Found Old Shotgun In Attic

I was digging through the attic earlier moving some old boxes around and I came across an old 12 gauge shotgun (Revelation Model 300F). It still cycles just fine, but it does have a slight bit of rust on it, but not a lot. Now the question is, what do I do with this thing? Should I try to restore it so that it's usable or just leave it alone. The next issue is trying to figure out who the heck this thing is registered to (assuming it even is) as no one in the family has any idea or claims it as theirs. Anyone know anything about these shotguns?

3Vuwhtu.jpg

AXOmkAq.jpg

vgiaVb8.jpg

YUUbp9d.jpg

3MF4qlb.jpg

Last edited:
Revelation was an in-house brand sold by the old Western Auto store chain. They were made by Mossberg I think. Good utility guns, get some 0000 steel wool and clean it up with gun oil. Squirt some into the action. Swab out the bore well with a rag on a dowell rod and you will be good to go. One can always use another shotgun for a behind-the door kitchen gun. You don't sound familiar with guns, but I doubt that in North Carolina that it has to be "registered." Unless you happen to live in jurisdiction/city that requires such. Handguns, maybe, shot guns, No. If the house is not your property, by all means mention it to the landlord, he will probably say "keep it, someone left it behind"..or he might say, "So that's where that went to!"

You don't sound familiar with guns, but I doubt that in North Carolina that it has to be "registered."

Not terribly familiar with the legal side of things no and for sure not restoring them. Only other firearm in the house is a Ruger LCP that's had at least 1,500 rounds through it, maybe more. We bought this place years ago from the original owner (an older woman that was at least 80), so its hard to say where this shotgun came from. Some of the stuff in the attic was left here when we bought the house.

Last edited:
Personally I would clean it up, get the rust off, oil it and get it ready to go. If it was abandoned in the house when you bought it, it is yours. You can get a Hoppe's shotgun cleaning kit at your local sporting good store and it will have everything you need to clean it up and maintain it, with the exception of rust removal.

These weren't expensive guns to begin with, but were solid firearms. Doesn't look to be in bad shape (take a look down the bore to see!). If it isn't broken in some way yet to be determined, you can probably get a lot of use out of it.

As far as registration goes, it has been so long since Western Auto sold guns I would bet it was never registered as it probably wasn't required.

From the 'net:

Sometime in the 1940s or 1950s, or possibly earlier,[vague] Western Auto started selling rifles and shotguns in its catalogues. As with other chains at the time, such as Sears, Roebuck and Co., Montgomery Ward and J.C. Penney, Western Auto's firearms were sold under a proprietary brand. Often called "store brand" firearms, they were firearms produced by reputable name brand manufacturers, such as O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Remington Arms, Savage Arms, Winchester Repeating Arms Company and High Standard Manufacturing Company. Western Auto firearms sold under the "Revelation" brand name, and were generally models from the brands Savage, Marlin Firearms, or Mossberg.

Other than markings, Revelation models were identical to standard production models. They were the most basic models produced by the various manufacturers, and featured plain birch or walnut stocks. However, metal bluing remained good and nearly all models were provided with iron sights and mounting provisions for scopes. Once valued lower than "name brand" equivalents, store-brand rifles, shotguns and revolvers have essentially reached price parity with their more universal counterparts. Firearms were one of many lines added to the store in a product diversification effort. By the end of the 1950s Western Auto was very much like a Sears store, even equipped with a catalog order center. Auto parts comprised only a small percentage of the company's sales by the mid-1960s and had all but disappeared by the 1970s.

I can't remember for sure, but I think Western Auto quit selling firearms in the 70s.

Robert

I wouldn't "restore" it, but I would try to peserve it. Remove the rust, oil it up, have a smith check it for safety. I healthy dose of gun oil and a gun cloth. Even if you never fire a round through the thing nothing is scarier than the sound of a shotgun racking in the dark!

-Xander

Yea, it's not nothing I really intend to use. More just something that I want to get to where it won't degrade further. Might end up running a few shells through it now and then just because once I'm 100% sure it's safe to do so.

That's were it is, I have been looking for it for a long time. Just box it up and send it to me. Nah, but that is neat to find it. It does make you wonder the details of who put it there and why they never took it with them. Mystery material....maybe someone who lived there stole it years ago and stashed it there then just decided to walk away. Or they used it in a crime and needed to let it lay low.

That's were it is, I have been looking for it for a long time. Just box it up and send it to me. Nah, but that is neat to find it. It does make you wonder the details of who put it there and why they never took it with them. Mystery material....maybe someone who lived there stole it years ago and stashed it there then just decided to walk away. Or they used it in a crime and needed to let it lay low.

:D My guess is it belonged to the lady's husband before he died that we bought the house from and she just forgot it was up there. She has since passed on as well.

:D My guess is it belonged to the lady's husband before he died that we bought the house from and she just forgot it was up there. She has since passed on as well.

Two of my current firearms were gifted to me by extended family because after helping them go through their things, I cleaned up over half a dozen firearms. A well-maintained firearm can survive years without any significant rust, but I spent a great deal of time on a neglected bolt action shotgun and a cheap single shot .410 and semi-automatic .22. It was worth it though, it was a lot of fun saving those poor things.

It's no wonder they never took the Ithaca apart either. Took me forever to figure it out, and being as carefully I was I still scratched the tube a little. Worth the maintenance though, a bottom-feeding bottom-ejecting light-weight 16-gauge is a fascinating toy.

Find a reputable psychic and contact the husband via Ouija board.

Freebies are great! Especially firearm freebies. Buddy o' mine found a pump action mossberg .410 in a dumpster when we were in high school. You're about 45min from me. Knowing the area, there's no tellin' how long that shotgun's been up there. Enjoy your new old friend! As stated by others, clean it up, don't break a sweat on it, as it probably ain't worth a restoration, but it's a mighty fine home protection device.

Yea, already started getting it cleaned up. Any suggestions for the wood? Murphy's soap oil?

For the wood- mineral spirits will take the gunk and dirt off and whatever furniture polish you have on hand will be fine for it. As someone else said 0000 steel wool will take off light rust without damaging the bluing. If you run into heavier spots that the 0000 won't handle, take a pencil to it. Just scribble the rust and it will flake off most of the time. I've found mechanical pencils to work best for this.

Ps- according to the Numrich cross reference your shotgun is a Savage Model 30.

Back