Foster-Gregory Collaboration Presentation Tantos COOP PHOTO ADDED

Matthew Gregory

Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment
Me and Burt Foster, ABS Master Smith and Forged in Fire champion, have been good friends for many moons, and despite approaching how we work with VERY different methods, our early influences were quite similar. I can't even remember when we started talking about these, but the topic of the neo-Japanese/American kwaiken came up, and how they formed a strong part of our early knife passions. This led to the idea of making a couple for ourselves - you know, for kicks.

Then it went from 5" blades to longer.

Somehow that turned into six of them.

Really, this is just about how ALL of our conversations happen. :p

I NEVER make that many of anything.

...someone wise once said 'never say never', and I guess here's proof. SIX of them, in fact!

2020021110413843--7035791284246402332-IMG_4600-X2.jpg

2020021110413843--7499096809492361890-IMG_4601-X2.jpg

2020021110413843-2872021424184239076-IMG_4602-X2.jpg

2020021110413843--723354135224539585-IMG_4603-X2.jpg

2020021110413843-7289186203547488510-IMG_4604-X2.jpg

The 1/4" thick, 9-1/2" long blades are forged laminated steel consisting of an 80CrV2 core with 410 stainless cladding. The handles have tapered tangs, and have been bolstered with a lightweight, slightly soft and contoured material under the black stingray skin and resin-soaked tsukaito.

Each blade is marked "One of Six" along the spine.

A gold "kirimon" or cherry blossom menuki is under the wrap on one side, where a stylized "F & G" touchmark is, along with the Kanji symbol for "blade". The presentation side features the "Foster-Gregory" mark.

A resin-soaked turk's head knot adds to the look of this classic style, and a heavily textured leather saya completes the package.

Overall length is 15".

Thanks for looking!

As I view this, everything in the components and build are subtle, yet talking LOUDLY.

Walk softly and carry a BIG stick. :cool:

Great work, VERY ^^^ cool presentation!

...just read the blurb Burt wrote for these on his website. I'm copying it here because it's classic Burt, and it's also a fantastic explanation of the project:

"I have only done a handful of collaborations with other knifemakers over the years, because without a common vision at the outset the finished piece can lack the continuity it needs. But Matt Gregory (mgregoryknives.com) has been a good friend for many years and this Presentation Tanto project was the result of a lot of back and forth to come up with the UKFT (Unified Knife Field Theory - the theory of everything about these knives), and we were both very happy with the outcome. This unique project is being offered as six essentially identical pieces, not to be repeated.

Disclaimer: I'm not Japanese, therefore any claim that these blades are traditional is nonsense, but we wanted to incorporate the essence and the spirit of tradition while being free to add our own spin in the design.

The Tanto blade, often seen in the west as a small tactical blade with a harshly chisel pointed blade is contrary to the spirit of the much longer, sword-shaped blade carried as a tertiary weapon by the Samurai and most darkly known as the blade used for seppuku (ritual suicide) by the dishonored warrior. (Not a recommended use. Any use of these blades for suicide, ritual or otherwise will void its warranty and will guarantee that we can no longer be friends).

The blades are my Laminated Steel (410 stainless / 80CRV2 core), forged in such a way as to give a rearward slant to the lamination line - reminiscent of a style seen on blades of one of the great American bladesmiths ever, Don Fogg. The blades are 9" from tip to handle."

You won’t! We decided we’d use one as a collective representation of all six. One of them is on the way to be professionally photographed... ;)

I will admit, though, having all of them lined up before I sent them back to Burt for leather made for a REALLY cool lineup.

The knife is incredible, not a surprise given the two who created it. Props need to be given for the sheath too.... I really dig it!

Back