For Samael - an unusual Model #26

Melvin-Purvis

Temporarily Retired
Staff member
Super Mod
We talked about this one last year, IIRC - had it out of the safe today, so took some quick pics...

Attachments

• 26FCH1.jpg
    26FCH1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 26FCH2.jpg
    26FCH2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 26FCH3.jpg
    26FCH3.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 26FCH4.jpg
    26FCH4.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 26FCH5.jpg
    26FCH5.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 89
Well, it's definitely unusual alright. I'm not sure I like it, but I'll bet there aren't many like that.

Yep, unusual, and borderline ugly too - but, the grip is shaped to be palmed by a right hander, and works really well for the 'paintbrush' knife fighting hold I was taught many years ago. As opposed to a hammer, saber, or ice pick grip; the paintbrush grip allows for a tremendous amount of wrist mobility... :cool:

Attachments

• KF1.jpg
    KF1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 47
  • KF2.jpg
    KF2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 47
  • KF3.jpg
    KF3.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 48
  • KF4.jpg
    KF4.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 50
  • KF5.jpg
    KF5.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 45
Sheldon, is that grip a border patrol or a variation of one? I relaly like what appears to be flatter sides, more pronounced finger grove and a small foward curved NS hilt.

Looks great! I guess by your comment it feels great too. :) Definetely something to think about with a larger blade. Thanks for posting.

Jim

It's early - Sheldon's probably still trying to wake up, so I'll answer for him. That's a single finger grip (SFG) handle. It doesn't look like an FCH to me, though. Just a straight double hilt (NS2).

It's a forward curved hilt like none I've ever seen, and the SFG handle is all sexy and asymetrical too; thin in some spots, wide in others, in addition to the odd handle end-shape.

I'm going to send this one in for shop examination and minor refinishing - the current shop foreman has shown interest in looking it over, opining it might have been a one-off or something modified by former shop employee Dave Griffin after it left the shop...

If you have Rhett's 'Green Catalog' handy, you'll see similar handles on some of the shop made Drop Point Hunter model variants that Dave had a hand in making...

Anyway you cut it though, it's cool as heck! :D

Interesting that you bring up Dave Griffin, because, as I know you know, he was the "father" of the SFG handle. That still remains my favorite to this day. I don't know how you could call that an FCH, but I agree that it's certainly not a standard double hilt either. Definitely a queer duck (that's a good thing). I'd be curious to hear what Scotty has to say about it.

Shel, how the heck do you let stuff languish in the safe? Maybe it's just that I don't have enough, but I have to have them out in the open so I can look every time I pass by and show them off to anyone that comes over! It's hard enough for me not to walk around cutting stuff with them....I get yelled at by my fiance all the time for stabbing stuff around the house just to see how well the knives cut.

Back