Folding Bushcraft Knife that is usable/comfortable - by Daniel Koster

Can a folding bushcraft knife compete with the fixed blade version?

• I'm intrigued

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm skeptical

• I'm against it

• Sign me up!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just unboxed mine. Finish is wonderful, no play in any direction, and the grinds are clean.
The scandi grind easily slices printer paper without any catches.
The handle size is perfect, when clenched in the fist my fingers don't quite meet the base of my hand.
The contours of the scales are great and it feels extremely comfortable.
The lock engages at about forty percent of full travel. Disengagement is a bit sticky, but it can be unlatched and closed with one hand.
There is adequate closing bias and one hand opening is easy if I catch the slot with my thumbnail and then rotate it open.
If you trim your thumbnails very short or if your thumbnails are soft it might be harder to operate one handed.
The jimping is sharp and aggressive but positioned so that it can be avoided if your thumb is tender.
It looks just like the samples and the blueprints. :)

koster-folder_24661853743_o.jpg24993121260_29f1c47a9d_z.jpg

I got it today! Same review as Fancier above. I asked for extra thick as possible/reasonable scales and added red liners for a little more thickness being 1.10"/28mm at thickest width. Fits hand perfectly! Worth the wait!

I've been fondling the knife for a couple of days and admiring the design.
This really is a very well thought out and built knife.
For example, the spine of the blade is completely flush with the finger guard when the knife is closed,
and the radius of the end of the spine exactly matches the radius of the end of the finger guard.
The spine of the blade is completely flush with the scales and the liners when the knife is open.
This knife does not feel like it came out of the first production run. Everything is very precise.

Hey Daniel I have a question - if we signed up on the pre-order list and got the auto reply, are we on the list? I understand there are lots of people way ahead of me. I signed up a while back and got the auto reply.

Only those on the pre-order list will be contacted when the next official order list is opened. That way, every one has a fair chance and no-one has to wait at the bottom of a super long list. (600 people on the pre-order list, btw).

8C918A25-F5EA-4321-B0AF-582ABF3F3FB7_zpstyegbrpi.png
Thank you for the update. I can't wait to get mine. Just picked this up at the Art of Steel show last weekend.

That's a beauty! I was just talking to Lin about it the day before the show. Really neat forging work. :thumbup:

are any folders shipping to Koster dealers?

Not yet. I may in the future, but I want to get the process fully fleshed out and buttery smooth first. Then I'll be able to handle dealer inquiries. ;)

Good luck being on the pre-order list. I was one of the first ones on the list and I still have not seen one!!!!!

I hear ya! I wish I had 500 of these ready to go...I could take that vacation to Bermuda I've always wanted. :D

I'll do my best to speed things up, but yes, you guys are getting the very best I can do and nothing less!

Superfluities and fancier - glad you guys like 'em!

Thanks for the write-ups and pics. Very much appreciated!

:thumbup:

Dan

I've had mine since last Friday. Everything about the knife is well laid out. Mine has a nail nick instead of a hole. I think it's the only one to date. Dan can you confirm?
Anyway, I can easily open and close the knife one handed. The action is buttery smooth and rock solid in the open position. Closing is equally smooth and the blade is perfectly centered. Mine has no liner and fits my M/L sized hands perfect. Dan's Scandinavia grind is truly second to none. I have Koster fixed blades with this grind and it's very useable and field serviceable. Once we thaw out and I can get away to the mountains I'll do some testing in the bush.
My tastes have changed a bit since I ordered the knife. So I figured I'd follow through and dump it if I wasn't feeling it. Well that ship has sailed, it's staying right here!

mr_badexample = yes, yours is the one and only. ;)
Glad you like it! Great pic, by the way.

Update:
My wife went into the ER a week ago and I have hardly been the shop at all this week. I hope to make more progress next week. In the meantime, I appreciate your patience - those that are still waiting. Thanks!

Thank you very much for the update. Are you doing something to mess up your karma, you have the worst luck. Hope she is doing well.

View attachment 617517View attachment 617516

I got it today! Same review as Fancier above. I asked for extra thick as possible/reasonable scales and added red liners for a little more thickness being 1.10"/28mm at thickest width. Fits hand perfectly! Worth the wait!

Hello, would you mind posting a picture showing the scales and micarta edge to see the shape as well? Also, i am curious as to the diameter it ended up being? Thanks for sharing.

I am confident that you will eventually get your knife, since I have received the knives that I have ordered from Dan.
It always takes longer than expected, the status page doesn't update very often, and yes that is frustrating, but don't give up hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back