Fred Perrin Friction Folders Assistance sought

jbib

Basic Member
I have two Fred Perrin friction folders with the large eyelets. they appear to be self contained items (like I can't tighten or loosen). they are extremely tight so it really, in my case takes both hands to expose the blade. When I watch youtube I see individuals opening and closing them very easily, as I cannot. Can anyone give me advice that I could use to loosen the action up (I've already applied lubricant and it doesn't help). thanks for listening.

Hi jbib,
Isnt that kind of what you want in a friction folder? Friction so it doesnt open or closes by itsself.
I dont know the knife. So i dont know if it is peened or has a screw.
If its peened you can slack the blade. It can and will shift (sometimes more than others), the peened pivot so keep that in mind. On youtube is a video of 'Tony Bose slacking a blade'.
If its a screw that you cant ajust. Than i guess its meant this way...
Joseph

Are they using both hands as well? Looks like a 2 hand opening type of knife but I’ve never handled one. I’d work it open and closed a bunch of times, clean it with water and soap, then oil it with mineral oil or something.

Some people loosen pins/rivets on folders by applying pressure to the side of the blade while open. Not sure that I’d do that, but it could help if it’s simply riveted too tightly.

thank you very much I suspect you both are correct. But the only youtube that I've seen with the knife the guy was so fast I thought he was doing slight of hand or card tricks.

Back