Forum Knife Updates and comments

I did darken it with Potassium Permanganate (KMnO4) and then polish the high spots with 600 and then 1000 grit sandpaper. Also, added a swedge to the sheepfoot blade.
Now, it's 'mine'.:)
Thanks for the info! I am going to look into the Potassium Permanganate for another knife I have. (I have not received my BF knives yet.)

Mine came in yesterday's mail. It's a great knife. There is no under blading and the fit and finish is first rate with no drips, runs, errors, chips, cracks, or gaps and to top it off the covers, although light in color, are very well defined and even (color wise) on both the Mark side and Pile side. The slanted bolsters really set it off. Oh, the blades are sharp out of the box and ready to go. The pull for both blades is about 4.5 to 5 and the walk and talk for both blades is snappy.

8hJSoHZ.jpg

M9Ff1Kp.jpg

skblades skblades and Buck did a heck of a job. I,m so glad we got away from GEC this year. Not because of anything negative with GEC but I think we needed a change and Buck came through in spades. Hopefully we'll be able to use them again in the future.

Last edited:
A lot of variation in the elk. I have not yet seen a set of covers I don't like, from the smoother to the knobbier. I plan to be delighted with whatever I get. Which should be this afternoon - I got the "out for delivery" update this morning.

Well I did finally get a pre ship notification on Thursday, but apparently it’s hiding behind the SKBlades office microwave.:( The good news? These are looking mighty nice.

I'm kicking myself for missing out on this one. I had access to the store and everything, but as it usually is, life happens and I didn't have the funds to spend.

Glad to see most are happy with their knives. I'm hoping that Buck makes this a regular production at some point (without the fancy covers, of course).

Nice... went from Monday delivery to... sometime today! Time to stare longingly out the window and scare the *$%& out of the mailman when he gets here :D

Dang. Based on previous packages from Post Falls, mine should have been here yesterday, even though the estimate was today. It made it to Denver in the wee hours yesterday morning. But now all tracking says is "in transit to next destination". That's a new one, usually it shows a departure scan from Denver. Now I'm on pins and needles wondering what the heck USPS is doing with my baby.

Got my pre shipment notice on Friday but still hasn’t hit the post office .
I’m chomping at the bit here lol :)
Same boat here.
Pre-shipment since Thursday.
I keep anxiously refreshing the USPS page, but being the weekend I'll give the bandwidth a break till Monday.

My tracking said Monday, but showed up today (knife and slip). Am I the first to receive a slip? I don’t recall seeing anyone mention or show one yet.

Fit and finish of the knife is terrific and exceeds my expectations both considering the cost and some of the ones I’ve seen posted so far.

Very minimal spring gaps (8 of 10). Springs and liners line up nice and smooth (9 of 10). Blade spines line up very smoothly with handle when open (10 of 10). Pull is a tiny bit on the weak side, although that’s really not a spec I stress about much. It opens and closes completely and safely. No blade rub. Tang ends are smooth and not sharp.

I did not vote elk, and was hoping for smooth and light in color versus dark and knobby. I lucked out as mine is extremely smooth on one side, and fairly smooth on their other. Both sides are light in color. Over all, pretty good with respect to matching. Given I’m not a big fan of elk, I’m very happy with how mine turned out. The white of the elk matches our metal selection (no brass) extremely well. It’s a good looking knife.

Slip is nice. Very dark brown in color. Leather is very thin, heavily processed, uniform in appearance. In other words, you won’t mistake it for an amateur made slip. Very functional, and a perfect fit for the knife.

64DDqDQ.jpg

hKwLPKI.jpg

Last edited:
Same boat here.
Pre-shipment since Thursday.
I keep anxiously refreshing the USPS page, but being the weekend I'll give the bandwidth a break till Monday.
UPDATE:

Buck still has about 200 knives they need to finish and get to me. I believe 99% of you should at least have a pre-shipment notification. We'll get more knives next week and get them out to you. I wish we would have gotten them all this week. I can only ask for a wee bit more patience with the process from you all. Thanks for all the awesome photos and comments thus far!

Nice looking knives. Mine came today which really surprised me as I didn't see a notification in my email. But I could of deleted it with all the junk email that came. The leather slip is nice also. I'll have to take some pictures later. Now the decision on which to put up and which to carry or put them both up. Original plan was to carry on and put one up. Now not so sure.

Got mine in. Been pondering it for a little while.
- Overall knife is slender and seems like a nice pocket rider.
- I really like the Elk, nice and thin, and matching thickness. The two sides aren't a perfect match, but no biggie, I like em both.
- There are several decent gaps in the springs, but I could live with that, not the only knife I have with gaps.
- Sheep blade is fairly centered, Clip leans way to the edge, almost touching the liner. Could live with that as well, probably, but seems related to the question below.

What I'm struggling with is it doesn't seem right at the end/pivot pins, and I'm wondering if that might cause any issues over time. There are significant gaps at both ends. The clip doesn't seem to be set straight, almost twisted, and pin is very visible to the center. The sheep is fairly straight, but pin is visible on both sides. In my mind this is not good fit and may cause loose blades over some time. Was looking for any input from some of you if this is a big deal or not.

Clip end:
ClipEnd1.jpg

ClipEnd2.jpg

Sheep end:
SheepEnd1.jpg

SheepEnd2.jpg

Appreciate any input if I should just accept this, or possibly send it back in to be reset or tightened up.
I would send it back.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Buck still has about 200 knives they need to finish and get to me. I believe 99% of you should at least have a pre-shipment notification. We'll get more knives next week and get them out to you. I wish we would have gotten them all this week. I can only ask for a wee bit more patience with the process from you all. Thanks for all the awesome photos and comments thus far!

Since I have mine, it's easy for me to say "don't worry about it" but "don't worry about it". You could have held all of the knives until all of the knives were done but even with your new arrival you diligently proceeded with your task at hand and there are a lot of happy campers out there.

Hopefully, you'll take up the mantel and along with Buck, maybe ramrod next year's knife.

Same boat except mine was Thursday and has not moved. Guess I'm still in the running for last o_O
Actually I Recieved my tracking Thursday also I was thinking it was Saturday when I posted because I was off Friday lol .
Mine still hasn’t hit the post office yet so yes you and I are in the race for last lol .
EDIT:
UPDATE :)
Mine is in route and due to arrive Monday or Tuesday !
Yippee :D
My guess is yours is probably in route also :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Personally, I would send that knife back.

Seems to me, it will only get worse with use.

I'm certain BUCK would happily fix your knife.

- Del

Got mine in. Been pondering it for a little while.
- Overall knife is slender and seems like a nice pocket rider.
- I really like the Elk, nice and thin, and matching thickness. The two sides aren't a perfect match, but no biggie, I like em both.
- There are several decent gaps in the springs, but I could live with that, not the only knife I have with gaps.
- Sheep blade is fairly centered, Clip leans way to the edge, almost touching the liner. Could live with that as well, probably, but seems related to the question below.

What I'm struggling with is it doesn't seem right at the end/pivot pins, and I'm wondering if that might cause any issues over time. There are significant gaps at both ends. The clip doesn't seem to be set straight, almost twisted, and pin is very visible to the center. The sheep is fairly straight, but pin is visible on both sides. In my mind this is not good fit and may cause loose blades over some time. Was looking for any input from some of you if this is a big deal or not.

Clip end:
ClipEnd1.jpg

ClipEnd2.jpg

Sheep end:
SheepEnd1.jpg

SheepEnd2.jpg

Appreciate any input if I should just accept this, or possibly send it back in to be reset or tightened up.

I received both of mine today. One is riding in a pocket right now. Couldn't be happier. Great F&F on the slabs. Tiny bit of light coming through the back springs. Very sharp out of the box. The one thing I was worried about was the walk and talk. Much better than I expected.
This BF knife will a user for sure. Love the blade combo.
Great job guys on this one.
Steve you are probably already thinking...
Orange G-10 covers or any other crazy colors would be great. If you get my drift.

Here's a couple that just landed in CT. I think the Knives look great - covers, hafting, blades (sharp!), all very nice. :thumbsup: Walk & talk is reasonably smooth, with one example a little tight on both blades when going full open...needs a little help, but seems to improve as I work it. Both knives snap close with the same audible report, so I believe the springs are fine, and that particular knife was likely assembled a tad tighter. Thanks skblades skblades and Buck! :cool:

20Gq3Qt.jpg

rQA6rex.jpg

Update to add; both knives operating smoothly after a bit of working in on the slightly tighter one. My brother stopped over, and now we each have one that we like. :thumbsup::cool:

Back