Forge De Laguiole... French, but intrigues me...

Forge De Laguiole, a French firm that makes these types of knives, and the style seems soo cool... I have been wanting one and will likely fill my desire. The style is said to be of slipjoint design, and itself likely being something derived from the Spanish Navaja (just like our Toothpicks are likely much derived from). The one I am looking to get has Ebony handles, a file/engraved back spring, and a forged T12 stainless blade. The thing seems to ooze quality from all the pics and readings about them. Anyhow... not like me to include foreign made knives.. but it is a traditional pocket knife... and it is not chinese, which may be fine for others to own... but just ain't for me. Anyhow... I believe it would make a nice addition to my collection... that is, if they are all that they seem touted to be in terms of overall quailty. Anybody here have experience with this firm's products? Thanks in advance :)

While there is absolutely nothing wrong with Forge De Laguiole, they are a more mass produced version, yes they are French made, and setup shop in the town of Laguiole, their bee/fly is soldiered onto spring rather than a one piece forged spring and bee/fly. For a few dollars more take a look at Laguiole En Aubrac, one person/cutler makes the knife from start to finish and signs the back of blade with a specific file pattern, also the spring & fly/bee is forged from one piece of steel and the file marks are more pronounced and unique done by hand, Forge De Laguiole are stamped. Laguiole En Aubrac is found in the hands of most farmers and on the vineyards in France. Be carful when buying Laguiole as it is a style like stockman, congress, trapper etc. lots of junk ones on the market.

Pete
Ps if you need help pm me, Laguioles were a passion of mine about 20-25 years ago I've done a lot of research

Can't stress enough that there is nothing wrong with Forge De Laguiole, I will probably add one to my stable at some point, mainly because I can pick one out in person about 40 min from where I live.

Last edited:
Laguiole En Aubrac

Cutlers file mark on back of blade
92B4E8CC-DA8E-4642-8FF8-5293D0DFB6F2-7610-000007E990E5B8B4_zps31474263.jpg

Spring
AA946B21-F16F-4353-AFFC-D2A253EAAAED-7635-000007EA60627012_zpsb84b81f4.jpg

A more mass produced Rossignol Laguiole
7 marks on back of blade for days of week
Spring stamped
83C03889-D322-492D-81B4-C01C069CF995-7635-000007EA693E68E9_zpsfa3b5508.jpg

Also if you don't like strong pulls, stay away from French knives, GEC's pull is light compared to the Laguiole knives I own

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...our-French-traditional-regional-pocket-knives

Last edited:
Forge de Laguiole and Laguiole en Aubrac are two excellent brands that I would trust to buy online. I had many Laguioles made by renowned cutlers of Thiers (R. David and Rossignol, mainly). I bought those over the counter and took care to check them "in and out". F de L are of equal quality from what I've seen. I currently use two F de L that were gifted to me : the oldest (blade, punch and corkscrew / 20 years or so) is quite roughly finished but the essentials are right. The youngest (blade, corkscrew / about 8 years) is flawless and very carefully finished. It rivals my older Laguioles (40 years and +) from Thiers. Did they improve or was the buyer more picky when making his choice ? Anyway, the Laguiole is a splendid knife (partly because it's a slipjoint with such a strong spring / tang interaction that the blade is almost locked open !).

I have a Laguiole en Aubrac in snakewood and can say that they are very well made. I carry and use mine often.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Kris

Herisson do you any experience with Actiforge?
I know they produce different levels of quality choice of forged bee and spring or soldiered, I've never seen or handled in person.

Pete

The only one I have is by Actiforge. Aside from the typical lack of a kick on the blade to keep the edge off the spring, it is well-made and the Sandvik steel takes a nice edge.

Never got to touch an Actiforge Laguiole... I had a look at their website : there is a bit too much fancy for my taste but this says nothing about their quality. I'm a bit disappointed how the French cutlers have been massively won over by the Sandvik 12C27. It's an excellent steel, period, but those carbon steel blades took such a nice patina over the years, matching perfectly the tarnished brass bolsters. We've traded a bit of tradition for quality, it seems...

One of the reasons I've been looking at Actiforge is in their build your own department, you can choose carbon blade.

Pete

That "build your own" section is a treat ! I composed sort of an old timer Laguiole of my dreams... Nice, nice. Ended at near 100 € (and that's about the retail price in a shop). But that's a risk I take often for american knives (standard production) I buy in the US (if you ever get a lemon the shipping cost kills the deal...).

1zqsghu.jpg

Well, this is the one I was looking at ((on an online store). And, I did place the order for it. My american made traditional pocket knife collection... well, will be joined by a foreigner... hope they all can get along ;-)

288xr9i.jpg

Another pic of what the knife is supposed to look like.... this showing the work done on the backspring. This knife will be a lot of firsts for me.... 1st French knife, 1st knife of this style, 1st pocket knife made using a forged blade, 1st knife made with this type of stainless, 1st ebony wood handle knife... and 1st having filework on it's spring.

Last edited:
Congrats ! Excellent choice, beautiful knife... You will love it !

Thanks.... I do hope I will be! :) I mentioned the knife will have filework on it's back spring... but, after having seen a video on how Forge De Laguiole makes these knives, they use files and chisels ti engrave their springs.... kinda neat to watch! :)

Laguiole en aubrac and fontenille pataud are the two laguiole brands I have tried and can recommend.

Congrats on a fine looking knife.

My first was a very similar one from Fontenille Pataud, and it is a real gem.
It sees a lot of pocket time:)

One of the reasons I've been looking at Actiforge is in their build your own department, you can choose carbon blade.

Pete

Fontenille-Pataud offers the same, I got my first in Carbon Steel. X75 or something like that

Here is my Laguiole I ordered one in RaindropIMG_4361.jpgIMG_4362.jpgIMG_4363.jpg Damascus from Laguiole and one craftsman made it from start to finish !

Back