French regional knives...

These were plain hunters knives (couteau de chasse), renamed trench knives (couteau de tranchée) for the purpose, in 1914 they were given to infantry soldiers, but the number was soon unsufficient and if practical to cut bread, they were unefficient in hand to hand fights, so soldiers were later equipped with fixed kitchen knives or with the famous "Vengeur"..
these examples were made by the Manufacture d'Armes et Cycles de St-Etienne
dscf7321.jpg
dscf0301.jpg

a team of "trench cleaners" (Equipe SZ, 290è R.I. (section "Zigouilleurs" ) cf/https://www.tircollection.com/t32241-armes-blanches-des-nettoyeurs-de-tranchees-ww1
trench17.jpg

Thanks for this interesting information along with the fascinating and a bit haunting picture of the soldiers.

It's not widely known that the iconic Italian switchblade stiletto was actually patterned after an earlier French model. The classic Italian switchblade that was featured in so many movies and is still quite popular today was developed in Maniago, Italy in the late 1800s. Other regions of Italy such as Campobasso and Scarperia also produced switchblade models, but in different styles than the more recognizable Maniago Stilettos. The switchblade knives of Maniago from the late 19th century were close copies of earlier French switchblades from the mid 19th century. Enclosed is such a French example from the Chatellerault region.

View attachment 1273758

It's not widely known that the iconic Italian switchblade stiletto was actually patterned after an earlier French model. The classic Italian switchblade that was featured in so many movies and is still quite popular today was developed in Maniago, Italy in the late 1800s. Other regions of Italy such as Campobasso and Scarperia also produced switchblade models, but in different styles than the more recognizable Maniago Stilettos. The switchblade knives of Maniago from the late 19th century were close copies of earlier French switchblades from the mid 19th century. Enclosed is such a French example from the Chatellerault region.
View attachment 1273758

A nicely made knife, Mr. Herder, IMO!!:thumbsup:

A Bargeon made in the 60s in Thiers. Far less sophisticated than those made in Chatellerault long before. (the character portrayed is Lino Ventura, a famous actor, a former wrestler).
View attachment 1273792

Also this one, JP!!:cool: Certainly better than all the poorly fitted Maniago "tourist specials" one sees!!:eek::D

Simple friction-blade knives! I finally found the Nontron I wanted! I've had the Opinel for a few years. Now my goal is to carry and sharpen (not necessarily in that order!) both of these knives to compare them. They both have turn-rings to lock them open; the Opinel has a stainless blade, and the Nontron's is carbon steel. They both have Ebony handles, and the Nontron is slightly longer at 12 cm, vs. the Opinel's 11 cm. I love the stamped blades, which should remain legible!!
The race is on (slowly!:D)!Ebony pair 1.jpg Ebony pair 2.jpg

Back