Frame lock finishes

Frame lock finish

• Total voters
Hey everyone working on my first few frame locks, was wondering what the preferred finish is.
As always pics are heavily encouraged :cool:

I don't like framelocks. They look unfinished to me like the maker was too lazy or cheap to put a scale on the backside.
Rich

I like bead blasted like a CRK chalky finish or stonewashed the best on ti.

Anodization can be done on any Ti finish so really it shouldn’t be included in the list imho.

Anodization will come out different depending on what finish the Ti has.

Preferably bead blast handle with a stone wash or satin finish blade.

I'd also like to see a bronze anodized bead blast.

If the handle is tumbled I'd like it to be darkened or anodized .

Stonewash for me because it hides scratches and wear.

Bead blast is scratch magnet. Spyderco Ti Military and CRK come to mind (yeah - I know CRK offers free spa treatment that can remove those scratches).

Honestly, the finish is less important to me than the design - but, I would say either anodized or stonewashed.

I prefer framelocks that have interesting machining / inlays. The ZT 0560 is a good example. I also like designs that effectively hide the frame, like bolster locks and sub-frame-locks.

Im all the way beadblasted. I do like stonewashed too. I love the scratches that get on a well worn/used beadblast handle slab. Mmmhmmm!!
Thats not scratches!!! Its memories!!

I love a beadblast or scotchbrite, but I don't like how they wear, so I wind up preferring a stonewash out of practicality.

Cerakote makes some transparent coatings. I wonder how those would look on top of beadblast or scotchbrite. I've suggested it before, but never heard of anyone doing it. Maybe it could even protect a high-polish finish.

Im all the way beadblasted. I do like stonewashed too. I love the scratches that get on a well worn/used beadblast handle slab. Mmmhmmm!!
Thats not scratches!!! Its memories!!

You know!

ie6gkhT.jpg

3WOYD1Q.jpg

nP5Ahzn.jpg

I don’t like scotchbrite or satin Ti finish cause then it just looks like steel.

Honestly, the finish is less important to me than the design - but, I would say either anodized or stonewashed.

I prefer framelocks that have interesting machining / inlays. The ZT 0560 is a good example. I also like designs that effectively hide the frame, like bolster locks and sub-frame-locks.
I voted stonewashed but like you I appreciate other aspects to a ti handle than just the finish. The 3d of the 0560, the dimple pattern of the spyderco tuff, and the inlays of my large micarta 21 come to mind. Straight up ti is a bit boring for me, no matter the finish. My favorite plain ti finished framelocks have a what I believe is a stonewash (zt0452cf and 0562cf).

I like a good beadblast/sandblast finish for the traction it provides. The pocketwash it takes on over time is just icing on the cake. If you want it to look new again just reblast it.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
I probably won't due full ti frames i like having some sort of material on the show side. Thinking of going with bronze anodized stonewash finish with gold hardware.

Back