never got too warm to them. They're great knives. Just .... not my thing.
So, for me, ZT.

The Glocks of folders?
YEah.... yeah, I guess that's right.
Oddly enough, I am a total Glock fanboy.
Maybe Spyderco is more like the Springfield XD of folders? I like that analogy better. Although yours is the better analogy, I must admit... :(

Love that quilted Curtiss:thumbsup: looks like dragon scales :thumbsup::):cool: Had a large but it was too big, maybe a medium is just right.
BTW, looks like the secondary lock on your AD-15 was removed, just curious why. Maybe to save weight? All good whatever the reason.

Thanks! For the record, he doesn’t call them that I do, they are definitely unique though.

I only removed it because it absolutely is not needed and I don’t like redundancy, if it was needed something went wrong on the first one :)

The Glocks of folders?

To be fair, Glock with a lot more variety :)

I love that concept in pistols and why the 1911 is still the king of the hill. JMB perfected the platform that could support almost limitless configurations.

Finally a Medford! I stated before that I was a Hinderer fan, still am, but now MKT has moved to the top for me....come on, look at it....Full Ti Colonial in CPM 3V.....groovy.
Resized_20180522_112437.jpeg Resized_20180522_112537.jpeg

Last edited:
Back