French regional knives...

As long as I was shopping, I also ordered a nice No8 Garden Knife.
GNSA14K.jpg

I like the spear point on my garden knife.

Ray, Just curious - are those rosettes purely decorative, or do they provide necessary reinforcement for attaching the scales?
Beautiful knife, BTW.

The pins are peened pins with brass collars (as far as I can tell) that are indeed holding the scales.
The two on the ends are through pins but the center ones stop at the liner.

Thank you, yes it is a beauty. :)

Last edited:
Are you saying that what I call collars or roves are "rosettes"? I get no sense that they provide a better hand grip though they do allow the pin to be peened over securely without cracking the horn. More useful than just pretty, I think.

Are you saying that what I call collars or roves are "rosettes"? I get no sense that they provide a better hand grip though they do allow the pin to be peened over securely without cracking the horn. More useful than just pretty, I think.
Yes. Here is a "maïs" (corn) a peasant's knife used around Castres to clean the corn silk. The rosettes prevent the knife from sliding.
mais.jpg
The knife used for tobacco had more rosettes all over. Juice would flow between the rosettes and not stay on the handle
tabac.jpg
(pictures ©Lemasson)

Last edited:
Those in your photos Jolipapa Jolipapa , are almost like hob nails. My pins and roves are pretty flush. Cool to know though that these were used to add grip to a knife. Obvious from your photos that they add "texture".

Back