French regional knives...

Another new knife for me from Coutellerie Le Camarguais:

MgBy219.jpg

These are such great knives right Vince? Slender and elegant form, lockable, pretty, great slicers and solid build all in one folder. What's not to like?
Yes, Ray. I love locking knives, whether a lockback like this one, or a palanquilla system. In fact, Fontenille Pataud makes a Corsican knife, l'Anto, which uses a palanquille to lock the knife. It's one of several on my list. These French knives are so elegant!

Vince, that Le Thiers Nature is a wonderful knife! Very nice choice of handle covers on yours! One concern I had with mine is that the tip is just barely recessed in the handle.

I picked up an l'anto at the same time. I didn't have a GEC 23 to compare it to but it's very similar to that knife. It is rather large and feels very stout, the lock feels strong. I missed out on the GEC Bull lock knives so this was an alternative of sorts. Can't go wrong if it looks interesting to you. Unfortunately I'm in the process of moving and it is in a box somewhere at the moment. Here's a picture of the photo the dealer took....

Vince, that Le Thiers Nature is a wonderful knife! Very nice choice of handle covers on yours! One concern I had with mine is that the tip is just barely recessed in the handle.

I picked up an l'anto at the same time. I didn't have a GEC 23 to compare it to but it's very similar to that knife. It is rather large and feels very stout, the lock feels strong. I missed out on the GEC Bull lock knives so this was an alternative of sorts. Can't go wrong if it looks interesting to you. Unfortunately I'm in the process of moving and it is in a box somewhere at the moment. Here's a picture of the photo the dealer took....

Thanks, Steve. Yes, the tip of my Thiers knife is just barely recessed, but it is not proud. It looks better, that way, I guess with this knife. Mine came very sharp, and I think the steel holds an edge a long time. I am not going to break down cardboard with it. If I just touch it up occasionally with my ceramic rods, it should be fine. The wood is boxwood, an old traditional wood, which I love. I will try to get a different material with each knife.

That is a beautiful l'Anto, and I had picked ram's horn for mine too! But I might get a Sperone and a Rondinara first, in different wood covers. Looking at the Laguiole Nature too. Then who knows? I like the St. Bernard, St. Martin, 5 Coqs, Basque Yatagan, etc.!

I always thought Fontenille Pataud's 5Coqs knife is a beautiful design. It took me well over a year to finally pull the trigger because I was concerned the knife wouldn't fit my hand, considering the 'beak' of the handle. My fears were completely unfounded and shortly after, I purchased another one in stag, unfortunately currently in storage but this ram horn is a favorite knife of mine.

Notice the swedge is only on the mark side.

The filework where the tang meets the backspring is nearly flawless.

Fits my hand very well. I can just barely fit into a large glove but xl fits better.... plenty of room on the handle

The backspring 'rooster comb' release file work has been rounded and polished so that there are no sharp edges when releasing the blade.

I see an olivewood version of this knife in my future!

Last edited:
I always thought Fontenille Pataud's 5Coqs knife is a beautiful design. It took me well over a year to finally pull the trigger because I was concerned the knife wouldn't fit my hand, considering the 'beak' of the handle. My fears were completely unfounded and shortly after, I purchased another one in stag, unfortunately currently in storage but this ram horn is a favorite knife of mine.

Notice the swedge is only on the mark side.

The filework where the tang meets the backspring is nearly flawless.

Fits my hand very well. I can just barely fit into a large glove but xl fits better.... plenty of room on the handle

The backspring 'rooster comb' release file work has been rounded and polished so that there are no sharp edges qhen releasing the blade.

I see an olivewood version of this knife in my future!
That is gorgeous! Thanks for showing it.

Back