fountain pen recommendations

Wildcat

Gold Member
any recommendations for a good fountain pen under $100? do they come in fine tip?
i was given a pilot varsity medium tip last week. i like it except the medium tip seems really thick. also looking to upgrade a bit.

I only have one, a Parker Jotter medium tip fountain pen that I got for super cheap when the local office supply store closed. I really like ink cartridges and feel of the pen, and I know they have fine nib options. I don't think you can go wrong with a Parker, and there's tons of options out there from $15 all the way up through $100+

Parker has a program where you can exchange the nib for any style, so if you find a pen you like that doesn't have a fine nib, you can just send it in to get whatever size you want.

Pilot makes some pretty nice stuff under $100, but for the money, I'd still recommend a Lamy Safari or AlStar if you don't already have one. The Pilot Metropolitan is another good option for the money.

For just a little over $100, look at the MonteVerde Invincia Deluxe. I have the carbon fiber / black one and really enjoy it. Nib options from extra fine through calligraphy broad. The standard Invincia is less than $100, but doesn't use as nice of materials.

If you are OK doing KickStarter, there's a really slick-looking Ti or Al pen being backed at the moment, called the Stilform Ink. The campaign is over now, but you can still pre-order one. Delivery will likely be early next summer. Definitely the best pen option under $100 right now if you ask me. They're using Peter Bock nibs, you get a silver steel one included for the price of the pen, or you can upgrade to several other nib options. I have multiple coming, in both metals.

If you haven't already, look at Goulet pens. Tons to choose from on their site, awesome reviews and helpful tips, and they have excellent customer service if you ever need it.

I have had a Waterman Hemisphere fine tip for several years and am quite happy with it. Can be had for about $45.

I have an excellent Lamy Studio which I used for many years. I'm currently using a Namisu Orion which I'm enjoying a lot. Both well within your budget.

Last edited:
Please don't take this the wrong way. I like Namiki Emperor. Especially the "Rabbit in Moonlight". As far as anything reasonable. I feel that Pelikan is very good. There are two things I would try to get. An 18Kt nib and Piston fill. I hate cartridge/converter.

I lean towards Fisher Space and Parker pens. Great pens for the money.

I've been wanting to get a Fisher Space Pen but every time I think about it, I'm broke.

We're talking fountain pens in this here thread boys. ;) Start a new one if you want to talk others. (Not that I'm knocking them, I have a few myself, but that's not the topic here.)

Please don't take this the wrong way. I like Namiki Emperor. Especially the "Rabbit in Moonlight".

Oh please, come on! o_O How do you not take that the wrong way! :rolleyes: He asks for recommendations under $100, and you mention something that retails for between $2,000 - $15,000+??? Do you even have one?

Even the Pelikan recommendation is outside of the request, especially with a 14k (or purer) gold nib.

I swear, you only exists here to troll. :poop:

I messed up. I did not read any of this. My bad. I thought Y'all were just discussing them. I have one but I paid way on the low end. Plus a lot of Pelikan Cities and Places. Not bragging. You asked. I do apologize to the OP and everyone. Indeed I would be offended. I was not trolling. I made a stupid mistake. I think Pelikan actually does make a decent one under $100. It is not fancy but it is Pelikan quality. If they still make it. Otherwise a clean used Pelikan 250 is under $100 all day long. I would rather go for the quality. Nonetheless I am very sorry about what I did.

Edit: I just wanted to add full transparency. Since I have been called a Troll.
I purchased the Namiki new on a trip to Japan. That city did not even have tax. I forgot to declare it on the way home. It was not exactly expensive. More than $100.

The Pelikan Cities and Places are outstanding pens. Once they were discontinued Levengers took it upon themselves to sell these $800 pens for a mere $180 each. Sealed in box. I kid you not. I would purchase one each time I got paid. As they were across from my job.

I am no rich Man. I have some very nice things. I have a knack for finding deals. It is more or less a waiting game. It is not Amazon get it Today. Not by a long shot. I keep my eye on something and hope that something occurs. Often it does not. Once in a while I score. I certainly do not have Thousands or more Dollars to spend on luxury goods. I have told the truth now. I hope that everyone can except that.

If the OP is in no hurry and is willing to do the same. They may end up with much more than a $100 pen for their $100. Otherwise the suggestions contained herein cover the gamut. Once again I apologize for not reading the content of the thread before commenting on it.

Last edited:
anyone have experience with kaweco? the aluminum sport looks nice.

anyone have experience with kaweco? the aluminum sport looks nice.
Decent pens (so are the plastic ones), but a bit overpriced in my opinion (moreso than most fountain pens). At some point, I'll probably buy a red Al Sport.

My buddy has a stainless steel one, a bit nicer. But also a bit more expensive.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I like Namiki Emperor. Especially the "Rabbit in Moonlight". As far as anything reasonable. I feel that Pelikan is very good. There are two things I would try to get. An 18Kt nib and Piston fill. I hate cartridge/converter.

i second the features noted above - gold nib and piston fill is the way to go! The flex and smoothness of the nib is really important, and steel nibs scrape more than gold does...gold makes for a much more pleasurable writing experience, imo.

Unfortunately, the golden nibs obviously push up the price, but you can find something like a Sheaffer "snorkel" piston fill on ebay used. I have one and it's a nice pen for cheap...i think i paid $60ish.

Alternatively, the Pilot Vanishing Point is a great fountain pen with a retractable gold nib and comes with a piston adapter and also capable of disposable refills... I see these going for $150ish online...Vanishing Point Fountain: Pilot Pen

Last edited:
My daughter thinks highly of the Platinum Plaisir or Safari for the money, she has a huge collection of several hundred pens . I never even knew pen collecting was a thing . I carry Pilots from the dollar store. :)
49269.jpg

E5C6lSa.jpg

btP39ai.jpg

187178.jpg

Last edited:
How about a Ohto Dude?
All-metal pen with hexagonal aluminium barrel, stainless steel pocket clip. The nib is steel and quite good. Only available in medium, but mine feels more like a fine one (Japan medium is almost a "fine+" size, in my experience).
Did I mention it was cheap? Less than 20 euros here in EU.

F___

Back