Free dropping Sebenza question

When you relieve lockbar tension on your Sebenza 21 and the blade drops free, is it just the blade that drops, or does it bring the washers along with it? It appears to me like the CRK grease is acting almost like glue and it's keeping the washers attached to the blade as it drops. I was told that the washers should never move back and forth against the titanium but I'm not sure how else this would work.

The washers shouldn't move. One is fixed and can't move. The grease goes between the blade and washer. On pb knives there shouldn't be any grease between ti and washer. Though it's lube an will get in there eventually, keeping it dry when installing it in place will help them to not move. the one washer does well to not move overall. The blade is moving along the washers.

Last edited:
The washers shouldn't move. One is fixed and can't move. The grease goes between the blade and washer. On pb knives there shouldn't be any grease between ti and washer. Though it's lube an will get in there eventually. But the washers do well to not move. The blade is moving along the washers.
What keeps the washers fixed in place? They look like they're free spinning to me, though this only happens when I relieve lockbar tension.

What keeps the washers fixed in place? They look like they're free spinning to me, though this only happens when I relieve lockbar tension.
OH my bad, was thinking of the inkosi. Both washers on the inkosi are in place by the stop pin. Anyway, iirc the bushing in the sebenza helps them from moving.

OH my bad, was thinking of the inkosi. Both washers on the inkosi are in place by the stop pin. Anyway, iirc the bushing in the sebenza helps them from moving.
Ah yeah I like the inkosi washer design a lot more. I hear it can be smoother too. I'm not sure how the bushing keeps the washers in place, but I may be doing something wrong here.

How much grease are you using? Less is better. And only apply it on blade side.

Edit:
Turn closed captions on if you can't hear him

He adds a bit too much grease but its not that bad.

Last edited:
How much grease are you using? Less is better. And only apply it on blade side.
Yeah, that's what I'm doing. I apply an incredibly small amount. The washers don't usually rotate that much in normal use. Checking around the forum, some other Chris Reeve veteran says that all his washers rotate freely, so I guess that's just how things are.

The small washer does spin on my large 21 pj a bit, the big one I don't know. My ti is too smooth, what you gonna do. It doesn't affect it negatively, I don't think.

The only way I can tell is when it’s taken apart. The washer facing the Ti side will leave perforation (hole) marks. That tells me the washer is not moving.
The only thing that prevents the washer from spinning on the Ti side is friction. I’m guessing the inside of the slab is blasted also giving the Ti some grip ?
Maybe that’s why I’ve read that the carbon fiber Sebenzas have the washers spin on the cf side more than the full Ti slabs.

Back