Found a 498 Marine Combat Knife Modified available!

When getting probably my last RD6 on KC, I also saw a 498 Marine Combat Knife Modified with tan leather handle for around 45 bucks so I picked it up besides the RD6 I was getting before they all go bye bye.

I guess its like the Walmart 498 Pilot Survival Knife Modified version. No sharpened swedge, and no fuller, to liberalanas' a vile evil "BLOOD GROOVE!". It will be nice to carry this one around as its about half the price of a KA-BAR 1211, a "Beater" knife I use a bit as a field utility knife. From a time line I might guess its a 1095 steel blade. Even if its 1075, the 7" blade will be Fine. As OKC does know its heat treats, sure they goof up once, yep they did a bad heat treat on ONE of my knives over the years. But that was only 1!

I was mainly getting an RD6 to keep my current numbers current. As I did use to give them out to relatives who I figured might need one. Several did their duty when needed, besides the cooking stick maker for a camp fire.

Nice one, I considered getting one but I have the 'regular' all black 498 already and a few KA BARs.
Are you going to Sno-Seal the leather handle?

Hmmmm I'll have to look in to that. This one is going to be an out side knife. My one other leather stack is my 498 pilot's knife with a swedge I can't take out side as it has a sharpened swedge. That one has a well used handle now as I use it to open things at my place. Guess I'll look for a sealing system.

nice. great version.. reminds me of the case one, sort of, but far better price. i think ontario makes for case, but i could be wrong?

I grabbed couple of those when they went on sale.

is it wrong I prefer them visually to the standard 498? :D

i havent put one to use yet, I'm still playing with the 498 standard i got.

Back