Photos For the fans (An old classic)

I just dug this old thing out of the drawer and snapped a couple of pics.

d862b62b-7ffc-4eb8-a3e1-6d86ca39454c-jpeg.589069

15cc3689-bf0e-4b6c-934f-f5752bc4ffd9-jpeg.589073

I thought the long-time Spyderco fans may like to see it. You can see the blade is marked “Aus-8 stainless”. From what I understand, the early gen 1 Enduras were made of Gin-1 steel (aka “G2 stainless”), so this one may have been produced later in the first generation.

I didn’t buy this new. I picked it up “used” (no detectable wear) from a little knife shop in 2012. I carried it daily for a few years before I pulled it from the rotation because I was unsure about the molded plastic clip. I can’t bring myself to get rid of it, though.

For a pinned knife with no liners or bushings, it is surprisingly smooth and locks with authority. It is super lightweight and quite utilitarian. I see why it helped shape the modern folding knife market.

Anyways, just wanted to share some pics. If you have any info about this old classic, please share it! I haven’t dug up very much info.

I just dug this old thing out of the drawer and snapped a couple of pics.

d862b62b-7ffc-4eb8-a3e1-6d86ca39454c-jpeg.589069

15cc3689-bf0e-4b6c-934f-f5752bc4ffd9-jpeg.589073

I thought the long-time Spyderco fans may like to see it. You can see the blade is marked “Aus-8 stainless”. From what I understand, the early gen 1 Enduras were made of Gin-1 steel (aka “G2 stainless”), so this one may have been produced later in the first generation.

I didn’t buy this new. I picked it up “used” (no detectable wear) from a little knife shop in 2012. I carried it daily for a few years before I pulled it from the rotation because I was unsure about the molded plastic clip. I can’t bring myself to get rid of it, though.

For a pinned knife with no liners or bushings, it is surprisingly smooth and locks with authority. It is super lightweight and quite utilitarian. I see why it helped shape the modern folding knife market.

Anyways, just wanted to share some pics. If you have any info about this old classic, please share it! I haven’t dug up very much info.

You are totally correct. The GIN-1 ( G-2) was the first steel they used on those earliest models. The AUS-8 I think came in around the early to mid 90s. I still have an older AUS-8 Catcherman model with a full Spyderedge and I don't believe those had been made since the mid 90s to possibly around 1998 or so.

That is still a pretty old piece you have there. Because any of the AUS-8 Spyders are getting really tough to find anymore. I know I've been trying to find another fully Serrated AUS-8 Catcherman for over 5 years now and I haven't been successful.

One good thing about GIN-1 and AUS-8 is that both of them were great blade steels for Spyderedges especially. I've owned a lot of Spyders over the years with those two blade steels and the AUS-8 holds an edge on a plain edged blade somewhat better than the GIN-1 did. But I really love to see those older Spyders come to surface and I'm still a big fan of many of the older Spyderco models.

You are totally correct. The GIN-1 ( G-2) was the first steel they used on those earliest models. The AUS-8 I think came in around the early to mid 90s. I still have an older AUS-8 Catcherman model with a full Spyderedge and I don't believe those had been made since the mid 90s to possibly around 1998 or so.

That is still a pretty old piece you have there. Because any of the AUS-8 Spyders are getting really tough to find anymore. I know I've been trying to find another fully Serrated AUS-8 Catcherman for over 5 years now and I haven't been successful.

One good thing about GIN-1 and AUS-8 is that both of them were great blade steels for Spyderedges especially. I've owned a lot of Spyders over the years with those two blade steels and the AUS-8 holds an edge on a plain edged blade somewhat better than the GIN-1 did. But I really love to see those older Spyders come to surface and I'm still a big fan of many of the older Spyderco models.

Thanks for the info! You clearly know a lot more about these old Spydercos than I do.

I bought this one off the exchange here NIB. I read it's the rarest of the Catcherman models. ?

oihbwi.jpg

I bought this one off the exchange here NIB. I read it's the rarest of the Catcherman models. ?

oihbwi.jpg
Jill Jackson I am truly green with envy:confused: I used to have a pair of those gorgeous Yellow Catcherman models. I had the full SE like you just displayed and I also had the combo edged version of that older AUS-8 version. I still have one full SE AUS-8 black handled Catcherman and I use it in the kitchen usually several times within a week. I've tried to find a back up unit ( spare) for it and they are getting really tough to find in Full SE with those AUS-8 blades. Why Spyderco ever abandoned the Catcherman in full Spyderedge is beyond me because two good friends of mine I recommended that unit to both have agreed with me that it is one of the most functional blades Spyderco ever made IMO.

Back