French blades

So a friend of mine is getting married and his to be wife is french. Her intrest are blades. This made me think to give them a blade for their wedding gift. I would like the blade to be from her or his home country. Since my friend is from Finland and I think giving a puukko as a wedding present feels a bit off for me. I thought I will give them a french blade. It would need to be a long blade. It would need to be sword or a really big knife. The blade should be atleast 40cm(15.7''). I'm personally a knife guy myself so I'm not familiar with blades of this caliber.
I googled french swords and I just saw a lot of sabres.

My question is what kind of french blades would you reccomend.

Getting a sword for those who aren't sword people can be problematic. If you really want to give them a sword I would suggest something that might get some use, like one of the Fox Sommelier Champagne swords. These 2 are pretty enough to display. Fox is an Italian company, but you can find a Laguiole for about twice the price. I don't know of any bladeforums sponsors who sell them, thus:

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/FO...ned-blade-wooden-presentation-box-black-stand

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/FO...ned-blade-wooden-presentation-box-black-stand

Thanks for the help everyone. Just to be clear when I said that I want the blade to be from her home country I mean that the design is french but it doesn't need to be made in France

The chevalierdauvergne site will at least give you an idea of what French swords look(ed) like. More types than planets in the solar system and fewer types than the stars in the skies. You are asking for us to recommend a wedding present, so I would imagine you are thinking newly made vs relics.

Kult of Athena. Look at Universal Sword products or any listed in the early modern section under swords. Many US military swords were based on French models.

chevalierdauvergne will give you a better product than the India produced stuff

To be perfectly frank, I would never give a present of any blade (including kitchen cutlery) as a wedding present.

Cheers
GC

The chevalierdauvergne site will at least give you an idea of what French swords look(ed) like. More types than planets in the solar system and fewer types than the stars in the skies. You are asking for us to recommend a wedding present, so I would imagine you are thinking newly made vs relics.

Kult of Athena. Look at Universal Sword products or any listed in the early modern section under swords. Many US military swords were based on French models.

chevalierdauvergne will give you a better product than the India produced stuff

To be perfectly frank, I would never give a present of any blade (including kitchen cutlery) as a wedding present.

Cheers
GC

Why not? Someone once got one of my machetes as a wedding present, and it was used to cut the cake, lolz. :D

I don't think anybody but the French used the Colichemarde, a transition sword between rapier and small sword. And the small sword was the unofficial weapon of the French nobility, to the extent that some 30,000 noblemen (and a few women) died from dueling. The Cold Steel Colichemarde is easily available, it has a bit of flair as a gift, and I think "French" when I see one.

I don't think anybody but the French used the Colichemarde, a transition sword between rapier and small sword. And the small sword was the unofficial weapon of the French nobility, to the extent that some 30,000 noblemen (and a few women) died from dueling. The Cold Steel Colichemarde is easily available, it has a bit of flair as a gift, and I think "French" when I see one.

Great suggestion with the colichemarde, imo! Maybe there is a genuine old one available out there with an antique dealer.

Why not? Someone once got one of my machetes as a wedding present, and it was used to cut the cake, lolz. :D

Don't get me wrong, I have seen some couples happy with a husband's commissioned custom used for the ceremony and some couples might adore such an item but they can become a piece of property appreciated by one more than the other. Then, the superstitions of gifting blades. That is something I have seen as an issue more than once.

Blades/knives are common groomsmen gifts but they are providing a service (still the superstition tradition may apply for some). A groom shaking off old friends?

I have also read of visitors to forums looking for advice on a military like sword ceremony, with few of the group even having been in the military.

Cheers
GC

Some ladies love blades as much as their partners, others less interested in a large way.

Museum Replicas has a Musketeer Rapier, you don't get any more French than the Three Musketeers. I own one, it's a decently functional rapier and pretty to boot. You can find it on google. About two and a half bills. They've been in at least one movie as well.

Back