French regional knives...

One more addition to the little primer being constructed here, is "cran force" anything different than "slipjoint?"

A traditional American slip joint ( the ones i've seen) is a "cran plat". Flat notch. On some French knives the joint and the spring are differently shaped with a "V" notch of the tang which matches with a "v" protrusion of the spring. It's called a "cran forcé", forced notch. It works the same way, it just requires more strength to close the knife.

nbCKDgEh.jpg

Dan.

The Top 2 illustrations are certainly of the "Slipjoint" design and bottom 2 are what you find on "Lockback" designs. Certainly more pressure needed to raise the Lock, but certainly a safer locking design.

The Top 2 illustrations are certainly of the "Slipjoint" design and bottom 2 are what you find on "Lockback" designs. Certainly more pressure needed to raise the Lock, but certainly a safer locking design.

The bottom 2 illustrations are "cran forcé" illustrations. If you look close you will see the tang notch and the spring protrusion are bevelled. Not the case for a lockback.

Dan.

To my French citoyens/ amis/camarades ;) apologies for using rough language-in a foreign tongue it never sounds so bad :D In this country, which has two equal official languages - some of the worst words you can use relate to the devil ;) might sound tame to the secular or foreigners but it aint :D That said, I'm not at all Puritan, largely agéd and always been foul-mouthed;) as for the word I referenced, I could be it...but I strongly hold to the idea that if you can't laugh at yourself, you've no right to laugh at others:cool: self importance, self-regard are no no things for me which is why I question all politicos. I like irony, which I believe can be a Gallic and universal quality.

Back to the point, France offers a richness in regions, foods, drinks (I don't dislike Cider or Calva, fine rustic drinks) dialects, architecture, history and perspectives. Moreover, as we see here it boasts a fascinating panorama of Cutlery :thumbsup:

Thanks, Will

To my French citoyens/ amis/camarades ;) apologies for using rough language-in a foreign tongue it never sounds so bad :D In this country, which has two equal official languages - some of the worst words you can use relate to the devil ;) might sound tame to the secular or foreigners but it aint :D That said, I'm not at all Puritan, largely agéd and always been foul-mouthed;) as for the word I referenced, I could be it...but I strongly hold to the idea that if you can't laugh at yourself, you've no right to laugh at others:cool: self importance, self-regard are no no things for me which is why I question all politicos. I like irony, which I believe can be a Gallic and universal quality.

Back to the point, France offers a richness in regions, foods, drinks (I don't dislike Cider or Calva, fine rustic drinks) dialects, architecture, history and perspectives. Moreover, as we see here it boasts a fascinating panorama of Cutlery :thumbsup:

Thanks, Will
No offence intended, Will :) I must say that in some parts con, sometime decorated with "putaing" (g added and pronounced) is used as a punctuation!:rolleyes::D
Sorry :(:D

Last edited:
The bottom 2 illustrations are "cran forcé" illustrations. If you look close you will see the tang notch and the spring protrusion are bevelled. Not the case for a lockback.

Dan.
I build Lockbacks and the Rear of the Notch is a 7-8 degree relief angle to allow for smooth engagement and disengagement, however the Spring Lock tab is square not relieved to eliminate any Up-Down blade play.

Prester John answered all the questions but the first one. Here's my take:

In the north of France Laguiole is pronounced LAG-YOL. In the south many people, though not all, pronounce it LA-YOL.

Be aware this talk about how a name has to be pronounced can turn bad in France.

Dan.

I have a co-worker who grew up in southern France (I forget the town, but I think it was somewhere near Pau; he could see the Pyrenees clearly from his home town). I asked him how he would pronounce Laguiole, and, to an American ear, it came out as log-e-ole. Log as in from a tree, long e as in the word tree, and ole as in the word hole.

Wow. Thank you Gentlemen for the information. As I have looked further into it for myself I have found that we CAN buy authentic French made Laguiole knives right here in the states. I was just a little bit surprised as to how expensive they are, but I think I'm going to find the right one and pull the trigger anyway. It just seems to be something so unique I have to have AT LEAST one! To me, they kind of resemble like a lot more fancy and elegant Texas Toothpick. Anyway..Thank y'all so much!!

Wow. Thank you Gentlemen for the information. As I have looked further into it for myself I have found that we CAN buy authentic French made Laguiole knives right here in the states. I was just a little bit surprised as to how expensive they are, but I think I'm going to find the right one and pull the trigger anyway. It just seems to be something so unique I have to have AT LEAST one! To me, they kind of resemble like a lot more fancy and elegant Texas Toothpick. Anyway..Thank y'all so much!!
I have over 40 knives, but my Laguiole is my favourite. And I plan to get at least a couple more, eventually. Hope you find a good one. As they say in France: "bonne chance!"

I build Lockbacks and the Rear of the Notch is a 7-8 degree relief angle to allow for smooth engagement and disengagement, however the Spring Lock tab is square not relieved to eliminate any Up-Down blade play.

An image is sometimes better than a long speech. Here's what i was referring to about lockbacks:

L5SCLRph.jpg

Picture borrowed to Jsdistin. If i well remember.

Dan.

apologies for using rough language-in a foreign tongue

Will, there was no offense, no need to apologize.

I strongly hold to the idea that if you can't laugh at yourself, you've no right to laugh at others

That's questionable. How could i laugh at myself? I'm not funny at all or to say the least, not as funny as those i laugh at.

Dan.

An image is sometimes better than a long speech. Here's what i was referring to about lockbacks:

L5SCLRph.jpg

Picture borrowed to Jsdistin. If i well remember.

Dan.
This image shows there is more than one way to design the Lock tab and Tang Notch. The short nub riding on the base of the Tab is an interesting way of tuning the spring to match the height of the Blade Spine. Thank You for the photo it opens my eyes to another makers lock design concept.

My Laguiole collection

1EXhq63.jpg

NWBmwil.jpg

HGwS2Gu.jpg

l2T5y2B.jpg

Both the Laguiole En Aubrac with the Juniper scales and the Laguiole Rossignol ( Thiers) were bought in France 20 years ago, the Laguiole En Aubrac with African Zebu was purchased via a US distributor. Something I’ve noticed between the two En Aubrac’s is the older one is more rustic in build and the newer production more refined. Also the pull on both my 20 year old knives are extremely heavy which I like, where as the newer En Aubrac with the Zebu is very light in pull, not flimsy just light and very smooth then snaps in place, and the back spring is more like a Case as far as tension where my older two you need to be very deliberate to close.

My Laguiole collection

1EXhq63.jpg

NWBmwil.jpg

HGwS2Gu.jpg

l2T5y2B.jpg

Both the Laguiole En Aubrac with the Juniper scales and the Laguiole Rossignol ( Thiers) were bought in France 20 years ago, the Laguiole En Aubrac with African Zebu was purchased via a US distributor. Something I’ve noticed between the two En Aubrac’s is the older one is more rustic in build and the newer production more refined. Also the pull on both my 20 year old knives are extremely heavy which I like, where as the newer En Aubrac with the Zebu is very light in pull, not flimsy just light and very smooth then snaps in place, and the back spring is more like a Case as far as tension where my older two you need to be very deliberate to close.
Three nice looking and top condition:thumbsup:! Sadly Rossignol (a sister company of Parapluie à l'épreuve in Thérias group with Lion Sabatier) have closed their shops since! I always appreciated the root yet effective look.
LeA s are more sophisticated. I dig the juniper :)

Thanks Jolipapa, the Juniper I purchased for my father and the Rossignol I purchased for myself at the time I was a Chef traveling around Europe and my funds were limited, the Juniper stayed in my fathers kitchen draw for 10 years virtually untouched and then he gifted it back to me 10 years ago. The Rossignol is a nice no frills working knife extremely solid well built it has some battle scars the Juniper scales also have some worn spots but disappear with a bit of oil.
Somehow through 7+moves I’ve managed to hold onto the Rossignol’s plastic sleeve and original paperwork.

nzK10eZ.jpg

iylBaHX.jpg

9MTDEKd.jpg

a7l4bBa.jpg

YrJRAQx.jpg

My Laguiole collection

1EXhq63.jpg

NWBmwil.jpg

HGwS2Gu.jpg

l2T5y2B.jpg

Lovely Lags. :thumbsup:

Back