Forged W2 Hunter heading for OKCA show

Hi all here is a hunter I forged from some 2 1/4" W2 I got from Don Hanson. It was clay coated and has been hand rubbed to 2500 grit to bring out the hamon. I want to thanks Nick Wheeler I used his method on this hamon. It has 416 stainless steel bolsters and stabilized black line spalted Oregon Ash with domed 416 stainless steel pins. Also sporting a tapered tang.

Thanks for looking.

Blade is 3/16" thick, 1 3/8" wide, 4 1/4" tip to plunge cut, 9 3/4" overall
ForgedW2HunterwSpaltedOregonAshA.jpg

ForgedW2HunterwSpaltedOregonAshB.jpg

Couple new pictures,

ForgedW2hunterWithSpaltedAshC.jpg

ForgedW2hunterWithSpaltedAshD.jpg

Last edited:
What Bruce said. I particularly like the treatment of rounded bolsters, pins and handle.
Really sets the knife apart.

Thanks Guys, I did this one all with files and sand paper no belt grinder LOL. Bruce and Mike I will see you guys at the show.

The wife is still working on pictures of this one to show the tapered tang and I will post them as I get them.

Also looks like I got my money in late for the show so I have been moved to a different table, I think it is T9 where I will be now.

Thats really nice. As Stuart an Buce said before me, I especially like the finish on the metal parts. smoth as silk:D

Very Nice Mike I to love how you did the raised pins and that wood. will you have some of that wood for sale.

Very Cool Knife Mike!
I bet that one doesn't sit on the table very long.
Glad you are going to the show. See you there.

Thanks guys :D, glad you all like it. This one is proving to be a challenge for my wife to photograph but she is still working at it.

Dave unfortunately not, I wish I had a truck load of this wood.

Couple new pictures also posted them in the first post,

ForgedW2hunterWithSpaltedAshC.jpg

ForgedW2hunterWithSpaltedAshD.jpg

Nice job Mike. I bet the hamon is much more active in person. They are so hard to capture in a photo. I had a photographer give up on me because of them. I need to get the hang of it myself.

See you at the show.

Thanks guys,

Chuck my photography about quit me on this one too LOL, she is not happy shooting this one for sure to many curves and reflections to deal with.

Back