French regional knives...

The traditional Laguiole is a peasant knife. They needed a real big blade to work with it.

I want a big knife. A 12 cm Laguiole is bigger than I am usually interested in, but I need a big knife for breads, cheeses, and such. I already have plenty of pocketknives.

It's the same reason that I'm going to get a full-sized Resolza when I finally get around to ordering one.

jQEzLL3.jpg

9fhnLxo.jpg

lYsGWTC.jpg

POgc7vm.jpg

Nz97NWm.jpg

Just got this 12cm Laguiole Honoré Durand with olive wood scales, 14C28 steel. I think it is very elegant.

Nice one, with use it'll get a bit darker on the handle. 14C28 is a remarkable steel, a clear improvement over 12C27.
Thank you, Alain. I think most of their knives are now in 14C28. I like it a lot. The handle should get darker, as I intend to carry this one often, maybe every day.

I know you said the laguiole was not your favourite French pattern, but it may be mine. In fact, it may be my favourite knife right now. I had been carrying the Case trapper a lot, because I like the large handle and large clip blade, but this laguiole has a better handle and a larger clip blade, and fits in my pocket pretty easily. And the steel is better. I bought a leather pouch from the knife maker to protect it.

I have read that the laguiole was influenced by the Spanish navaja, but this handle is more "ergonomic".

jQEzLL3.jpg

9fhnLxo.jpg

lYsGWTC.jpg

POgc7vm.jpg

Nz97NWm.jpg

Just got this 12cm Laguiole Honoré Durand with olive wood scales, 14C28 steel. I think it is very elegant.

Glad to see you did indeed get a Laguiole. I personally love the scent of olive wood, great choice and a really nice knife overall!

kamagong kamagong Did you get yours ordered or still trying to decide? That's how I end up with multiples of the same knife. :eek:

Âchillepattada Âchillepattada Glad to have you here, ready to enable the rest of us on our next knife purchases! You might be able to help me with my next choice of French cutlery!

I got these a few months back and I'm still head over heels. These are from the maker of the venerable Douk-Douk. I hear they're called the knife with two nails. Elegantly simple, extremely light.

Le Montpellier, both in blonde horn. They say this was originally a sailors knife. Quite a departure from the Navy knife we see around here.

The next is the Capucin or Capuchin? This one is in what is called Snakewood in france, but I believe it's called marble wood here in the US.

I believe a Sheffield company "borrowed" that capuchin design, which was named after a cowl that monks wore!! Thanks for the info Steve!! draggat draggat

Back