Four of a kind.

Scott Hanson

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I had a customer reach out to me and request that I build four knives all the same, one for him and one for each go his 3 sons. He really liked the the last knife I made for Mack with the Randall model #27 handle spacer pattern, that's what we decided on. I also have my new Scagel kris stamp from Buckeye engraving that I'm trying out, which I think I really like. He didn't want a crown and elected for rounds in stag or elk, generally i think stag is a little nicer but I think between the elk thatI have compared to the stag have on hand I think the elk may be a bit nicer only because it has a slight oval cross section verses a round cross section and it doesn't have a pith hole that needs to be covered or filled. Her are some photos for you.

Four, four inch drop points ready for heat treating then handle assembly.
IMG_2487.jpeg IMG_2488.jpeg

The third photo shows the new Kris stamp.
IMG_2489.jpeg

Here are 4 pieces of stag for the handles. Although I may use Elk, truth of the matter is I think the elk I have is equal if not better the these four pieces of stag.
IMG_2490.jpeg

Here is side by side stag vs elk, the elk has a bit of an oval shape cross section where the stag is round, which is one of the reasons I like the elk.
IMG_2494.jpeg

And last the stag has a pith hole that needs to be plugged or filled.IMG_2492.jpega

Anyhow this is the model #27 spacer pattern. And the last photo is the last knife I made for Mack.ab0b00deadfd1ef266689dffb42f582d.jpgIMG_1978.jpeg

Scott, your work is a cut above.

Got back out to the shop today and made some progress on the set of four. I got the guards all slotted and fit last night and all of the spacers cut and fit. Just need to fit and drill the handles then get them off to the heat treater. The black line is about where I'm going to cut the handles to size to keep the tang to within 3/4" of an inch from the bottom and the red dots on the tangs are going to be where I drill the pin holes.A7FB74C2-7D7C-4A35-813F-49F8EA114D9F_1_201_a.jpeg

Four of a kind finished, but still a little rough and in need of a good buff. Oh, and still have to make the sheaths yet.
IMG_3186.jpeg

The customers and my solution to the pith holes in the end of the stag handles. I think I like the Eagle the best but the howling wolf is really cool to though.
IMG_3172.jpeg

Those are ridiculously cool.
I love them all but the wapiti is my favorite.

Those are ridiculously cool.
I love them all but the wapiti is my favorite.
Thanks Mack, they’re a bit rough yet they will clean up and look a little better.

Those are awesome Scott, that spacer layout really pops!

The Randall model 27 is one of my favorite Randall patterns. I've seen this pattern in maroon and in black also, the black is sharp looking, but I still think I'm partial to red.

A couple tweaks to the pith hole plugs and this could be a Game of Thrones set!

I have these Seven pins plus one more arrowhead pin that is all nickel silver with a black back ground. I have quite bit of stag like that now in all different sizes and I'm going to start making some of my own end caps with arrowheads down the road bit. I have a ton of orders to get caught up on first though.

108724367_276862336918780_1304796494857242634_n.jpeg
View attachment 1406367

The elk is by far my favorite of that bunch. They are all cool, though. Hmmmm, one of each would make for an interesting collection...
These four are for the same customer one for him and one for each of his three sons. He wanted a different handle pin in each one and he wanted it to be a surprise.

Back