FOURTH of JULY

Yangdu

[email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner
Moderator
Joined
Apr 5, 2005
Messages
8,168
7-03-06-1.JPG

7-03-06-2.JPG

7-03-06-3.JPG

7-03-06-4.JPG

7-03-06-5.JPG


HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY TO ONE AND ALL. I AM SO THANKFUL UNCLE BILL BROUGHT ME TO THIS WONDERFUL LAND , MARRIED ME AND HELPED ME BECOME A CITIZEN!!!! IN HONOR OF ALL THAT I AM OFFERING THE FOLLOWING KNIVES AND SWORD AT PRICES THAT UNCLE BILL WOULD APPROVE OF, AS WAS HIS POLICY, AND HOPE YOU WILL FIND SOMETHING TO SHOUT ABOUT TOO----AGAIN, HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY AND THANK YOU FOR BEING MY FRIENDS AS WELL AS MY CUSTOMERS.

L to r

Overall length 22 7/8 inch 28 ounce Uddha Sword by Vim Bhadur Kami. Bijayasal wood handle. Today only $135 YBB. *SOLD*

21 inch 24 ounce Foxy Folly by Sher. Beautiful chandan wood handle. All fittings are white metal. Good buy at $125 YBB. *SOLD*

16 1/4 inch 18 ounce villager WWII by Ram Bhadur. Horn handle. Yours for $85 YBB. *SOLD*

15 1/8 inch 16 ounce Hasiya by Sher. Carved satisal wood handle. Yours for $68 YBB.

15 inch 23 ounce villager BAS by Ram Bhadur. Sisau wood handle. Great camping Knife. $75 YBB. *SOLD*

10.5 inch 9 ounce Jure by Sher. Horn hanlde. For good horme $50 YBB. *SOLD*


22 inch 35 ounce Chitlangi by Sher. Bijayasal wood handle. Superb rig. $135 YBB. *SOLD*

9 inch 10 ounce R-9 by Yuvraj Kami. Satisal wood handle. $60 YBB. *SOLD*


8 inch 7 ounce R-6 Knife by Dil Bhadur kami. The handle is Montana elk antler scrimshawed on both side with Nepali flowers. $65 YBB. *SOLD*

10 inch 7 ounce Kumar Karda by Kumar. Carved satisal wood handle. $45 YBB. *SOLD*

7 3/8 inch 4 ounce R-3 by Dil Bhadur. Nepal deer antler handle. $40 YBB. *SOLD*


23 inch 44 ounce Bagh Bhairab by Sher. Rakta chandan wood handle. Awesome rig. $140 YBB. *SOLD*


Email to get any or all.
 

Nasty

Chief Cook & Bottle Wash
Joined
Nov 11, 2003
Messages
5,898
4th of July and I can't afford sparklers...
 
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
616
E-mail sent on the Foxy Folly...:eek:

Have more of these come out and I missed them or something?

Woo Hoo! I got it. I can't remember seeing one for sale at 21" before. I'll have to compare it to my older Foxy Fighter and see how they stack up.
 
Joined
Aug 4, 2002
Messages
58
Hello Yangdu!

Happy 4th!! I will be sending an email to purchase

Villager WWII By Ram @ $85-
Villager BAS by Ram @ $75-

I can be reached @ [email protected]

Thank you!:)

Blueline
 
Joined
Dec 27, 2005
Messages
1,068
That Bagh Bhairab is tempting me, very nice lot today.

Edit: I couldn't resist, email sent on the 23 inch 44 ounce Bagh Bhairab by Sher. Rakta chandan wood handle. Awesome rig. $140 YBB.
 
Joined
May 10, 2004
Messages
617
Isn't there a rule somewhere about letting everyone get their first foxy folly before someone gets two??? :) :(
DanR
 
Joined
Jan 22, 2004
Messages
756
WOW! There are some beautiful blades today. That Bagh Bhairab and the Foxy Folly are absolutely stunning.
 
Joined
Mar 22, 2002
Messages
15,742
There are nights like this where no one knows for sure if they got the blade they wanted.
All part of the big parade.



munk
 

Svashtar

Gold Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
4,785
Yangdu said:
HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY TO ONE AND ALL. I AM SO THANKFUL UNCLE BILL BROUGHT ME TO THIS WONDERFUL LAND , MARRIED ME AND HELPED ME BECOME A CITIZEN!!!! IN HONOR OF ALL THAT I AM OFFERING THE FOLLOWING KNIVES AND SWORD AT PRICES THAT UNCLE BILL WOULD APPROVE OF, AS WAS HIS POLICY, AND HOPE YOU WILL FIND SOMETHING TO SHOUT ABOUT TOO----AGAIN, HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY AND THANK YOU FOR BEING MY FRIENDS AS WELL AS MY CUSTOMERS.

Thank you as well Yangdu! That is a very nice sentiment. I think I can safely say we are all very glad you decided to come here with Uncle Bill as well and become an American citizen. The gain is all ours.

Norm
 

Svashtar

Gold Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
4,785
Skyler R. said:
That Bagh Bhairab is tempting me, very nice lot today.

Edit: I couldn't resist, email sent on the 23 inch 44 ounce Bagh Bhairab by Sher. Rakta chandan wood handle. Awesome rig. $140 YBB.

Very nice snag indeed! The first ones had slightly shorter handles and were no heavier than about 37 oz. This is a nice heavy one, and with chandan no less! I paid $45 more for the first one in horn and was well satisfied at that price. You got a great deal. :thumbup:

BTW, that Chitlangi is sweet! Haven't seen too many of those lately. I would have snagged that if I could. But you know I still have my favorite 21" 29 oz. chitlangi, satisal handle by Amtrak. It was my very first HI knife, and still hands down my favorite. I picked _exactly_ the right knife for my first, and based on that fell in love with these things. (Just think of the time and $ I would have saved had that first one been a dud! :D)

Norm
 

Svashtar

Gold Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
4,785
hollowdweller said:
Foxy Folly is real close to the orig specs right?

Original specs? You mean original original by Foxjaw? I wasn't around back then, and I know a lot of you guys were, but the originals were this exact length but approached 50 oz. Massive blades. I was able to track one down and get it from Spiral in the UK in 2004. The shipping just about killed me for a blade that heavy (49 oz. for this one.) I am good for about 3 chops with it. It is very beautiful and well made with a horn handle, and according to Spiral was 1 of about 15 made in the original batch. Mine is by Kumar.

When Yvsa brought the idea back in August '04, the Kamis came up with several variants before they got what we had all decided on, which was 17" and 24 oz. First they came up with a prototype pair in 2/05 by Sher that were the right length at 17" but were too heavy at 32 and 34 oz. Dan and Yvsa each got one of those and did respective reviews that month. The second try was in early April '05, when two came by Bura this time, that were each about 21.5" and about 28-29 oz., nicely balanced (by Bura), but were still considered to be too heavy and of course too long. ArchAngel and I got those. I was able to talk Dan out of his Sher prototype #1 later on.

After those weight misses, Yvsa or someone sent them 24 oz. in weights, and they then came up with a whole slew that were the size of this one offered today, 21" and just 24 oz. by Bura. Purely fighters so designated same. The first run of 10 of these came 6/5/05 and were offered by Yangdu. The blades are too thin IMO for heavy chopping, and based on the waves in my 17" 24 oz. by Bura must be a puredee beyotch to make. I did not get one because I had one just like it that was 4 oz. heavier as mentioned above. Reviews were very good, and they were considered to be very graceful fighters. Steve Ferguson, Nasty and several others reported favorably on them.

Insert: on 7/19/05 Yvsa posted pics of four 17" and 24 oz. models made with brass furniture and habaki bolsters. Two in white satisal, and two in Chandan. These were "non-traditional" but were well received and well made, as witnessed by an extreme test that Dave Rishar did on one of the Chandan models with excellent results. One or two more of these brass fitted / habaki ones came in on DOTD about this time, at least one as a blem with karam wood. On 8/10/05 Dan posted a review of one of these 4 in white satisal with brass/habaki, and it had a significantly longer handle than his 17" 34 oz. Sher prototype (I would say about an inch), and was much more comfortable. I believe that all future "to spec" knives had the shorter handle.

Finally, they came up with a bunch for the prepaid group buy ($150) that were to spec, that were 17" and 24 oz. The first two from that run were by Bura again, and were posted for sale by Dan Koster in a late night thread on 8/11/05. These were followed by 22 more on 9/6/05, all Chandan as far as I can recall (the pics are gone now) and then 17 more on 10/10/05. (I was kind of sick when I saw the great handle materials being offered in this run, not only Chandan, but Walnut, Neem, Rhododendren, and Kapur!, but I had mine already.) Some really pretty ones. This filled out the last of the regular prepaid order.

Somewhere in there, and Dan lists them as coming _before_ the final versions, but there were at least one or two at 17" and about 26-27 oz. I can't find any thread connected to them, so can only assume a couple of them must have come in on the daily deals. If I had to guess though, I would say they came _after_ as I was watching for this model pretty closely prior to the big 9/6 shipment. (I apologize for editing this post yet again, but I am an anal SOB.)

After much trial and error it has become kind of evident that 17" and 28 oz. or so would have probably been ideal.

On 1/17/05 Yangdu announced that future FF's would have a slightly slimmer handle and be about 28 oz., based on her observations of making the knife while in Nepal. I would love to get one of those in something other than chandan, but have only seen one or two regular FF's offered since her post, and don't think any of them came in at the new weight.

My favorite is one of the prototypes by Sher, that is 17" and 34 oz. It is just perfectly made and balances like a dream, but is probably a few oz. too heavy. Yvsa has its mate, but I believe his is a few oz. lighter, and IMO that would make it the most "perfect" Foxes Folly that has been made.

FYI, I also have one blade, that was not marked as a FF, that looks to be a variant by Sher. It is 16" and a fat 30 oz., horn handle, and looks to me to be an exact replica of the kukri being held by the round Gurkha soldier on the HI web site at left of sceen. You can click on the HI link at the top of the page to see it. He is holding it edge up. I call it a "fireplug" FF because although it appears to be indentical to a normal FF, it is 1" shorter and feels indestructible at close to 2 pounds. :D

Norm


P.S. From another thread, here's Dan's take on the flow:

First Foxy Folly was 22" and 3+ lbs. (15 original - nlm)

Next was the 17" and ~2 lbs. (2; -nlm)

Next was the 21" and 28 oz. (2; -nlm)

Next was the 21" and 21-25 oz. (24 oz. 10 on 6-5-5; -nlm)

Next was the 17" and 26 oz (? Unable to find. DOTD? Before final version, or after? -nlm)

Last was the 17" and 24 oz (4 brass/habaki 7-19-05; 2 chandan to spec on 8-11-05; 22 more chandan 9-5-05; final 17, mixed woods to fill out prepaid order on 10/10/05. - nlm)
___________________

Yangdu announces slimmer handle and weight change to 28 oz. on 1/17/06. Haven't seen any of these as of this date.
 
Joined
May 5, 1999
Messages
3,065
Norm,
Thanks for a truly great history of the Foxy's Folly! I saved that for my files for future reference.:thumbup:
Berk
 
Joined
Jul 30, 2004
Messages
3,829
Thanks x2 Norm for that FF rundown. I was wondering the answer...

and you get my vote again for record-keeper of models. :p I was just remembering that time one of your khuk cabinets collapsed and about wrecked your house!

If I saw the HI-logo khuk :eek: (or a run of them), well, great snag. Fireplug, eh?

Beautiful, beautiful stuff today and thanks for the sentiments, Yangdu!


Mike
 
Joined
May 18, 1999
Messages
15,393
Yup, Norm is spot on methinks.:thumbup:
The very first full sized one I got was defective with a soft spot right in the center of the sweet spot.
Another forumite knew my angst and offered me his so I traded a really nice YCS for it. He sent me his, another full sized model at 46 ounces and 20-1/8" OAL with a 4-7/16" handle measured from the top of the bevel to the butt cap.
After getting that model I decided I no longer needed my last full sized GRS and sold it.
The next model was the prototype for the 17" models we had requested. It came in at 17" with a 4-3/8" handle from the top of the bevel to the butt cap and a hefty 31 - 32 ounces depending how it's laid on the scale.
Then Heaven to Murgatroid I also got another FF that is 17-1/4" OAL with a fat handle 4-1/2" from the top of the bevel to the butt cap and comes in at a Lightweight 27 ounces!!!! :eek: And although the blade thickness at the bolster is a bit over 5/16" most of the blade thickness is a tad less than 1/4" thick at the spine!!!! :eek: And I'm willing to get rid of this one should anyone want it.;)

My favorite 17" Foxy Folly is one that I ordered and that Miss Yangdu gifted to me for all of my help over time.:thumbup: :D :cool:
It is spot on @ 16-15/16" OAL with a perfectly fitted handle in circumferance that is 4" long from the top of the angle on the bolster to the butt cap and weighs a perfect 26 - 27 ounces, again depending on how it's laid on the scale. Out of all my Foxy Folly's this one has the best balance of all.
I don't know what kind of wood the handle is but it looks a whole lot like American Black Walnut and has had a minimal amount of shrinkage, lots and lots of things about this one that contributes too it being my very favorite Foxy Folly!!!! :thumbup: :D :cool:
 

Svashtar

Gold Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
4,785
Berkley said:
Norm,
Thanks for a truly great history of the Foxy's Folly! I saved that for my files for future reference.:thumbup:
Berk

Thanks Berk! That is one model of great interest to a lot of people for sure.

Thanks to you and Mike for the kind words.

Norm
 

Svashtar

Gold Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
4,785
Yvsa said:
Yup, Norm is spot on methinks.:thumbup:
The very first full sized one I got was defective with a soft spot right in the center of the sweet spot.
Another forumite knew my angst and offered me his so I traded a really nice YCS for it. He sent me his, another full sized model at 46 ounces and 20-1/8" OAL with a 4-7/16" handle measured from the top of the bevel to the butt cap.
After getting that model I decided I no longer needed my last full sized GRS and sold it.
The next model was the prototype for the 17" models we had requested. It came in at 17" with a 4-3/8" handle from the top of the bevel to the butt cap and a hefty 31 - 32 ounces depending how it's laid on the scale.
Then Heaven to Murgatroid I also got another FF that is 17-1/4" OAL with a fat handle 4-1/2" from the top of the bevel to the butt cap and comes in at a Lightweight 27 ounces!!!! :eek: And although the blade thickness at the bolster is a bit over 5/16" most of the blade thickness is a tad less than 1/4" thick at the spine!!!! :eek: And I'm willing to get rid of this one should anyone want it.;)

My favorite 17" Foxy Folly is one that I ordered and that Miss Yangdu gifted to me for all of my help over time.:thumbup: :D :cool:
It is spot on @ 16-15/16" OAL with a perfectly fitted handle in circumferance that is 4" long from the top of the angle on the bolster to the butt cap and weighs a perfect 26 - 27 ounces, again depending on how it's laid on the scale. Out of all my Foxy Folly's this one has the best balance of all.
I don't know what kind of wood the handle is but it looks a whole lot like American Black Walnut and has had a minimal amount of shrinkage, lots and lots of things about this one that contributes too it being my very favorite Foxy Folly!!!! :thumbup: :D :cool:

Thanks for rounding this out Yvsa. Now I'm curious. Did that 17-1/4" FF at 27 oz. come from a DOTD? Or was it a prototype that I missed? Was it also chandan?

Thanks for any info. Your black walnut "perfect" FF sounds wonderful BTW!

Norm
 
Top