• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Four, 6" Kitchen Utility Vegetable Knives, SOLD

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
6" Vegetable Knife $150. There are four available in this sale. You will receive a different knife than the one in the picture.

Please read the description and understand this knife before buying one. It is not a general purpose knife for everyone.

This is an affordable, no frills, single bevel vegetable knife pattern designed for food release on sticky foods like potatoes and carrots etc. It is intended to leave a neat manageable stack of food. It can also be used to slice fish and other delicate foods that need an extremely sharp fine edge.

The "grind" is scalloped and is a tall thin parabola that is a conventional flat grind at the bottom that develops increasing curvature as it approaches the top of the grind. This kicks food off and reduces the adhesion that causes slices of food to march up and go over the top of the blade. See video. This is a single bevel hollow ground kitchen knife whose geometry is similar to a one sided straight razor. The geometry is more extreme at the heel of the blade where you'll do most of your chopping and more conventional towards the tip for regular slicing with the point.

The final edge is applied by hand on oil stones. Being single bevel, the flat side is honed flat, or nearly flat, to the stone. I had to choose between keeping these pretty and getting them sharp and I chose to get them sharp. So these are new knives and the flat side bevel will have some minor scuffs from sharpening.

It is for right handed use. If you're left handed you will be better served with something else.

The steel is AEB-L at HRC 61-62. This is a clean, fine grained, stainless steel with a relatively low chromium content and no carbide so it behaves very much like a simple carbon steel. These went into full cryo as part of the quench which, in this steel, eliminates structures that cause issues with fine edge stability in stainless.

The edge is thin enough to be flexed on your thumb nail. It should not be used on bone or against glass or ceramic cutting boards.

The handle is two part construction hidden tang. In addition to the visible cutlery rivets there are internal "epoxy rivets" and a hidden metal pin. The blade/ferrule/handle transition is sealed with Acraglas resin. The ferrule is internally knurled and bonded to the G10 scales, it will not come loose over time.

There is no maker's mark. I normally mill my signature into the blade, but I left it off for food hygiene because it's relatively deep.

The knife is made of NSF 61 compliant materials and is suitable for use in a commercial kitchen. And though I don't recommend it, the materials and construction will survive a trip though the dishwasher.

The knife balances on the ferrule.

Vegetable Knife specs:
1/8" AEB-L tested HRC 61-62
Total length 11"
Blade length 6"
Weight 6.7 oz
G10 handle
304 stainless ferrule

1.jpg~original

2.jpg~original

3.jpg~original

4.jpg~original

5.jpg~original

6.jpg~original

7.jpg~original

Video showing the difference between a conventional kitchen knife and a knife with this parabolic grind: [video=youtube;jJQD3_APGTc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJQD3_APGTc[/video]

These are “field grade”, “as machined” and stonewashed with a medium grit grind applied to the left side and a semi-polished edge. They are $150 plus $10 shipping in the USA.

These knives are unusual because they are machined. I do this in my shop on industrial CNC machine tools. A WIP thread documenting my technique can be found here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ad.php/1048443

I take paypal, cash, check or MO.

First come, first serve, posts in this thread

I want to thank everybody for your support and interest in our work and this pattern. :thumbup: This is probably going to be the last of these Potato Knives. It was fun and I enjoyed it, but I've made a ton of them over the last year and I'm getting burned out on the pattern so I'm moving on to something else for a while.

We're in a batch of Field Knives and the Light Chopper now and will start having some of those for sale starting next week with 5 Light Choppers. We're also cutting chips in a new small EDC Lorien collaboration with a thin 3" blade.

This morning Spark was kind enough to give us a subfourm here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/929-Carothers-Performance-Knives

Please come check us out.

The Blade Show in Atlanta was a big hit. We had a lot of fun and it was great meeting some of you folks. :thumbup:

Thanks again, I appreciate everything that you, the buyers, users and collectors, do for us.

Thanks for looking,
Nathan

Last edited:
and congratulations, Mr. Mod! BF trusts you and I do too. Thanks for the radical knives!

Glad you made it Mr. JF. Anyway, nice job and all gone.

Very eagerly looking forward to NTM's Field Knife soon :thumbup:

Money sent to where it always goes. 150 + 10 = 160 pp
Thanks Nathan and Jo. I could have used this knife the last two weekends preping veggies.

Back