Footwear for mowing grass.

Uncle Timbo

Gold Member
I read the, Boots is Boots thread looking for ideas. I don't like mowing with tennies on because of mowing in WV where we have some hills. It's an acre and most is ridden but some isn't. I wore out my old Durashocks and I'm having a hard time spending over a hundo for a pair of boots just to mow in.
Does anybody have any inexpensive suggestions for something to mow in? What does everybody wear for protection?
BTW, I wear 14EEE. o_O

These are getting old so I'm looking for a new pair, but I bought these to go hiking in the tropics and have been loving them in the Midwest summers... and use them while mowing. Unfortunately, I don't think they make this model anymore (Keen):

y3h1ZM827q0kmYbzm0_v1HoVa_Iqf0vBF2GLEOnpYJhCzZrcCvsbOJro7z86WX0cip_K98H15_xVQkeXP8UR0iJ8qGgOwS2EEjG527O2Of94We1jdSgOyBI38UG6U_biAFB07LIJuQ=w2400

I don't like mowing with shoes that have mesh like the ones above; sure, they breathe, but your feet get filthy if you're not on a riding mower.

Last edited:
I read the, Boots is Boots thread looking for ideas. I don't like mowing with tennies on because of mowing in WV where we have some hills. It's an acre and most is ridden but some isn't. I wore out my old Durashocks and I'm having a hard time spending over a hundo for a pair of boots just to mow in.
Does anybody have any inexpensive suggestions for something to mow in? What does everybody wear for protection?
BTW, I wear 14EEE. o_O
While they aren’t inexpensive , Get some steel toed “Redwing” boots. They will last over a decade maybe two. Nothing is as important as your feet when it comes to walking. Due to a lapse in judgement , my father lost a couple of toes cutting the grass. Go Tactical! Protect those feet!

I would check the local surplus store for a gently used pair of bates combat boots.

I personally wear the old welco combat boots my dad passed down to me because they suit the task and don't look to pretty at this point so I'm not worried about messing them up.
My dad found this last pair to be a bit of a miserable experience, so I think he'd probably be happy if I was to wear them out or destroy them. :D

While they aren’t inexpensive , Get some steel toed “Redwing” boots. They will last over a decade maybe two. Nothing is as important as your feet when it comes to walking. Due to a lapse in judgement , my father lost a couple of toes cutting the grass. Go Tactical! Protect those feet!
REI is giving away the store now. July is a great time to get boots there. A while back, picked up $100+ boots for $30 (off season). Still have them, and I agree don't take any risks with your appendages.incl. fingers or toes.

Thanks guys. You all offer some good insight.
I do have an old pair of Merrell ventilators but I really want leather.
Smart seasoned Harley (and others) wear leather for a reason.
I've never had any Red Wings and always wanted some. How much we talking?
Also, I'm gonna pull up REI now. Then maybe LAPolice.
Also, thanks Mr. Hickory, I've been looking for a reason to make the 25 mile trek to the nearest, authentic, Army/Navy store. :)

Thanks guys. You all offer some good insight.
I do have an old pair of Merrell ventilators but I really want leather.
Smart seasoned Harley (and others) wear leather for a reason.
I've never had any Red Wings and always wanted some. How much we talking?
Also, I'm gonna pull up REI now. Then maybe LAPolice.
Also, thanks Mr. Hickory, I've been looking for a reason to make the 25 mile trek to the nearest, authentic, Army/Navy store. :)
Apparently sportsman's guide has the current issue Altima hot weather boot brand new for $70.

I mowed in tennis shoes most my life. Switched to hiking boots a few years ago. I will never go back to tennis shoes again. I use Merrell waterproof hiking boots.

Apparently sportsman's guide has the current issue Altima hot weather boot brand new for $70.
Thanks for the tip brother. I would have bought a pair if they'd of had my size. Wearing 14EEE I'm cursed. All my long sleeved shirts have to come in tall or I look like Jethro Bodine. o_O

EEEE is rough! I wear Mens' EE, and that is difficult enough. That's why I was shocked to get 2 pair of boots off the REI sale rack in July -- years back. I bought North Face and Tecnica (which they no longer sell.):( Most of their shoes probably are not EEEE, just a guess. I recently bought some Asics that came in EE and EEEE...and you cant use a running shoe.... I don't know if I've ever run across EEEE. What shoes normally fit you?

EEEE is rough! I wear Mens' EE, and that is difficult enough. That's why I was shocked to get 2 pair of boots off the REI sale rack in July -- years back. I bought North Face and Tecnica (which they no longer sell.):( Most of their shoes probably are not EEEE, just a guess. I recently bought some Asics that came in EE and EEEE...and you cant use a running shoe.... I don't know if I've ever run across EEEE. What shoes normally fit you?
It's a curse I tell you, a curse. It's not 4E (although I'd take 'em) 143E.
I never did fill my Dads shoes...153E. They called him bigfoot where he worked.

It's a curse I tell you, a curse. It's not 4E (although I'd take 'em) 143E.
I never did fill my Dads shoes...153E. They called him bigfoot where he worked.
Sorry, I confused myself and mistyped. Seriously, I’ve never seen a Eee. Yes, that sounds like a curse for sure.

Mine is bad enough, only EE, and when I find a shoe that fits, I buy at least 2 pair. (Eliminates some of the dread of shoe shopping.) I own shoes and boots I purchases 10–12 years ago and kept in storage to avoid shopping!

I wear LLBean suede Comfort Mocs for just about everything around the house and farm, switching to Muck Boots when it's really wet. They come up to a 14 EE and are just about impossible to wear out. Almost all my mowing is done riding, though.

I wear Chaco hiking sandals for grass mowing. (The older models that were made with the heavy vibram soles, I think they outsourced to China, and I'm not sure the quality is still there.) I grew up mowing grass in the neighborhood for money. As a kid, I mostly went barefooted. No, my parents weren't aware that I did that. I get the idea of protection but love the ability to hose off my feet and sandals when I'm done. Been cutting grass with a push mower for over forty years and still got all ten toes.

I did cut up some poison ivy/oak a couple times, sandals gave no protection from that.

Grizz

I got a ride on , and I sttill wear steel toecap boots.
Got about 1 acre of grass in garden
Better be safe then sorry.
If you have a rotary , it would be wise.
There again some idiots wear flip flops whilst doing grass.

Grizz...sandals?!?!
Back when I worked construction, I'd go thru a pair of 8" boots in about a year and then retire them to the lawn and garden. Well, no more construction and the search continues.
The 511's were nice but not wide enough.
Dandan, are those the same idiots wearing flip flops and tank tops on motorcycles?

Back