1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Forge-finished finery, bush swords, etc.

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Storm Crow, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Storm Crow

Storm Crow KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 12, 2006
    Been busy banging out bodadacious blades. Here are some recents. 80CrV2 steel, cord wraps, and Boltaron sheaths all around.

A biohazard outbreak reaction bush sword and smaller utility knife that went to a repeat customer in Canada. The bush sword has scorched hemp for the main wrap and black paracord Turk's head knots. The smaller knife has tan paracord over hemp, with a black paracord Turk's head.

[​IMG]kq01 by James Helm, on Flickr

A similarly-sized (6"~ blade) knife as the above utility, with hemp.

[​IMG]db01 by James Helm, on Flickr

Variations on Benghazi Warfighters, two with sharpened upper edges.

[​IMG]knife01 by James Helm, on Flickr

[​IMG]knife03 by James Helm, on Flickr

[​IMG]knife04 by James Helm, on Flickr

[​IMG]knife02 by James Helm, on Flickr

[​IMG]knife05 by James Helm, on Flickr

A Benghazi Warfighter with black oxide finish, headed to an Army Ranger. He had commissioned a bigger chopper/fighter from me a few years ago, a variation of my Aggression design (I need to make some more of those). We decided this was a "micro-Aggression" and the sheath is a "safe space" from it. :D He can't tell me yet where he's deploying, but this is going with him.

[​IMG]bw01 by James Helm, on Flickr

[​IMG]bw02 by James Helm, on Flickr

A couple of donation blades, the first for Knife Rights in their continued fight to remove restrictions on the ability of law-abiding citizens to carry arms in the United States. This year, a falcata-ish bush sword with retina-searing neon orange underlay.

[​IMG]donation02 by James Helm, on Flickr

I don't realize how big my hands look until I take a picture of me holding a blade.

[​IMG]donation05 by James Helm, on Flickr

And a much smaller donation knife for my old high school, raising funds for teacher projects that run outside the school budget.

[​IMG]donation04 by James Helm, on Flickr

One of the most useful comments I've had on my work came years ago when a knife dealer told me my blades were good but my sheaths sucked. I have worked to make that better, and think I have achieved a decent level of workmanlike sheaths.

[​IMG]donation01 by James Helm, on Flickr

[​IMG]donation03 by James Helm, on Flickr

And finally, the first oxtail dao I've done in a long time. The customer had as reference a picture of one I built many years ago.

[​IMG]dao by James Helm, on Flickr

Here's what I came up with for him. He was quite taken with the results.

[​IMG]oxtail01 by James Helm, on Flickr

I'd say I've improved through the years. The top edge is fully sharpened on the new one.

[​IMG]oxtail03 by James Helm, on Flickr

The design called for an open-backed sheath.

[​IMG]oxtail02 by James Helm, on Flickr

Ok, headed to the shop to work on some carcass splitters. :)

Patrice, AVigil, Lorien and 11 others like this.
  2. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2011
    Every single knife looks outstanding! I like your style...

Justin Schmidt and Storm Crow like this.
  3. The Shatz

The Shatz Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2017
    Love your work James

4. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    they all look great !

5. Sled

Sled Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2008
    All great stuff. Really liking the " Knife Rights" donation blade and the Oxtail Dao. The wraps and sheaths are exemplary in my opinion.

Love the sheath on mine!

6. rpn

rpn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Great stuff...especially the falcata and smaller knife. :thumbsup:

7. Mike157

Mike157 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2006
    Very nice spread, James. All looking good! Mike

8. Camber

Camber

Jul 13, 2011
    Always a pleasure to see your work.

9. Critter

Critter Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Thanks so much to James for his continued generous support. His blades always generate a great deal of interest online and at the booth. You can help support Knife Rights' efforts to forge a Sharper Futureā„¢ for all Americans and get a chance to win this sword and from over $150,000 in prizes at: www.UltimateSteel.org With a record of 30 bills enacted in 21 states in 9 years, you can have confidence your donations are getting it done for Americna's knife owners and makers.

If you are a maker, we are still accepting donations and would welcome your support.

Storm Crow likes this.
  10. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    some day, I have a feeling some of your work will end up here:thumbsup::cool:

Storm Crow and Justin Schmidt like this.
  11. Storm Crow

Storm Crow KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 12, 2006
    Thanks, guys!

Been a busy year, and working on being busier forging out blades.

Lorien - You going to Blade Show or Blade Show West this year?

12. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    I'm gonna try and tear Stuart away from his forge and head to Blade West this fall. Gunning for Hotlanta next year...