Forging: Can I Play With Madness!

Nitzan Lilie does it again , this time with a custom request. The little one on the left is the result, a miniature dogs head hammer with a flat face and a rounded back, less than half pound, to be used for peening. I sent a sketch and I couldn't be more pleased.

The face is flat and chamfered very nicely, and the back is just round enough. I won't have to dress either. Yes I'm nerding out over hammers, but hand tools really float my boat.
View attachment 978977
Just stop it! Or at least tell me you hate them, and not worth getting a divorce over!:eek:

Very cool, John, just about the coolest little hammer I've seen! Looks like that will be a great little hammer!:thumbsup:

Stop what? This?
IMG_20180904_113040-1024x1366.jpg IMG_20180803_104913_569.jpg
Whatever you do don't go to his website through this quick and easy link- →HERE←

Oh and don't contact him through his preferred method of Text at 9fife1 4ninety 18ninety

Definitely don't take my word for it that he's prompt and professional and seems like probably an all around good guy.

And DO NOT look at this picture he sent me of this little thing....
27787.jpeg
Mwuhahahahahahaaaa!!!!

I used the new hammer today to push some bronze around. The dogs head shape is as nice as I'd hoped, it gives nice clearance and control. It should be nice for peening pins, I do a lot of glancing type blows where the head is kind of skating off the center of the pin 360 degrees, the height of the head should keep my knuckles happier. The 5.5 oz weight really feels like a sweet spot.

I'm a hammer nerd, I admit it. I even caught myself saying "Aren't you a Dapper little Tapper" while using it. That's when you know you have a problem:eek:

You are sooo modest, you dapper little tapper, you. :)
I have been known to talk to my tools too. ;)

R

Last edited:
That's too funny, as soon as I said it I thought of that line. "Me? I'm a 'Dapper Dan man' myself"!

Made a small spring swage out of some 3/8 stock. Works fairly good, it fits in the Pritchell hole instead of the Hardy. Which at first I regretted (it allows some movement being in a round Pritchell hole instead of fit to the square Hardy hole) but it's actually kind of handy, you can swing it out of the way and use the whole face. Blah blah blah, Yackity Smackity.

IMG_20180910_123840-1024x1820.jpg
IMG_20180910_125017-1024x1821.jpg

Heat treat and temper ready next lots of grinding.
rw8UDB2.jpg

Sweet, those have nice lines. What are you gonna handle them in?

Being my own worst enemy. I tried following a forging tutorial instead of following my Inner Pooh. It turned into an abomination.

This was the last point that there was hope. After this, everything went to shite. When I tried to drain ou it the edge, things went downhill fast and I couldn't recover.
20180918_230331-01.jpeg
Trust the inner Pooh.

Back