Found KA BAR

Hey folks, I found similar one but in better shape, is it WW2 too?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/f8zFW9cWKkN8jVZdA

Xfox, yours is a WW2 vintage 1219C2. Same vintage as hovercopter's - made after the change orders to curved guards AND thin (1/4") pinned pommels, but before the final change order to move the stamps to the guards.

Yours is in better shape than his, but obviously needs handle repair to be usable. Leather disk sets are available from Kabar. Under $10 the last time I ordered a couple of sets. You would need to clean up and reuse your pommel and acquire a pommel pin lone enough to go all the way through the pommel., since replacement pommels that available as repair items are all the modern style - thick (3/8") blind pinned pommels.

Determining if a KABAR brand 1219C2 or USN-MK2 is WW2 vintage or a post 1976 reproduction, KABAR has made it extremely easy to figure it out.

There are TWO paths to determining vintage.

The first, and to me, the easiest way is to look at the stamps and their locations. If the stamps are on the guard - WW2.
If they are on the ricasso, a narrow legged font that is shallow-stamped is WW2. Wide legged, deeply stamped marks indicate post-1976.

The second way is to look at the pommel.

If it is thin (1/4" thick) and the pin is visible from both sides, it is WW2 vintage.

If the pommel is thick AND pinned, it is post-1976*. NO WW2 1219C2 or USN-MK2 was ever made using a thick (3/8") pommel attached with a pin.

ALL WW2 era thick pommel 1219C2/USN-MK2 knives have PEENED pommels - the knife was constructed with the tang protruding slightly through the butt end of the pommel and then was peened tight.

*IF you encounter a thick pinned pommel 1219C2/USN-MK2 with either the thin shallow font OR a stamped guard, someone rehandled/repommeled it with a modern replacement parts kit from KABAR. I have an RCC guard stamped one that I rehandled like that somewhere. When I bought it, there was a blade, the guard and 3 really brittle, crumbling leather discs.

Kabar used thick, blind-pinned pommels AND a different font/size/depth for the USMC and USN stamps so that no one could "manufacture" WW2 knives out of the reproductions.

Hey, thank you for reply and information! Very useful info!
One more question How do you think does it make sense to replace only missing piece or all leather disks? Does it make any sense to keep it original as much as possible?
Old handle looks solid

If you want to keep it as a display only piece, you could leave it as is with some kind of spacers wedge in or cordage wrapped in the gap. I've seen both done.

However, from my experience, if you try to remove the pieces of the existing handle, they will crack and crumble on you, leaving you with a mess and full replacement anyway. Doesn't happen every time, but often enough that you should plan on it happening. Remember, we are discussing 79 year old leather that has been rode hard and put away wet.

they don't sell partial kits any way so you'll have a full set of discs if/when they crack.

Yeah, you're probably right, chances to remove old leather without damaging it are minimal, so in worst case full replacement.
How about blade? How to restore black color? I've seen somewhere folks are using some engine black paint?

The original blades were not black. They were parkerized, which left the blade a greenish-dark grey (to my eyeballs), magnesium phosphate based protective coating on the blades. Would have been done prior to final assembly and sharpening.

Parkerizing will wear off over time, but a whole lot slower than any type of black paint will wear/chip off when used.

Thank you for info/advice, so old handle was partially removed but some of rings were really bad, so I decided to go with new. Blade was cleaned, and parkerized, new handle installed (only leather and plastic)
Here is photo:
znVvyNDsc_26JduLaYmyWJ5YC3uz7fCr8I97_b-VOLwuYke-ypdYXaah3Mba1KrCnmLLpTbuxTyWTkg6PklPyOFPeswoIFxl6nmfi-EE9AXKhHPJXS8IdguvGoMz0FclPiThsEfofc6tulmvWx5Dr0sGINrHX6s-w-qAccPjwlniFw81lPYmbN1I48d2o4Ja5AoVWeogybCs2rhopGAyvGPbQzkjAl8ohlgK-ngD6vev-8rygnitnjIk6TcrWo7l8naJTbRrNSD8_rltDzqAUvqb8icm70ERYvLJ8dDzHwzHIVGwsTfmXlhSWJx3voKefhUhGeE6TGob2d-QGgYsJk3ArrY8FI8dw1K9s-DJtyARm1-CLgpsKvlSzAT2y8PiQZCSwFPA3kUOnyqQCZ_FM235QweEGUoyjUJ1WCxRGBmOKbrBumkRkgVhQFQsUeGGMyfXhm-BZZ08CrY6Lg73Z4TuNdClf3v4BacjITNyf-fRyjZW8Lda8S4tuGo4b-6bADFILn6IRWVTl-SL2xYnmusFr7ynw3Dn9ZNz7DAPwMBpX84MWWv7ZIUbpmnM530_9lupdhhvLCshmjAlvS0AIVWqcmV4Meb_UupAEpB6FjFjnM1APklWD5Gg3jXAraNhtcNPGNxmto1fbYMjskTJa-2lYmYpS2Jv_VGUhu9inqFt6hsPWxUPDsr9nsja8-spG4Iz9Qxw4Ky4eujoxf0=w1819-h425-no

Will post one more after I'll re-shape and finish handle

I used a carpenters hand held belt sander and sanding drums on a drill press to shape mine. Good luck and have fun. Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Back