Forging: Can I Play With Madness!

I'm right there with you, I got a 4" and a 5", and was going to set up a smithy when we lived out in the country, but we had to give up the acreage.
Guess we both gotta git it done! Race ya to it!

You're on! I've gotten a figure out a layout and size.

That will be a cool little camper! What was your last forge project?

I want to make an antler, can't quite wrap my head around it yet. It might have to be a spike buck at first!

I want to make an antler, can't quite wrap my head around it yet. It might have to be a spike buck at first!
That would be cool, and quite a project!

I'm going to "try" to do a simplified fleur-de-lis out of some 3" strapping for the outside of my sons camp trailer. No guarantee it will resemble anything like it!
afc97d339b6238bcde9e239cc9bcaaf5.jpg

That's gonna look great! Did you use a spring fuller of some sort for the pinch?

That's gonna look great! Did you use a spring fuller of some sort for the pinch?
Oh....that one is not mine, just what I'm going to try. But yes, a spring fuller is what you'd need to neck it down with. That's another thing to make!

I need to make one for things like that, I've got some 5/8 rod that would probably work.

Colonial Blackamithing talk from Peter Ross. Not the most thrilling stuff but pretty interesting if you like to whack iron.

I've seen him a bunch of times on Roy Underhill's show The "Woodwright shop" Pretty interesting character.

The woodright shop is some good TV. His dovetails and whirligig episodes are always fascinating.

Roy Underhill passed on the bit of knowledge, " If you look at the edge and you see something, you have nothing. If you look at the edge and see nothing, then you have something."

He was referring to a chisel he was sharpening but it stuck and it became a bit of a mantra when I sharpen my knives. ;)

Made another pocket scribe, this one is even smaller than the first but it's actually the perfect size.
IMG_20180825_160425.jpg IMG_20180825_161319-1024x769.jpg
I'm really getting a kick out of small work like this, but forged cutty things cometh:cool:

My wife and I have a small collection of such lovely forged things. With mixed feelings we have given too many away as gifts :( - (my favorite - a Russian made corkscrew I found in a Moscow market - have never seen anything like it - the recipient no longer drinks wine :confused:) still we share the appreciation of this style of craftsmanship. :thumbsup:

Very nice John.

Ray

My wife and I have a small collection of such lovely forged things. With mixed feelings we have given too many away as gifts :( - (my favorite - a Russian made corkscrew I found in a Moscow market - have never seen anything like it - the recipient no longer drinks wine :confused:) still we share the appreciation of this style of craftsmanship. :thumbsup:

Very nice John.

Ray
Thanks Ray, let me know how it works;)

Nice, John! Very finely details there. Are you putting any finish on them...like beeswax?
I've been using straight beeswax. I need to try linseed oil but I'm really not a fan of the smell.

Back