Fox 599 karambit review. Don't buy it. Here's why.

I posted this in Practical and general due to the dangerous findings I have discovered I feel that the more exposure the better in order to promote safety.

https://youtu.be/90qu2DOJNiI

pains me to do this review but as a responsible blade owner and martial arts practitioner I must alert you all to the danger that is the fox 599 Karambit and trainer, both of which are faulty, dangerous, defective, and priced at 150.00$ a piece. To make a long story short, the liner lock fails with light flailing strikes (meaning upon contact of a flail or downward 1oclock strike the blade will close in and cut your fingers badly of off of your hand.)

Everyone has heard of the spine test or "spine whacking" of liner locks, we'll with these two knives all I did was a tap with the force of a 1 year old and the liner lock failed, and yes I have these failures on video I will attach a link to the YouTube review as the file is too big for the forum.

I wanted these knives so bad, as I practice KALI daily and used the karambit for hooking practice. I noticed the lock failing in practice months ago but wrote it off, until late I tried the same strikes with my REAL 599 FOX KARAMBIT...

SUPER DISAPPOINTED WITH FOX.

Also theultimateknife.com tells me they have to talk to the owner to see what my options are when I have the knife less than a year and it's clearly under warranty and poses a serious danger due to defective knife making.

Please don't waste your time or money on these products, and ultimately don't jeopardize your safety because you fell for the "TACTICOOL" marketing like I did....

What a waste of 300$

Be safe out there!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Well I'm not interested in a Karambit but if I were to pick one, it would be an Emerson fixed Karambit or the Super Karambit.

Liner Lock Test FAQ
Authors: A.T. Barr and Joe Talmadge
http://www.foundcollection.com/15_ef4b1a22b8bb93e0_1.htm
so yeah, it's not advisable to use linerlocks for any
hastily applied form of dynamic physical activity,
without a corrective secondary locking system
as the Lake and Walker Knife Safety System (LAWKS)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sfm3TWB1hQ
Understandably folders disappear easily on a person.
But moving parts can and will fail at some point
when one least expects it.
a fixed blade may be cumbersome due to its length
but a single blade withdraw pull motion, and it's ready at an instant.
no fiddling with less fumbling.

Great choices

Roger that, I do believe there XT model Tanto has that feature and I think they added a 599 Karambit XT with that feature, but what mystifies me is that they haven't discontinued the last one. And being that it's being advertised and thought of as the most tactical folding EDC on the planet, I have to think that getting in a tactical fighting situation you're not going to have the time to deploy and set the lock LOL
Liner Lock Test FAQ

Liner Lock Test FAQ

The LAWKS system also failed I believe though, had to do with the Cold Steel lawsuit

I've owned two 599s and they're incredible knives. If you're standing in your living room "flailing" your karambit around and whacking things, yeah no shit the blades gonna close you're using it improperly.

Even as a defensive weapon you stab and slash with a karambit, not spin it around your finger and whack stuff around your house.

Learn to properly use a knife before creating public service announcements

I've owned two 599s and they're incredible knives. If you're standing in your living room "flailing" your karambit around and whacking things, yeah no shit the blades gonna close you're using it improperly.

Even as a defensive weapon you stab and slash with a karambit, not spin it around your finger and whack stuff around your house.

I am ex military and a level 4 Kali practitioner. The flailing of the blade was only done with the training blade and I did flail a couple of times for the first time ever with a real blade to demonstrate the defect in both 599 models, more alarming though is the one o'clock downward slash also buckles it. And the mere fact that they made the XT model that has the secondary lock that holds the liner lock in place is proof positive that the first model is defective and I suspect if they read their stock they will no longer sell the regular model.

But yeah the XT is cool, but the first version is shit....I'm making a comparison for you right now. Lol

I study marcaida kali?let. Pekiti tirsia. I study under a TUHAN, I can handle a knife just fine. Lol. Forget about the flail for a second a downward reverse grip slash or stab will also Buckle the liner lock andtake your fingers off.

Final thought about "Spine whacking a liner lock." My comments in comments in the video are not necessarily directed at you but more so for anyone that says liner Locks can't handle the spine whack.

No disrespect...The proof is in the pudding. I'm done. Please watch

https://youtu.be/VdTy6mfKTmQ

Failing the spine whack test is not unusual, even for customs. It can be fixed. If the knives originally had no problem, sometimes the frame needs tightening up. You may want to tighten everything down and see if it still fails. Send it in for repair, see if the company can fix it.

Although not a karambit, the Spyderco P'kal won't close on you due to the nature of the ball bearing lock.

Final thought about "Spine whacking a liner lock." My comments in comments in the video are not necessarily directed at you but more so for anyone that says liner Locks can't handle the spine whack.

I like this video ..............THANKS man :thumbup: Yes , proof is always in the pudding :rolleyes: To pay 300$ to cut my fingers :mad:

Hahahaha, I loved that video. That really is a $150 POS.

Great video mate! It'll save a few folks their fingers for sure!

Heh...I think I'll stick to my fixed blade karambit...

Get the Cold Steel Tiger Claw karambit instead. Has the world's strongest lock- the Triad Lock, and at a less expensive price

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

I have the fox 599 XT. FYI it's a lockback with the additional LAWK system. In fact, I have all of the Fox knives folding karambits. Not very confident in any of them in terms of possible lock failure in the advent of an accidental "spine whack" etc. That's why I have been carrying an Emerson combat karambit instead. It has a much "beefier" linerlock and blade. However, I recently bought the Brous Elite Enforcer karambit. It is an all titanium, framelock with a stainless steel insert. D2 blade. Its a "flipper''. Also, it has jimping on the back of the blade that makes the blade "wave" just as reliably as my Emerson. The cost is on the high end tho, $478.00. For me. I would rather spend the extra money rather than being called "stubby" if I had an accident using the other karambits .

I have the fox 599 XT. FYI it's a lockback with the additional LAWK system. In fact, I have all of the Fox knives folding karambits. Not very confident in any of them in terms of possible lock failure in the advent of an accidental "spine whack" etc. That's why I have been carrying an Emerson combat karambit instead. It has a much "beefier" linerlock and blade. However, I recently bought the Brous Elite Enforcer karambit. It is an all titanium, framelock with a stainless steel insert. D2 blade. Its a "flipper''. Also, it has jimping on the back of the blade that makes the blade "wave" just as reliably as my Emerson. The cost is on the high end tho, $478.00. For me. I would rather spend the extra money rather than being called "stubby" if I had an accident using the other karambits .
The XT is their "safe model"

I'll look into the others you've referenced. I just ordered a fixed blade Karambit made by SOG 40$, and the shrade fixed blade neck Karambit for 20$ which is amazing. I will likely get the United Cutlery Honshu Edition for $40 because it's cheap and I'll look into the Super Karambit by Emerson because everyone says that was amazing and it doesn't sound like you're having a lock issues comma I really love the way the XT looks but unfortunately due to the poor customer service provided to me by the ultimate knife.com, I will likely never do business with them again just because of how unhelpful and uninterested they were in their safety hazard. Can you post a couple of pictures of those nice karambits you've got I'd like to look at them

Great video mate! It'll save a few folks their fingers for sure!

Heh...I think I'll stick to my fixed blade karambit...
Lee. Fixed blade for sure. Glen I'll add the cold steel to the collection soon
Get the Cold Steel Tiger Claw karambit instead. Has the world's strongest lock- the Triad Lock, and at a less expensive price

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Back