Forced Patina

My funnest forced patina was with ketchup, mayo, and BBQ sauce.

1181784241img1174plysq.jpg

1181784229img1178.jpg

Now that is one of THE coolest forced patina's I have seen thus far. Well done.....I must try this on a future force! So far mustard is all Ihave tried and works great for cool patterns.

Nice job:thumbup::thumbup::D

Chris

I was just cutting some fresh green walnuts

It turned the carbon blade black!!!!

I will see what it does to D2....

Got a fresh new Opinel #8 in a potato as we speak. Gonna let it sleep on it tonight, then stab it in a pineapple in the AM. Why pineapple? Because it is going bad in my kitchen.

Last edited:
If anyone can get a patina forced on D2 steel, I would be very interested to know how. Cheers!

If anyone can get a patina forced on D2 steel, I would be very interested to know how. Cheers!

I have not gotten a patina on the satin finish of the Maple blades.
On the polished finish it patinas to a grey of the Amber bone

Try the old trick of sticking it in a potato over night

anyone know the best, non-toxic method of etching SR-101? I have an idea for some modification that I want to do to a couple of my blades, and am looking for a relatively non-toxic (I live in an apartment) and hopefully simple way to etch.

I've been meaning to post a reply on the good way to Patina on this thread when it was first stated and way before today but as luck had it I found myself a bit crowded for time before this..

However, today I had some time so here is my latest newly acquired traditional custom produced sheath knife hunter/skinner..

Natural Patina of coarse on virgin O-1 Hi-Carbon steel. Used to cut 6-7 lemons and several small Key Limes too for our freshly caught Largemouth Bass right before around the 4th of July..

106f2v4.jpg

2zqyk41.jpg

We've got greens, yellows, a little orange, blues, light grays, and such.

Anthony

Interesting little knife Anthony and a nicely started patina. The knife looks to have a rather stiff blade but I'd bet it would come in handy on a fishing boat. It'd probably make a good bait knife.

Oh, thanks for the reference to Key Limes. It's brought visions of Key Lime Pie to my mind. I'll have to have the wife make one for this weekend. Of course she'll slice it with one of our traditional kitchen knives.

Interesting little knife Anthony and a nicely started patina. The knife looks to have a rather stiff blade but I'd bet it would come in handy on a fishing boat. It'd probably make a good bait knife.

Oh, thanks for the reference to Key Limes. It's brought visions of Key Lime Pie to my mind. I'll have to have the wife make one for this weekend. Of course she'll slice it with one of our traditional kitchen knives.

Yes, this little David Farmer custom skinner has a very stiff blade with no flex but as you say is a peach of a knife in a pinch for filleting and other chores. Although, I do prefer a thinner more traditional knife for filleting fish..

And now you have ME hankering for some home made Key Lime pie too. :)

Best,
Anthony

I've forced patinas in the past. Now I let them occur naturally. Whenever I cut some patina-inducing foods I just leave the juices on the blade and set it aside for awhile. I'll clean the knife at the same time I was the dishes. The patina develops soon enough, and at a relatively accelerated pace. Take this Mooremaker soddie for example -

mmsodbustermango.jpg

- Christian

Yes, this little David Farmer custom skinner has a very stiff blade with no flex but as you say is a peach of a knife . . .
Best,
Anthony

Sunny, I think David Farmer is a very underated maker. I have one of his larger skinners (same shape as yours, but 4-1/2" blade) in forged L6 tool steel and bamboo handles that's just crying for a big whitetail this fall!

What is the blade length and handle material on yours?

Sunny, I think David Farmer is a very underated maker. I have one of his larger skinners (same shape as yours, but 4-1/2" blade) in forged L6 tool steel and bamboo handles that's just crying for a big whitetail this fall!

What is the blade length and handle material on yours?

You are 100% absolutely correct about Dave. He produces some fine quality hand made stickers & hunter/skinners for a real no-nonsense price to us knife knuts in the current economic climate. I was fortunate enough to snag my custom knife for less than $50. US bucks..

Your L-6 high carbon steel and bamboo scales sounds like the cats pajamas to me! :thumbup: I'd really like to see a photo of that one! The Whitetails in your neck of the woods better be cautious for sure!.

.. My blade is 3 1/4 and the overall is 7 1/4. A fine skinner If'n you ask me.

Best Always,
Anthony

I got in the habit of sharing an apple with the dog for a while. That pretty well took care of it. Of course, to this day if I get out the soddie, the dog starts drooling and glancing at the fridge :D

Your L-6 high carbon steel and bamboo scales sounds like the cats pajamas to me! :thumbup: I'd really like to see a photo of that one! The Whitetails in your neck of the woods better be cautious for sure!.

Best Always,
Anthony

Ask, and you shall receive!

FarmerSkinner.jpg

This is my case CV stockman with yellow delrin handle. I forced this patina with lime juice: I just dipped a paper towel in the lime juice and dabbed it on the blade and let it sit for about 60 seconds then wiped it off. Pretty simple and looks nice.

100_0568.jpg

Now you can patina your SAC's!!!!

Get a fresh oyster more fresh better, get evrything from inside, bash it up place it on the blade, leave it overnight. You're there

WARNING: This procedure is not recomended for carbon steel!!!

Now you can patina your SAC's!!!!

Get a fresh oyster more fresh better, get evrything from inside, bash it up place it on the blade, leave it overnight. You're there

WARNING: This procedure is not recomended for carbon steel!!!

Then what is it for? It's near impossible to get stainless steel to patina.

- Christian

Back