For the Love of Wood

9sqwrn.jpg

2zswj2s.jpg

6jj9lf.jpg

So many sweet knives as well as beautiful and exotic woods here, guys! I've only got a couple posts-worth of wood grips left.

I'll stay in the budget lane with a couple I don't even have anymore. Like my last post, these two go back a ways to my less-discerning days. I sold these with another knife as a budget bundle to clear some drawer space and refine my collection.

The SOG is AUS8 with rosewood grips that are actually pretty nice. The CRKT has unspecified burl wood grips. Both are assisted openers and moved cross-country to their new owner.

emxWW4r.jpg

hZUOxex.jpg

I actually forgot about this one. My Al Mar Eagle Talon in cocobolo is a favorite that finds little pocket time as it fills a funny niche--giant gentleman's carry. The workmanship on Seki City knives is excellent and the AUS8 steel came from the factory with a wicked keen edge. The cocobolo on this one has a nice dark/light contrast and the graining flows with the handle shape. The top edge of the reverse side forward of the lanyard hole suffered a rather nasty large chip in a drop, but I was able to relieve and round it with patient sanding, finishing with 2500 wet to give it a closely matching polish.

KVqZXtt.jpg

x6OQmjv.jpg

I love the way the stainless and wood are set off against the brass liners. Just sweet! :)

8hnRBZP.jpg

I've been looking for a Falcon Talon to match for a long time....

These blokes use all the Gidgee they harvest for making their wood planes, they do NOT sell raw wood for scales or anything else. Everything they chop down they use themselves, but the short video is worth a watch.

IMG_9966_-_Copy.JPG

Some ordinary Aussie Red Gum, this stuff is EVERYWHERE is Australia, but finding highly 'figured or ringed' samples is not easy:

Many of the Aussie woods I've pictured above are HARDER than Red Gum.

Last edited:
Here's a pair of Sebenzas (that I gifted to a friend) with some nice bloodwood.

PgVnfQY.jpg
Sweet knives and wonderful gifts, Dennis! Where does one sign up to become your friend? I imagine the wait-list must be rather long.... :rolleyes:
--Steve

Back