folding knife for 8 year old

Hello, I'm looking for a decent folding knife for my 8 year old son.

He would like the knife to have a black blade and a colorful handle.

I would like the blade to be no longer than 3 inches, have a locking mechanism (not line lock), have a plain edge, and be of decent quality.

The benchmade mini-griptilian comes pretty close, but i'm not a big fan of the cheap plasticy feel of the handle and the expensive price point.

Anyone have any ideas in the $50 - $60 range?

Thanks much

"My First Opinel", though it doesn't come with a blackened blade. It is available in multiple handle colors, which are made of beechwood, and does lock using a locking ring. Also the price is nice - about $15.

Have you tried any of the smaller spydercos? The dragonfly may fit your criteria, but I've only ever priced the G-10 versions.

Yeah, Opinel is a pretty good choice, slices well, sharpens easily, available in Inox (stainless), you could probably have the blade coated, heck handle too for about your asking price.

I had a Spyderco Sage in CF that had a darn good liner lock that I traded for another Benchmade, so I wouldn't rule them out if you know what to look for. Maybe keep an eye on the exchange for a used knife unless you're looking for only new knives. The lock preference also knocks out Kershaw.

If you want a traditional with a black blade maybe the "eka Swede", but it has plastic handles. Or force a patina on one of the new gec linen micarta Bullnose knives. They are like $54, 3 inch blade, and very nice.

Have a look at the Svord Mini Peasant. Extremely simple, colourful, good blade steel and very easy to maintain. The blade is held open by friction when you grip it so it wont just fold shut (or you would have to do something pretty careless).
The blade is easy to sharpen but they tend not to come scary sharp out of the box. Since they aren't stainless a little bit of care is required but it is so easy to do. A great lesson in taking care of your stuff.

For an 8 year old.... how bout this !

If he has experience with sharp knives and is responsible at 8, then the Ontario Rat 2 is a good choice.

Moving to General Discussion.

why not a case copperlock?

they meet all your criteria except for the black blade, but a variety of handle colors and choices. its a lockback. Blade is i think 2 1/2 inches for the smaller version and 3 for the big version. its about $50 and its a traditional

:D

Ka-Bar Dozier folder, they have options with black blades and easy to sharpen and best of all, $20!

Good luck!

A KA-Bar Dozier mini folding hunter is close. to get a black on black you may need to buy two knives. One with a black handle and no coated blade and either orange or green handle with black coated blade. You still get two great quality knives for about $60 if you do this. Keep the extra one in your glovebox as a back up. or give the Mrs.

Anything from Kershaw/Spyderco.

The Chive and Scallion come to mind...

And, are we sure that this person is not the same as the last one that asked about the knife for a 12 year old? Maybe the person starting these threads is a journalist, looking for material?

For an eight year old I do not recommend an expensive knife. If a traditional two blade jack is out because it isn't "tactical" enough, I suggest a Schrade SP-3 or a Gerber LST. Both are good knives, Dupont Zytel handles, come in a variety of colors and some have the blackened blade feature. Best of all, if he keeps up with it and handles it responsibly, it can be an incentive to step up to a more expensive knife like a Spyderco.

15qdkc4.png

2upwosz.png

The Spyderco Native is the one that comes to mind first. High quality knife and one that is managable for an 8-12 year old. Great knife for an adult too for that matter.

The Kabar Dozier mentioned above is a good inexpensive choices as are the Ontario RAT 1 or RAT 2. The Dozier is offered in various colors but as mentioned, you have have trouble combining a black blade and a colorful handle.

If it were my child and they didn't have much experience with knives, I'd get him a Victorinox swiss army knife. The generally don't have locks and some are liner locks. But still a good knife to learn with.

My son is 10 now but has had a Spyderco Dragonfly 2 since he was 8. He also has a collection of Spyderco ladybugs that he's accumulated since he was about 5. He always wanted a Paramilitary like mine and I told him when he was 10 he could have one. 10 came fast. I got him a digital camo Para 1 but he uses his leatherman squirt more than anything.

Kershaw Scallion or Leek or possible something like a knock out or piston if you feel he is responsible enough. Kids love the flipper and AO but it can be a little much for them at that age. Another option is the Buck Vantage Force knives. They come with a variety of scales!

I am a little saprized that you what a tack lock knife for your 8 year olds first knife . I would of said an sak would of been better . But thats only mo .

Honestly I wouldn't get him a locking knife as he might develop a bad habit early on relying on it. Right now if you get him a slipjoint it will just collapse on him when he goes the wrong way and cut himself which in general is a band aid. With a locking knife if he manages to break the lock there is going to be a lot of pressure in it already and I can pretty much guarantee stitches, or worst case scenario a missing digit. And trust me you only have the knife collapse on your once or twice for you to fully understand and get the concept "I don't do THAT" with a knife. I know that is how it was with me and everyone else I talked to who started with a slipjoint. And this doesn't just go for kids, but adults too I have seen a lot of improper knife use from adults who never handled anything but a fixed blade or locking knife.

Victorinox/Wenger AKA Swiss Army Knives AKA SAKs, makes some pretty good slipjoints in general your choice is red/black/silver minus a few which are colorful. My personal choice for an 8 year old would be an Victorinox Cadet, Recruit, Farmer, Camper. (I have held a Wenger, but never owned one. I just prefer Victorinox instead, but I have no issue with carrying a Wenger if given the option.)

Just looked at the price range and a Spyderco slipjoint such as the UK Penknife or Spy DK would do good if they wanted more of a modern folder.

Back