Found BK2 Full Flat Grind Prototype

Would you like to see Kabar make a FFG BK2?

• Yes

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
qV4XEKM.jpg
While helping Ethan pack up his things, one of the workers found a box of "old knives and stuff" in the attic of his shop. He asked me to go see what it was. I found a bunch of partial ground and other blade shaped objects that he had been messing with many years ago. When I showed him what it was he said that I could take it and do what I wanted. This was the one I claimed for myself. (More to come on what to do with the rest. I'm thinking of setting up some old school Moose type challenges and give them away as the prizes)
So back to this. It is a full flat ground Blackjack (assuming due to the shape of the butt of the tang). I had to do a lot of cleaning on the rust but it came out very nice. I really like the feel and prefer it to how the current BK2/22 that I have.
I pictured it with a Blackjack and BK22 version that I have. Let me know what you think. Would you like to see a FFG BK2???
9I04Jvh.jpg

I've always wanted to see a ffg BK2 in thinner stock.

Yes. Then it might actually cut stuff. :D

I agree 1000%.

When I got my BK2 in my hands, the first thing I thought was how to use the thing. It’s a short wedge. But the blade profile screams to be used with much thinner blade stock. In fact I think the profile is one of the best looking designs out of all the big Beckers.

It would absolutely work better the length of the BK9, or thinned like a tweener.

As it sits now, I have never even bothered to use it.

I agree 1000%.

When I got my BK2 in my hands, the first thing I thought was how to use the thing. It’s a short wedge. But the blade profile screams to be used with much thinner blade stock. In fact I think the profile is one of the best looking designs out of all the big Beckers.

It would absolutely work better the length of the BK9, or thinned like a tweener.

As it sits now, I have never even bothered to use it.

Yep. Only thing a stock BK2 excels at is being indestructible. They’re not good at anything really - too thick to cut well, too short to chop.

If the things were exactly as is but 1/8” stock I’d be all over it. Full flat ground I think they’d be alright even at the fat thickness, but I wish they’d go thinner.

Can’t complain how my 2 cuts or chops for a short blade :) in fact it actually does pretty darn well :thumbsup::thumbsup: Wish KABAR would make it 8” long :D

Thinner stock for sure that is why I prefer my BK-10. I would like to see the BK-10 in full flat grind but to be honest my BK 10 is special to me and nothing is going to replace it.

T'would make a good bayonet blank I reckon, the 2. No time to prototype though.

The bK2 does just fine at small stuff. Just needs a little work on the edge.
View attachment 1447760
A little work on the EDGE is the MAGIC BUTTON to most Production Knives :thumbsup::thumbsup: some more then others of course and even though you have two of the same model doesn't mean the edge will preform the same until the edge gets the TLC that they don't come with :D unless you just happen to have got lucky :rolleyes:

Last edited:
As stated before, want a whimpie....er thinner stock, get a BK-10. If the BK2 had an FFG I never would of gotten in to Beckers I think. My BK2s cut fine enough, to me they are a jack of all trades knife. Not a specialized do one thing super nice niche boutique knife. My fine slicing is done with folder or light belt rider like a Mk.1 knife. (If your niece don't steal it for Beer...er DEER season that is.) BK2 makes a great Froe. Well you could call it a Bactitonner for Tyrannical Botanicals that you baton with, but I'm lazy and called it a Froe for Froing things in the woods made of wood. Other knives have their uses like the smaller tweeners for finer slicing and dicing, if you want some thing more multi-toolier find a BK4 if not use a BK9.

As stated before, want a whimpie....er thinner stock, get a BK-10. If the BK2 had an FFG I never would of gotten in to Beckers I think. My BK2s cut fine enough, to me they are a jack of all trades knife. Not a specialized do one thing super nice niche boutique knife. My fine slicing is done with folder or light belt rider like a Mk.1 knife. (If your niece don't steal it for Beer...er DEER season that is.) BK2 makes a great Froe. Well you could call it a Bactitonner for Tyrannical Botanicals that you baton with, but I'm lazy and called it a Froe for Froing things in the woods made of wood. Other knives have their uses like the smaller tweeners for finer slicing and dicing, if you want some thing more multi-toolier find a BK4 if not use a BK9.
That is why Becker makes more than one knife . A BK-2 3/16ths thick with a full flat grind would be my preference. My favorite Becker was gifted to me by a fellow member. BK-10 with the thumb ramp removed and the clip point rounded it is a Camillus blank that Kabar finished .

That is why Becker makes more than one knife . A BK-2 3/16ths thick with a full flat grind would be my preference. My favorite Becker was gifted to me by a fellow member. BK-10 with the thumb ramp removed and the clip point rounded it is a Camillus blank that Kabar finished .

Yeah been thinking of having a thumb ramp removed on one of my 3 BK9s. I won't do it myself as I'm smart enough not to trust my skills to do it. No thumb Ramp BK10 or BK7, I'd be all over that as well. The thick 1/4" spine with no thumb ramp was the reason why I got the BK2, heavy duty multi-tool where other knives would fail from what it can do.

Back