Follow along as I hand engrave and set diamonds into Böker Scout Solingen

What metal is it? I read thru the post but seemed to have missed that? I was a diamond setter a long time ago. And the type of metal dictated what you could do(packing beads, 6 bead and pave) We used to love platinum and 18k yellow. But 14 white gold was not as easy to carve raise beads etc. When I was an apprentice they gave use nickel silver plate to start on. But I've been out of the game since 1987. So not sure what the modern ways are. We used to use hand gravers of varying sizes. And used to sand and polish the tools themselves as a scratchy tool left a scratchy finish. But as setters we never did this type of engraving. We used to rough cut and bright cut everything(flat tool was the best choice for finishing) Clean the beads etc. Very nice work btw. I got out as I lost the passion for sitting down at the bench setting 1/4 pointers. Lol. No regrets though. And the work shows you are into it! Thanks for sharing.

What metal is it? I read thru the post but seemed to have missed that? I was a diamond setter a long time ago. And the type of metal dictated what you could do(packing beads, 6 bead and pave) We used to love platinum and 18k yellow. But 14 white gold was not as easy to carve raise beads etc. When I was an apprentice they gave use nickel silver plate to start on. But I've been out of the game since 1987. So not sure what the modern ways are. We used to use hand gravers of varying sizes. And used to sand and polish the tools themselves as a scratchy tool left a scratchy finish. But as setters we never did this type of engraving. We used to rough cut and bright cut everything(flat tool was the best choice for finishing) Clean the beads etc. Very nice work btw. I got out as I lost the passion for sitting down at the bench setting 1/4 pointers. Lol. No regrets though. And the work shows you are into it! Thanks for sharing.
It's brass. I cut everything with carbide tools if I can help it. The tool material I'm using is m42. It holds an edge real nice and polishes with half micron diamond paste on a strop. All my cutting edges are sharpened with jigs for a precision cutting edge. Makes nice bright cuts. I was born in 86.

It's brass. I cut everything with carbide tools if I can help it. The tool material I'm using is m42. It holds an edge real nice and polishes with half micron diamond paste on a strop. All my cutting edges are sharpened with jigs for a precision cutting edge. Makes nice bright cuts. I was born in 86.
Also brass cuts like 10k yellow gold in my opinion.

Stunning work. I have a Spyderco Schempp Bowie that would make a good canvas for engraving.

Beautiful. And so is the work. LOL
Upgrade for an anniversary knife.
I am curious: Why did you pick that special knife? Are you linked to Böker or Solingen?

Beautiful. And so is the work. LOL
Upgrade for an anniversary knife.
I am curious: Why did you pick that special knife? Are you linked to Böker or Solingen?
Thank you. I am not, I thought it was pretty. Many hours went into its selection. I chose it for its shape, materials, colors, craftsmanship, and availability. I engraved the buck 110 first as a trial run before this knife.

Almost there. Gotta stop and go do goldsmithing. I hope to finish this up later tonight.

Good choice. I think the classic Carbon steel fits perfectly.

Last edited:
Absolutely beautiful. I encourage you to stay in the knife market. You have a lot of talent and I can see you having a lot of success. Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Back