For you amusement :-)

Wasn't sure where to put this since it is NOT a serious knife making video, even though a knife is made in the video. I think this is what they call an ASMR video (designed to evoke an emotional response)
English title: Sharpest Bismuth Knife in the World

This video was funny at least. Notice when he showed his hand after actually using the knife. He really should have made a proper handle for it! :eek:

There are actually a bunch of videos on YouTube showing "the sharpest knife" made of unusual materials. None of them have much impact on normal knives or knife use. It's more for fun.

As far as ASMR, or "Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response", it's a little more involved than "evoking an emotional response". There is a specific reaction that occurs in some people when they hear certain kinds of sounds. Some people describe it as tingles or a chill that runs along the spine. Small children sometimes discover this effect on their own and play games with it. It can be evoked by quietly whispering in someone's ear, or making light crinkling or tapping noises close to the ear. (It is in the same ballpark as sensations from very light stroking of the skin with a feather or blade of grass.) This effect, combined with a generally relaxing presentation, can be both calming and gently stimulating. There has actually been some legit interest in ASMR presentations for therapy.

The following video is a "trigger test" as opposed to a full presentation. It quickly runs through various sounds that tend to generate ASMR in people, so you can see if any cause it for you. (You'll want to use headphones with the volume up.)

This video was funny at least. Notice when he showed his hand after actually using the knife. He really should have made a proper handle for it! :eek:

There are actually a bunch of videos on YouTube showing "the sharpest knife" made of unusual materials. None of them have much impact on normal knives or knife use. It's more for fun.

As far as ASMR, or "Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response", it's a little more involved than "evoking an emotional response". There is a specific reaction that occurs in some people when they hear certain kinds of sounds. Some people describe it as tingles or a chill that runs along the spine. Small children sometimes discover this effect on their own and play games with it. It can be evoked by quietly whispering in someone's ear, or making light crinkling or tapping noises close to the ear. (It is in the same ballpark as sensations from very light stroking of the skin with a feather or blade of grass.) This effect, combined with a generally relaxing presentation, can be both calming and gently stimulating. There has actually been some legit interest in ASMR presentations for therapy.

The following video is a "trigger test" as opposed to a full presentation. It quickly runs through various sounds that tend to generate ASMR in people, so you can see if any cause it for you. (You'll want to use headphones with the volume up.)

You must be into the ASMR stuff too , the video u showed is not bad but I have a bias to
the channel called "TheWaterwhispers".Also I'd like to share with you my first exposure
to ASMR , if you've never seen the vid just sit back,and close your eyes. :D

Wasn't sure where to put this since it is NOT a serious knife making video, even though a knife is made in the video. I think this is what they call an ASMR video (designed to evoke an emotional response)
English title: Sharpest Bismuth Knife in the World

Never thought of this channel/video as the asmr type , Just seeing the process of the guy making just about anything sharp was pleasant, then again I don't remember getting some chills from his videos ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Never thought of this channel/video as the asmr type , Just seeing the process of the guy making just about anything sharp was pleasant, then again I don't remember getting some chills from his videos ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
I got that from the comments. I don't really know anything about ASMR other that what I read on Wikipedia.
It seemed to tick some of the ASMR boxes:
  • Listening to quiet, repetitive sounds resulting from someone engaging in a mundane task such as turning the pages of a book
  • Watching somebody attentively execute a mundane task such as preparing food
  • Listening to tapping, typically nails onto surfaces such as plastic, wood, metal, etc.
  • Hand movements, especially onto one's face
Speaking of which, now that I have heard of ASMR, I think I'm going to make an ASMR video of me sharpening a knife. LOL

I got that from the comments. I don't really know anything about ASMR other that what I read on Wikipedia... now that I have heard of ASMR, I think I'm going to make an ASMR video of me sharpening a knife. LOL

You might have to experiment a little but I'm sure you could. Good ASMR channels use specialized mics to fully capture sounds. Some do more advanced work with the sound. It might seem silly but there is an art to it. Forget Wikipedia though. Do you know if you are susceptible to ASMR? Put on some headphones and try the short test video I posted above.

On a more knife-relevant note, steel is hard to beat. Does anyone have experience with non-steel knives? I used ceramic kitchen knives to help a friend prepare dinner once. I don't know about long-term performance but they sure cut the heck out of celery, onions, and peppers.

After reading the KnifeSteelNerds page and looking at some of the videos, I realized I HAVE seen some of his videos before. I especially remember the "Smoke Knife" video because it was so absurd.

The Primitive Kitchen Knife where he uses nothing but rocks to make a knife was quite impressive.

Meh. I've never been able to stand those "ASMR roleplay" videos. Some of the common triggers are jarring and unpleasant, to me. And it seems like every single video tries to incorporate the broadest possible range of triggers.

As for the knife....? I guess it's easy to sharpen....?

You might have to experiment a little but I'm sure you could. Good ASMR channels use specialized mics to fully capture sounds. Some do more advanced work with the sound. It might seem silly but there is an art to it. Forget Wikipedia though. Do you know if you are susceptible to ASMR? Put on some headphones and try the short test video I posted above.

On a more knife-relevant note, steel is hard to beat. Does anyone have experience with non-steel knives? I used ceramic kitchen knives to help a friend prepare dinner once. I don't know about long-term performance but they sure cut the heck out of celery, onions, and peppers.

I used to be really into flint knapping but never had the ideal stones to knap with where I lived at the time and never managed to make a fine tipped arrowhead without breaking it in the process :D.Stone/Ceramic knives will hold an edge for a while,they do a good job cutting softer materials like fruit,and skin (learned that the hard way XD).If you want a quicker way to dull or damage the edge trying to cut into harder materials like wood,plastics will do that.Also be careful not to drop your ceramic knife because if your floor is made out something hard like marble tiles there is a good chance your knife will break into 2 or more pieces.

Hopper crystal structures are just cool. I believe Bismuth will crystalize into different shapes and surface finishes depending on the environment...at risk of sounding like an overly enthusiastic kid, I'll admit that I'd like to see and try that out for myself if I had the chance.

I found the knife made out of styrofoam quite interesting.

I don't think I watched that one. I even mentioned styrofoam in my article on his videos; the article came out a while before the styrofoam video though.

I'll get a response from her orgasm for sure.

Maybe you have to be under 30 for it to work? It was just annoying to me. And before you ask, yes headphones on. Koss Pro/4AA plugged into a Behringer U-Phoria USB audio interface, so I got all the little details.

Maybe you have to be under 30 for it to work? It was just annoying to me. And before you ask, yes headphones on. Koss Pro/4AA plugged into a Behringer U-Phoria USB audio interface, so I got all the little details.

It still works on me so I don't think there's an age cutoff. Some people just aren't susceptible. Those who are can vary by degree. Triggers can be hit or miss too. Another famous trigger not represented in this video is quiet whispering in the ear. If that's ever given you a chill or otherwise funny feeling, it's ASMR.

I mentioned children naturally discovering and playing with ASMR. The same is true for things like spinning around and getting dizzy. Unlike getting dizzy or sick though, ASMR can be surprisingly relaxing or soothing for people who are susceptible to it. I actually got into it because a little kid got me with a whisper and I remembered it from when I was a kid. I looked it up and ended up falling down the rabbit hole. Having sorted out some of the better presenters, I occasionally listen to one when I want to wind down early.

Watch this one (with headphones) and then tell me he is not going for ASMR!
And he actually makes a genuine usable forged mini knife using conventional knifemaking techniques and materials in the process. (unlike most of his "knives", which he destroys or discards at the end, this one is a "keeper"!)

Last edited:
Hopper crystal structures are just cool. I believe Bismuth will crystalize into different shapes and surface finishes depending on the environment...at risk of sounding like an overly enthusiastic kid, I'll admit that I'd like to see and try that out for myself if I had the chance.

Is it really a risk when you say that here on BladeForums?,I can't judge your enthusiasm to be honest, I like the idea of making things sharp and pointy.

Watch this one (with headphones) and then tell me he is not going for ASMR!
And he actually makes a genuine usable forged mini knife using conventional knifemaking techniques and materials in the process. (unlike most of his "knives", which he destroys or discards at the end, this one is a "keeper"!)

I must have forgotten how much he tries to put some ASMR stuff in his content,
still didn't get any strong triggers most of the time,the part where he handled the scissors did tickle a bit...Here's the last video I remember seeing from the channel.
...Now that I've seen the video you suggested me to watch, yeah he's definitely an ASMR channel.I think I've seen the video before.
That part where he put the teeny knife in a teeny tiny chest seemed familiar to me,It was cool little knife,probably would EDC it if I had it. :D

Back