For the Camera Knowledgeable

leatherman

leathermoderator
I really need to eventually get a better camera, I have had a nice 35mm for many years and I really like the platform. I'd love to have a digital camera in the same format/size ie interchangeable lenses and lots of adjustment possibilities. So far though, the cameras that have caught my interest have been rather expensive, the Cannon Rebel being one of them and at nearly 800.00 its a little steep for this poor leather bender. :eek:

Would it be best to just "bite the bullet" and start saving for one? If so whats the better brand?

Any suggestions are welcomed. :)

I am not a camera expert, but if you already have the Nikon lenses you should definitely stick with Nikon... the Digital SLR's will accept the 35mm Lenses, the Digital sensor is smaller than 35mm so the angle number designation on your lens will be a bit off when using 35mm lenses with Digital (18mm becomes something like 14mm) No big deal. They offer Digital lenses that make up for this difference so they may have Digital lens specific mounts these days.

My recommendation would be to get one of the older Digital SLR models instead of the newest one the D200 is a great Professional model, I have the D50, D100, and D200 and love them. The lenses are what are expensive so I am stuck with Nikon. Hope this helps.

It would help if we knew what you already have. A used DSLR is likely the way to go, but still expensive.

:D Now you all have me curious, I haven't brought out my 35mm gear in ages! The camera is a Pentax, that much I remember, but I bought a couple of lenses after the fact. The camera was purchased in 84 or 85 iirc so its a little old, but has some automatic functions. So I figured it was out of the running as far as its additions being able to be used on a future camera. I had no idea there were some overlaps as far as lenses, now I have a whole new area to explore!!!

I really appreciate the input so far, the wife will hate me for the new/old addiction surfacing, but I love the old camera's. :D Back in the day I had about 800.00 invested in that camera, nowadays its probably equal to a stupid amount.

Thanks again!!!

Pentax makes dSLR's - and rather nice ones too!

Photography is probably my main 'hobby (and comprises a part of my work). Honestly though, all main brands offer excellent gear - it all comes down to your photographic needs. Do you really need an SLR w/interchangeable lenses? There are many 'bridge' camera's (non-interchangeable lenses, but a step up from most P&S cameras) today which can produce some great images.

Be careful about reading on-line reviews - they are *all* biased. Most people don't know enough about cameras/photography to give good advice and simply go with what their buddies shoot (who don't know much more) or worse go to a big-box store and buy whatever set-up pays the highest commission/SPIFF for the worker.

The photographer is nearly *always* the weak link in imaging chain. For me, i'm an old Minolta shooter (both manual and auto-focus in 35mm) and Sony bought the auto-focus mount and are making the cameras these days. I like 'em and have a couple dSLR's and they're fantastic for when i'm doing events, etc. If you're going to get an entry level camera, the Sony Alpha NEX C3 and 18-55mm lens maybe an excellent fit for what you're doing (brand new at around $500 +/-). They're doing great (evaluated by *users* not paid "Reviewers") and are very versatile little cameras.

I shoot medium format film 6x7cm Mamiya RB67 Pro-S for the best results so i'm pretty picky about imaging. When i need digital for it's conveniences, it better work and without hassle - the Sony's (Minolta Engineers) are great, but that's my bias.

Back