Forged titanium sword collaborations with Dan Keffeler

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Dan Keffeler has been a mentor of sorts to me since early on in the titanium sword pursuit, helping to keep me on the right path as, over time, what needed figurin' got figured. Although there were a couple of tries, due to the rarity and limited dimensions in which I can find appropriate titanium alloy stock for swords, I had never been able to get Dan a suitably-sized billet with which to make a blade in his style.

One day when discussing our experiences on Knife or Death and the blades each of us had made for the occasion (which were light and thin), we decided to quit fucking around and make a collaborative sword happen, which required taking things to a whole new level of complexity: multi-alloy titanium sword billets.

After an enormous burst of energy and time from both of us, and the assistance of Ed Schempp who let us use his large, well-equipped forging shop more than once, and David Lisch, who provided an amazing forge that was capable of perfectly heat-treating huge titanium alloy swords, we were able to get it done.

Dan completed two test swords, one of a three-alloy billet with a welded bit, and the other being an experimental forge-welded titanium san mai. My job was to make and forge billets that could encompass Dan's designs, and then heat treat them when they got to the proper stage of shaping. Everything else was done by Dan: all of the grinding, hilting, everything that turned the rough billet into a sword.

The experimental san mai sword, which had a very thin core:

dICK84C.jpg

Dr. Keff-dogg has very high standards for the performance of sword blade material. Would a proper titanium alloy, with the ole' Mecha heat treatment, be able to support his insane sword designs and geometry?

In proper Mad Science Forge cheesy Youtube video fashion, let's find out:

We made more than one titanium san mai billet, finalized versions with thicker cores, such as the one I used for the Sui Dynasty ring dao. Things can only get weirder from here.

TO BE CONTINUED...

:cool:

Sorry, I’m a bit confused. Should I send my money to you, Dan, or to both of you?

That would be Dan, in this case. All I did for these ones was basically hand over a crude, raw forged billet, and then later on conjure a heat treatment ritual on the blade when it got to the proper point in shaping.

et2dS0M.jpg

REQUEST Please Read can you make me a Custom Titanium Walking Cane with the Shape of a Grim Reaper Scythe more Fantasy like not for the Old and that it would be still Legal to Travel with and how much would that cost ?

I want something Unique that is exactly showing what I think about Life and Existance.

Please Message me Thank You.

This is some Inspiration.

https://www.wayfair.com/decor-pillo...scythe-figurine-w004061154.html#rcij7yed8hf-7

Like this for Example.

Last edited:
All fine and dandy, but can it strip 14 ga direct burial irrigation wire?
:D

That video is impressive. Way to go. I am glad I Mecha.

REQUEST Please Read can you make me a Custom Titanium Walking Cane with the Shape of a Grim Reaper Scythe more Fantasy like not for the Old and that it would be still Legal to Travel with and how much would that cost ?

I want something Unique that is exactly showing what I think about Life and Existance.

Please Message me Thank You.

This is some Inspiration.

https://www.wayfair.com/decor-pillo...scythe-figurine-w004061154.html#rcij7yed8hf-7

Like this for Example.

So one without a sharp blade, so it can be carried around in public? That's doable, but the titanium pipe for the staff part will be pretty costly.

Speaking of which...

All fine and dandy, but can it strip 14 ga direct burial irrigation wire?
:D

That video is impressive. Way to go. I am glad I Mecha.

The hangup on your scoops is the cost of the pipes.

I don’t mind the Cost it should be Unique and yes not Sharp or to Extremly Pointy I didn’t see your Reply thank you so much for Answering me.

I am new to this Forum and Website maybe you can send me a Private Message somehow I can’t figure out for now how I can send you a Message but I don’t Mind to discuss this in Public like in this Thread either your work is Awesome.

Impossible to express how cool I find this sword, and the materials, collab, etc.

I have to say, Mecha, I'm jealous you got to go use Ed Schempp's forge.

I work in Ephrata and live in Moses Lake.

Would have loved to meet up and shoot the breeze.

I have an Atlas Forge Graham blown forge, and a compact 65lb Atlas Forge sawers anvil, and a few cheap hammers.

I have a single speed 2x72 grinderband have made a few stock removal knives.

I've only forged two knives so far. But would absolutely love having some one to mentor me. Show me tricks etc.

I love that you are pushing the boundaries of what titanium alloys are capable of doing in blade applications. And showing others what they are capable of.

I remember watching on Knife or Death when the hosts were discussing titanium and how a light flexible sword would do..... I said to my family "watch, they are going to be blown away at how well it performs!"

I've had a few fun conversations where people are amazed when shown what your titanium swords are capable of (and what Dan Keffler is capable of doing with his knives and swords).

I actually showed one of his cutting vids and some of yours, when a co worker said off hand "titanium can't make good swords or knives"

Last edited:
Impossible to express how cool I find this sword, and the materials, collab, etc.

I have to say, Mecha, I'm jealous you got to go use Ed Schempp's forge.

I work in Ephrata and live in Moses Lake.

Would have loved to meet up and shoot the breeze.

I have an Atlas Forge Graham blown forge, and a compact 65lb Atlas Forge sawers anvil, and a few cheap hammers.

I have a single speed 2x72 grinderband have made a few stock removal knives.

I've only forged two knives so far. But would absolutely love having some one to mentor me. Show me tricks etc.

I love that you are pushing the boundaries of what titanium alloys are capable of doing in blade applications. And showing others what they are capable of.

I remember watching on Knife or Death when the hosts were discussing titanium and how a light flexible sword would do..... I said to my family "watch, they are going to be blown away at how well it performs!"

I've had a few fun conversations where people are amazed when shown what your titanium swords are capable of (and what Dan Keffler is capable of doing with his knives and swords).

I actually showed one of his cutting vids and some of yours, when a co worker said off hand "titanium can't make good swords or knives"

Ed Schempp is super nice and kept feeding us amazing smoked ribs. Maybe he'd show you how to forge. I think David Lisch does forging classes, could look into that. He's just over the mountain.

Glad the ti sword madness is entertaining. :D

Back