For your persusal, if you like

C.S. Osborne still makes a saddlers hammer that has a similar poll. There are several examples of vintage saddlers hammers in an image search with similar polls, but none have a bit. I did come across some small vintage hatchets with a poll simply called "detail hatchets", but the polls were not similar to the tack hammer poll in the OP's pictures.

I still think this tool was used in saddle making, or upholstery.

C.S. Osborne still makes a saddlers hammer that has a similar poll. There are several examples of vintage saddlers hammers in an image search with similar polls, but none have a bit. I did come across some small vintage hatchets with a poll simply called "detail hatchets", but the polls were not similar to the tack hammer poll in the OP's pictures.

I still think this tool was used in saddle making, or upholstery.
Trees still come with the rawhide stitched and tacked requiring a long narrow polled hammer. It's one trade that has not been entirely replaced by modern materials and injected molded plastic or fiberglass.

I picked this up several years ago (somewhere). I can't find out much about this, other than its probably a lath hammer. Anyone recognize the maker? He's proud enough to put his mark on it several times. Anyway, have fun!
ATTACHMENTS

The shape is similar to Hubbard's Cabinet Makers Bench Hatchet.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-HUBBARD-amp-CO-8-OZ-CABINETMAKER-039-S-BENCH-HATCHET-/372166737242?nma=true&si=wTTLdVrmmoXoY4f1IkFVlutOrSg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
antique-used-hubbard-co-small_1_d61a31d3a705ca3aa77b9f5ce5552731.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Ernest for your perspective and insight.
Quinton, your thoughts and opinions are equally appreciated. I
suppose the smartl (?) option is to prepare and pack it away for prosperity, if any.
Still, it so dainty, well made, and signed, that there must be a definite purpose for it.
Thanks again guys. Keep me in mind if you have an epitomy!

Back