for winter, what Buck ya carrying and how cold is it...

My wife likes to carry her Vantage, the small one with a 3" blade. The remnants from the winter rain brought us 20 mph winds all day yesterday. High was 40* and working out in it was frigid. Calm now and 25*. This is our normal winter pattern. Makes me glad I built good barns for our livestock. DM

Our weather is all over the map - 68° right now and a severe storm expected with high wind gusts, then a cold front, tomorrow night about 25° for a low. Next week I'll hunt a day or two and then put the boat in and boat a day or two! These two for the last couple of weeks, the 110 Slim when I'm in the woods and the 345 Vantage all other days (including today - of course I have a pocketknife too). OH
Buck-110-Slim-Pro-clip-side.jpg

Buck-345.jpg

y'all are tough that is cold. I was shivering to death at 30 degrees f couple weeks ago.

today is 79 f / 26c. one of the many reasons why I love the deep south. gonna get cold as st8yd said but for now I got a short sleeved shirt and jeans on and enjoying the sun.

Makael, we had the same... In the teens here this morning. Ice in the troughs was thick. I used a sharp- shooter shovel to get some holes in them. Monday snow is in our forecast and we need it. Carrying my 426 Bucklite. DM

Not to make you all jealous but here in sunny california the forecast is 72 degrees today. :cool: although we did get a little bit if rain earlier. And I'll be carrying my same old 110. Honestly if I had to go the rest of my life with just one knife the 110 would be pretty high on the list.

Funny the way you worded the post brought back a memory. Two of my mentors owned Buck 110’s in the mid 70’s. They both only used them in the winter when ice fishing. They carried slip joints all year one had a TL29 the other a Camillus 72.

In the winter with gloves and ski pants it is hard to get a pocket knife out so they switched to 110’s.

In the early 80’s when I got mine it became my “every day knife”. Now we’d say edc.

Last edited:
It's 45 here in Nova Scotia,plenty of wind to keep the fishing boats tied up,we just lost a boat with 6 souls on board in a bad storm on dec15, today im carrying a new ag110 with the ceracote bladecand my old 307 stockman,the new ag blade ceracote doesn't hold up well at all when you start using your knife,I wonder why they switched to this over the durable DLC coatings on the old models.

It's 45 here in Nova Scotia,plenty of wind to keep the fishing boats tied up,we just lost a boat with 6 souls on board in a bad storm on dec15, today im carrying a new ag110 with the ceracote bladecand my old 307 stockman,the new ag blade ceracote doesn't hold up well at all when you start using your knife,I wonder why they switched to this over the durable DLC coatings on the old models.
sorry to hear about the lost fishermen, may they RIP.

Here in Central Florida we had the coldest Christmas morning since 1995..But tomorrow morning it will be much worse. Ocala is looking like a low of 26 with a hard freeze that will last for 8 to 10 hours. That long at below freezing kills trees, bugs,birds and lizards lol! Also water lines and pumps. I'm still using a pair of 112's one in S35VN..

I have been carrying this 418 Vertex quite a bit since I pick it up in March of this year. Last night it was -9 today's high was 18, bay (backwaters) of the Mississippi River has be frozen over since Nov. 13th main channel froze over on Dec. 14th.

WXy7cQ9.jpg

Back