French regional knives...

Roger Orfèvre is a typical old way Thiers factory, whose catalogue is very vast (search for page 61 to see the traditionals folders). They are specialized in paperstone as handle material.
I don't know the Thiers, but they produce well made, sturdy knives, different of Cognet but not to the level of Chambriard (price included).
catalogues

Roger Orfèvre is a typical old way Thiers factory, whose catalogue is very vast (search for page 61 to see the traditionals folders). They are specialized in paperstone as handle material.
I don't know the Thiers, but they produce well made, sturdy knives, different of Cognet but not to the level of Chambriard (price included).
catalogues

Thank you for the answer...so you would say lower end of the Thiers knives?

Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery , Hey Coleman, judging by the very extensive catalog - mostly non knife products - without knowing anything more or factual, mind you - I'm inclined to believe that all their stuff is at best OK but nothing special. Too much diversity to favor high quality. My 2¢ and 1st impressions.

Ray

RayseM RayseM Ray! I didnt know you frequented these parts. :) I would be inclined to agree with you. Thank you for replying, and I wish you a Merry Christmas! Your 2 cents is always welcome. ;)

I wish everyone here a Merry Christmas as well.

Thank you for the answer...so you would say lower end of the Thiers knives?
I'd say they are mid-range, I never held one in real life.

Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery , Hey Coleman, judging by the very extensive catalog - mostly non knife products - without knowing anything more or factual, mind you - I'm inclined to believe that all their stuff is at best OK but nothing special. Too much diversity to favor high quality. My 2¢ and 1st impressions.

Ray
They don't produce the knives massively like the other stuff and probably not by the same persons. They have an interesting range and among the last to make some elder patterns. I guess they assemble to the order.
Better pictures here:
http://www.roger-orfevre.com/boutique/liste_produits.cfm?type=55&code_lg=lg_fr&num=151

I'd say they are mid-range, I never held one in real life.

Thanks Jolipapa,

Im not sure if Im willing to take the plunge to find out. I much more appreciate a well done knife. Hmmm...
Should I post a photo of the one i was looking at?

It is a beauty, but internet pictures can be deceiving. Also, handle variations in texture, color and shape can vary. This particular store has no storefront, and returns are supposed to be easy, but mixed reviews on that.
She sure looks good in the picture tho.

6349E6B4-3909-46B6-9834-955D64B890B3.jpeg
C7D0C189-304E-4864-890F-750E1B567550.jpeg 9E7187DE-0739-4D7A-8B6D-96D0A8945FF2.jpeg

Yes, can surely be a crap shoot buying from online stock with the specific knife not seen. :(

SO - I have asked on line vendors - 3 times from England and once from France if they would be so kind as to select a particular knife and send me a few photos for my approval. I describe the handle color or other detail that I prefer and ask them to show me the best option in their opinion. All responses to such request have been generous and unhesitating. This way I bought exactly the knife I wanted (or not). Worth the ask.

Yes, that Le Thiers is a pretty version. Good luck.

Ray

Last edited:
Thanks Jolipapa,

Im not sure if Im willing to take the plunge to find out. I much more appreciate a well done knife. Hmmm...
Should I post a photo of the one i was looking at?
Further infos. Our friend Bernard is quite defiant about RO, he's been running companies up and down and he sells now traditionnals because he's bought the company supplying most of assemblers.
Now, the parts he supplies are good and depending of the price you see the knife, it is -or not- a good deal. A Thiers like the one you show should sell between 50 and 100+ €uros depending of the level of finish, guillochage, length and handle material.
If you want to spend more, then better turn to other cutlers. I noticed that these days stag handles are quite rare.
(just an example) :
par défaut 1.jpg
(ps cms does not exist, it is just the goofy's way to write cm :rolleyes:)

Did as good a job on this as it did on my fingertip on Boxing Day.... :(

lO7ViJ9.jpg

About a month ago I came across this Homage to an earlier version of the Laguiole. I obsessed for over a month before acquiring it. Incredibly well made and smooth in its’ opening and closing. I love the blade shape. Very minimalist. Couldn’t be happier.

En Aubrac-Ancestral, hafted with Regional beech wood.
9490C1A2-C14B-4AE2-B533-FF16DCF7095D.jpeg

8C67143A-A886-467B-BD54-FB768A4486FB.jpeg

74EB284B-EEA8-4FBE-9FB3-4C477D6CCF99.jpeg

D0AD5003-1A48-4911-A76C-CF3CEE7DBC45.jpeg

F0E85526-D63D-429D-8BB8-298E1A15F384.jpeg

692EBB37-F2BE-4AF1-BB29-4BA6BE757780.jpeg

Last edited:
Back