Forced lemon patina on BK62

Forcing a lemon patina on my BK62. I cleaned the blade well and sandwiched it between a couple of lemon slices. We'll see how it goes and keep you posted! Recommendations, what I shoulda done, and snide comments welcome!
20201025_172259.jpg

Look forward to the results. I like the way my concoction turned out on my 62:

Look forward to the results. I like the way my concoction turned out on my 62:

Wow that's beautiful. You obviously went the extra mi-- yard and took the scales off first. If my lemon works out, I'll remove mine and force-patina the tang

What was your concoction? Looks like a little French's??

We demand results!

My 62 in its various stages from current state to beginning:

m6499MKh.jpg

DVSNiU9h.jpg

97ZJqmth.jpg

2n6XUJ1h.jpg

qv2g8c5h.jpg

UwieJaVh.jpg

nGLL1Thh.jpg

h7ZRFsCh.jpg

Interesting tid-bit I learned, after getting the patina I wanted through a lengthy hot vinegar massage, the patina still evolved through use! So for those that say the best patina is gained through use, I believe forcing an initial patina is just a starting point!

20201026_111058.jpg 20201026_111122.jpg

Looks like one of the slices wasn't making contact. I rinsed and gently washed it off. I'm just headed back home to big sur from a visit with the folks. I'll remove the scales and oil them up when I get home. Could they look any drier?! I need to redo that one area on the blade... maybe hit the tang and the small areas missed like the tip and edges too.

Is that all I do? Seems super dark on the side where both lemons made contact.

What next?!

craytab craytab cool patina. I do like the fact that there's more to come with use. Thanks for that. Love that micarta too. I think for this 62 I'm sticking with the OG walnut. I dig The Warrior The Warrior 's distressed look.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
craytab craytab i just re-read that. (I'm a little slow on the uptake!) So that's one knife. Got it. Did you stain that micarta?

craytab craytab i just re-read that. (I'm a little slow on the uptake!) So that's one knife. Got it. Did you stain that micarta?
In the beginning it was two knives (the earlier pics at the bottom). I started modding one and kept the other clean. Both eventually got micarta scales that I dyed different shades. In the end, I kept the blade with the patina and the set of scales that were darker.

I got a nice dark even patina by rubbing the blade down with hot vinegar until I got the darkness i wanted.

I'd say if you are happy with your results just continue what you are doing! You can always clean it off and try again. Lots of tutorials out there on different ways to force a patina.

In the beginning it was two knives (the earlier pics at the bottom). I started modding one and kept the other clean. Both eventually got micarta scales that I dyed different shades. In the end, I kept the blade with the patina and the set of scales that were darker.

I got a nice dark even patina by rubbing the blade down with hot vinegar until I got the darkness i wanted.

I'd say if you are happy with your results just continue what you are doing! You can always clean it off and try again. Lots of tutorials out there on different ways to force a patina.
I hadn't even considered a tutorial. Reading just a few threads here, I got a wild hair and went for it knowing that worst case, I could remove it and start over. Which I think I'll do. At least on that side where both lemons made contact. The other side looks pretty cool. Just need more.

I'm just scraping the surface here (no pun, etc) screwing around. I'll post more as I progress.

View attachment 1444152 View attachment 1444153

Looks like one of the slices wasn't making contact. I rinsed and gently washed it off. I'm just headed back home to big sur from a visit with the folks. I'll remove the scales and oil them up when I get home. Could they look any drier?! I need to redo that one area on the blade... maybe hit the tang and the small areas missed like the tip and edges too.

Is that all I do? Seems super dark on the side where both lemons made contact.

What next?!

craytab craytab cool patina. I do like the fact that there's more to come with use. Thanks for that. Love that micarta too. I think for this 62 I'm sticking with the OG walnut. I dig The Warrior The Warrior 's distressed look.

Thanks guys!

I really like how your patina turned out. The inconsistent pattern gives it character. If it were i, id leave it. Through use it would gain more patina to protect the part where the lemon didnt have good contact.

To each their own. Redo the patina as many times as you want to get it where you like it.

I really like how your patina turned out. The inconsistent pattern gives it character. If it were i, id leave it. Through use it would gain more patina to protect the part where the lemon didnt have good contact.

To each their own. Redo the patina as many times as you want to get it where you like it.
Thank you! Maybe I'll leave that darker side for awhile.

Had to add another slice to the other though!
20201027_125955.jpg

I think this one turned out the best. Thinner slice, tapped down.
View attachment 1445037

Probably one of the Coolest forced patinas I've seen....

I gave up after liking mine, and Using it just changes it right away.....

Now My "bait knife" is dark, and used.....Whatever happens, Happens.
And She likes it that way. :D

Of course!

Looking great though. Really making it your own!
Probably for the best. As Murphy's Law would have it... had I been able to get them off, I would have embarked on a midnight mission, and my 2 year old would have been up at 4am.
Probably one of the Coolest forced patinas I've seen....

I gave up after liking mine, and Using it just changes it right away.....

Now My "bait knife" is dark, and used.....Whatever happens, Happens.
And She likes it that way. :D
Thank you! Yeah I'm sure it'll change with use. I'll take this as a starting point though!

Guess I'll replace that single hex and keep messing with the 62. Living on a lemon orchard... seems mandatory that I do this! Gotta get those scales some moisture and character too. And I love that distressed look like The Warrior The Warrior got.

To be continued...

Back