Forum Knife Updates and comments

Mine came today! No issues, it's a beauty.. May have to touch up the edge but I'm happy!
Thanks to everyone involved..
Y2Z5PGs.gif

U1OWuK1.jpg

Both of mine arrived last night. Both have some minor gaps in the springs, but I am extremely pleased with the design and am very satisfied with the production quality. I'ts a bit less than other knives I have received from the custom shop, but still good to go.

♦ The elk on each knife matches its mate on the other side. And the fit-up of the slabs is dead nuts. Nice thin slabs, too. Really nice job on that.
♦ the rivets are dead nuts set at exactly the correct height. None proud. None too low. That's not easy to pull off on a craggy surface. (One of the sets of elk covers is very craggy.)
♦ The pulls on both are 4-5 and all the blades have a nice snap when they close.
♦ Love the Paul Bos symbol. Paul Bos has been a legend in the blade industry for the quality of his heat treat protocols for decades. Paul Bos has retired, but he developed Buck's heat treat protocols and he taught the heat treating staff well.

I especially like that the sheepsfoot sits low in the knife. It's very comfortable when using the main blade. IMO, the blade shapes are perfect for this knife.

The knives were sharp out of the box, but I'm changing the edge angles to 15° per side. "♫...Diamonds are a reprofiler's best friend. ♫ "

I think these are going to put a crimp in my knife buying. I typically buy knives that I think would better suit my daily usage needs than the other knives I've got. Candidates are going to be a lot harder to find now.

SChvjRy.jpg

Kc8ZAuY.jpg

Just got mine today. Need to get some more/better pics (took this one for the Beer and Blades thread :D). Pretty happy with it overall. Has a little bit of gap, and the blades could have come sharper (first is ok, and second gripe is easily remedied on some stones). Great little knife! Thanks again SKBlades and everyone who made it happen. She's a beaut!

XcHFrL1.jpg

Update. Not one notice, but two. Expected Delivery Mon. Expected Delivery Tues. Now it looks like I’m out of the running for last. But seriously...Thank you to Stephen and Buck, not just for the project, but for putting up with all our Mishegas(technical term). May you all have a safe and happy Holiday.

Last edited:
Didn't win the stag lottery, as they say, but I'm pleased overall. Minimal gaps, great blade centering, and decent walk and talk. Now for the potassium permanganate.. Thank you to everyone who had a hand in bringing this year's forum knife to fruition!

O5B2gSC_d.jpg

I did darken it with Potassium Permanganate (KMnO4) and then polish the high spots with 600 and then 1000 grit sandpaper. Also, added a swedge to the sheepfoot blade.
Now, it's 'mine'.:)
Your knives look fantastic! What is the process to darken them with the Potassium Permanganate? Thanks, in advance, for answering a question from a newbie. I definitely don't want to ruin anything.:) BTW, the sledge on the Sheepsfoot blade looks very nice.
Larry

Update. Not one notice, but two. Expected Delivery Mon. Expected Delivery Tues. Now it looks like I’m out of the running for last. But seriously...Thank you to Stephen and Buck, not just for the project, but for putting up with all our Mishegas(technical term). May you all have a safe and happy Holiday.
LoL same here :)

I noticed that the pivot pins show different colour than the bolsters, are the pins made of steel? if so, that's most excellent as many traditional makers use nickel silver for the pins so it blends in with the bolsters better.
G2
I would guess that the pivot pins are made of stainless steel. I tried to test mine with a magnet, but there is to much other steel in the knife. I couldn't tell anything. I think we will have to have someone from Buck chime in to know for sure.

O.B.

I wonder if they mean the pins for the scales and don’t mention the pivot?
As you can see a difference between the pivot and bolster
G2

Looks like everyone got a decent knife. Some got typical smoother elk and some got extra dark. Some of my production elk 300's are almost white. (or yellow with age).
If you don't like your knife, it will be gladly looked at in the warranty shop, but I would highly recommend calling in before sending in. 300Bucks

I wonder if they mean the pins for the scales and don’t mention the pivot?
As you can see a difference between the pivot and bolster
G2

I think it's an optical illusion you're seeing Gary because the bolsters are not polished to the extent to hide the pivot pin. As a result, the pivot pin kind of jumps out at you as it's not hidden and surrounded by the larger bolster surface.

That's my take anyway.

Just arrived. No gaps worth noticing, no need for permanganate, blade thickness seems just about right to me (less chunky than my other 301, not as wicked thin as a good Case but nobody is, better than my Queens, maybe a tad thicker than a GEC), sharp enough for use out of the box. Pulls are good - harder than my 301, but not nail breakers.

Only issue is the the main clip blade needs follow through all the way to full open, so it's a little tight. Nice snap closing though. Almost exactly the same feeling as a GEC #12 I carry often. It'll probably work out with usage over time.

I got a really good example of the elk. Nice and dark, great texture, thin and well matched.

Back