Folding Knife or Box Cutter/Utility Knife for EDC?

Folding Knife or Box Cutter for EDC?

Well, I think it's obvious what majority of people here at bladeforums would choose.

I know different people from different places have very different days, but let's say EDC for urban to light rural environments. Nothing that involves cutting trees etc....

It was just something that crossed my mind.

Why have a folder when you can have a box cutter for 1/50-1/400 of the price?

How much of your/my normal EDC chores can't a box cutter do and a folder can?
How much of your/my average day involves heavy duty cutting if at all?
What everyday tasks would a box cutter not cut it?

And what do you guys and girls say to those who ask you why carry a knife when a box cutter could do the job cutting? (Let's say they asked you when you were opening a package with a knife)

Thanks for any opinions on this thought that probably has popped up in other people's minds as well one way or another...then maybe just dismissing it to get that oh so nice knife. :D

Last edited:
There's always something like the Gerber EAB. Folding box-cutters can come in really handy at times.

Box cutters tend to be much bigger than typical EDC pocket folders first off.

No box cutter is going to have any joy of ownership feelings that a pocket knife or folder will bring out of me. Knives are anything from a hobby to a passion for most of us, and it isn't about the money saved by owning a box cutter.

Nothing wrong with box cutters, but they are relegated for carpets and other dulling work chores for me.

I've thought about using box cutters for edc or keychains knives. They are specialized (very thin, short, and fragile blade) and the folding versions are not ergonomic, so I dont carry one.

Better to leave a standard full sized box cutter where you receive boxes and carry a normal knife in your pocket.

Most of my edc cutting tasks could be accomplished by just using something as small as a Spyderco Ladybug or perhaps even a Spyderco Bug sized knife. However, it's just not all that exciting to carry and use as a bigger folding or fixed blade knife. Box cutters are useful for alot of tasks and don't require much maintenance, but again for me just arent much fun.

I'd say use a spyderco delica FFG. I cut a lot of boxes at my job. I mean a LOT. I've been using it all day every day for the last couple days. It works GREAT. It just eats through boxes.

This is the same argument as asking why drive a BMW when a Kia does the same thing. :rolleyes:

Life is too short to not enjoy the ride.
I use a William Henry for most of my box cutting.

Box cutters tend to be much bigger than typical EDC pocket folders first off.

No box cutter is going to have any joy of ownership feelings that a pocket knife or folder will bring out of me. Knives are anything from a hobby to a passion for most of us, and it isn't about the money saved by owning a box cutter.

Nothing wrong with box cutters, but they are relegated for carpets and other dulling work chores for me.

Not really...

boxcutter.jpg

Everything else :thumbup::thumbup:

In truth a box cutter probably could do most of the things I ask my knives to do.
But a good quality knife will last a lifetime, be more versatile, and just give a lot
more satisfaction in ownership. Plus, a box cutter is best suited ergonomically for
opening boxes, a good folder I find is better overall for food prep, outdoor work,
and other tasks an edged tool may be called for.

A box cutter will not do everything I need a knife to do.

I do use box cutters when necessary - like cutting carpet and other materials that would absolutely destroy some knife blades.

That being said - when I worked p/t at a big box hardware store most of the guys edc'ed box cutters.

Depends on your job, employer, and the task(s). The Gerber EAB is nice cause it's small, but not for hard use. I own one, carried it to work often. It's great for a pocket blade, for boxes, cardboard cutting, in work environments that would trash a real knive edge. I love knives, but why waste a great knife on cutting silicone caulk away from a stucco wall or celing tiles?
I prefer a pocket knife or fixed blade otherwise. Another solution is the Klein electricians utility blade, about $12. I carry that to work as well.

different strokes. i could do quite a few work tasks with a box cutter just fine. however there are other tasks that would be more difficult with that small blade.

also i prepare food at work a lot, and box cutters don't excel for that :D

I have a friend who's an electrician and he only carries a folding box cutter. he puts them through hell, though, and I'd hate to hate to have to sharpen a pocket knife after a couple days of what he puts them through. so it's easier to just replace the blade with his when he gets his use out of them.

Personally I'm not going to be carrying a box cutter as an EDC but I have seen their popularity as such surge. I attribute this to their evolution in design and quick blade change. I have a few at the work bench and in various tool boxes. Pocket clips, aluminum scales, liner locks or lock backs. Heck, Sears has one with wood scales. I guess they have their place.

Personally I'm not going to be carrying a box cutter as an EDC but I have seen their popularity as such surge. I attribute this to their evolution in design and quick blade change. I have a few at the work bench and in various tool boxes. Pocket clips, aluminum scales, liner locks or lock backs. Heck, Sears has one with wood scales. I guess they have their place.

You mean like this lovely........thing? :eek: :D

CraftsmanUtility_01.JPG

Its called a Box Cutter because thats what is, its meant for cutting boxes.
Cutting a bagel or an apple with a box cutter? Well a box cutter just aint gonna cut it :D.

I'll go for the folding knife every time, and maybe even a small fixed blade.
Besides, lifes to short to carry an ugly knife (or something like that)

c'mon now, if I use a box cutter for my muggings people will laugh at me instead of forking over their hard earned dollars.

Back